The G8 is LG's HTC U11 moment

Winston P

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
Two years ago, I remember watching the HTC U11 unveil, and I remember feeling impressed, but simultaneously worried for the company that made it. The U11's Edge Sense was genuinely cool, and maybe a technological marvel, but it failed to present a real use case (I think the best application for it would be a clone of Reachability, but I digress). And beyond that one cool feature, the U11 felt dated next to its closest competition (the Galaxy S8). It looked dated. It couldn't exceed any of its key specs. And there was a genuine sense that its manufacturer was struggling to keep up.

Now, we can tell that prophecy has very much come true. The U11 to me is the single defining moment where HTC lost its last chance to stay competitive in the market, and the U12+ may very well be the last HTC flagship we see. And yet, not a tear is wept.

I'm afraid we may very well be seeing LG's U11 moment with the G8. Its Z Camera is genuinely cool, again, but fails to present a use case. Its Crystal Sound OLED is as well, but again, no reason the speaker couldn't have been a slit up top. And LG seems to have whammied itself into offering, what I can tell, are at least three different global SKUs for the G8: a dual-camera version headed to the US, a triple-cam for Korea, and a G8S model that we've barely heard a peep about officially except for specs that somehow has a triple camera but is meant to be a cheaper, S10E competitor? This may very well be the moment we look back on and see as LG's fall. Thoughts?

eric12341

Banned
Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Not the same, the only reason HTC fell was because they decided to drop the headphone jack. LG will never fall, the only reason their phones are seen as underwhelming is because it doesn't have a Samsung logo on it.

LilSweetLin

Apr 7, 2018
Visit site
Not the same, the only reason HTC fell was because they decided to drop the headphone jack. LG will never fall, the only reason their phones are seen as underwhelming is because it doesn't have a Samsung logo on it.

No, that's not the only reason. It's because they add gimmick after gimmick, while failing to promote their best feature by far--the quad DAC. When I owned my V30, I loved the quad DAC, because nothing from any other company comes close. I was also getting fantastic battery life.

That being said, I sold my V30 after only two weeks. Why? The signal reception was trash. I was never able to get full bars, even at home. And while out and about in poor reception areas, I'd get none, where with my Nexus 6P, I'd still get a bar or two.

Also, LG's UI is in desperate need of a visual overhaul. Finally, LG's theme store is no where near as comprehensive as the Samsung theme store.

eric12341

Banned
Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
No, that's not the only reason. It's because they add gimmick after gimmick, while failing to promote their best feature by far--the quad DAC. When I owned my V30, I loved the quad DAC, because nothing from any other company comes close. I was also getting fantastic battery life.

That being said, I sold my V30 after only two weeks. Why? The signal reception was trash. I was never able to get full bars, even at home. And while out and about in poor reception areas, I'd get none, where with my Nexus 6P, I'd still get a bar or two.

Also, LG's UI is in desperate need of a visual overhaul. Finally, LG's theme store is no where near as comprehensive as the Samsung theme store.

So.... the power share charging from Samsung can be seen as a gimmick too... Even moreso in fact. The UI can easily be replaced with a launcher. I got better reception with my V30 than I had with any other phone I previously owned, maybe you had a dud. My V40 is even better. I can almost guarantee that if the G8 was the S10 the whole tech industry would be brownosing the crap out of Samsung.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
So.... the power share charging from Samsung can be seen as a gimmick too... Even moreso in fact. The UI can easily be replaced with a launcher. I got better reception with my V30 than I had with any other phone I previously owned, maybe you had a dud. My V40 is even better. I can almost guarantee that if the G8 was the S10 the whole tech industry would be brownosing the crap out of Samsung.

Why are you so defensive? Who cares? Buy your LG and enjoy the hell out of it.

Last edited:

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Just tired of people and the press not giving LG the credit they deserve just because they aren't Samsung. I'm not buying the G8 or the V50 as my V40 is still more than sufficient enough.

Samsung has their share of haters too, no one gets out alive. Just don't take it so seriously, unless you own LG stock 😂

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I worry a bit about LG but not as much as I do/did about HTC. LG has a huge market share in appliances and so they have the money to pull up their socks and go at it if they so choose. They do try to innovate and have some great features on their phones - I just think it's too soon to compare them to HTC in terms of this latest flagship being their defining moment.

However, I do agree with the user that stated that one reason for this lack of "LG love" is due to people not knowing about the brand/only buying the "what's in right now" brand - Samsung or Apple. If LG stepped up its marketing and advertising a bit more, I think that could help.

Again, I think that time will tell.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Not even close. Losing the headphone jack hasn't sunk anyone yet.

younger996

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm reading this on a HTC U11...... I have it over 2 years and it has worked flawlessly. I just fancy a change and the G8 seems to tick all my boxes.
My only concern is the software (I don't like the look of the UI)

If the G8 can serve me as well as the U11 for a couple of years, I'll be over the moon.

It's a shame HTC has gone down the road it has, I've been using their phones since the beginning........but hay ho.............. next!!!

younger996

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
A couple of screenshots from my G8 posted using my U11

There are some fantastic wallpapers for these QHD screens available on the Web.
46d0d08dc2c31480219fa8988e88a942.jpg
50203f2f7a432d3818ec4ce58be61264.jpg
ade53a4939c36ffada564b8efdbc8953.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa