I'm thinking about getting the LG G8 on T-Mobile; they're selling it for $620, which seems like a great deal for a high end phone. I'm concerned about the screen speaker tech and how it will make my calls sound.

Is the screen speaker on that phone a good replacement for a real ear piece? Or is it a useless gimmick? How well do calls sound on it?
    Morty2264 likes this.
    05-25-2019 08:59 PM
    I'm thinking about getting the LG G8 on T-Mobile; they're selling it for $620, which seems like a great deal for a high end phone. I'm concerned about the screen speaker tech and how it will make my calls sound.

Is the screen speaker on that phone a good replacement for a real ear piece? Or is it a useless gimmick? How well do calls sound on it?
    You won't notice a difference. Calls sound clear and I haven't felt that it makes a difference for phone calls. For media consumption it's not the same as redular front facing speakers but it's close.
    05-26-2019 12:10 PM
    For media consumption try this tip from GSMARENA.
    https://m.gsmarena.com/lg_g8_thinq-review-1917p3.php

"After playing with the sound settings, we found out that switching on the DTS:X 3D Surround feature found in the Sound sub-menu, the audio quality improved drastically. To be exact, the "Side to side" preset produced the best results - the sound coming out from the display was a bit clearer, the vocals were more pronounced and lively without ruining the bass."

Cheers!
    05-26-2019 08:02 PM
    ...Is the screen speaker on that phone a good replacement for a real ear piece? Or is it a useless gimmick? How well do calls sound on it?
    I have a significant hearing loss and I usually stream the audio from my LG G8 to my hearing aids. When I first got the phone I was curious about the speaker in the display and I tried a call without streaming to my hearing aids. For me, the sound was much clearer than I've experienced with any other phone, although I still prefer to stream the audio to my hearing aids.
    thunder18 likes this.
    05-27-2019 08:09 AM

It’s anything but a gimmick. It’s amazing. But a 6.1” display is just too big for me so not getting a g8
    05-27-2019 05:33 PM
    I wouldn't call the speaker "amazing" by any stretch, but it does work fairly well overall. I still find it a bit annoying that when taking a call people around you can hear the caller since the whole screen is a speaker. So if privacy is your thing, this may not be for you.

As for using it as a speaker to watch videos etc, it is average at best. I still find myself cupping the speaker vent at the bottom of the phone to hear things clearly. The screen speaker is just to scattered sounding.

As for the screen size, I find it to be perfect size.
    05-28-2019 08:34 AM
    I've heard that call quality is really good! I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    05-29-2019 08:34 AM