How is the screen speaker on the LG G8?

anon(5743667)

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm thinking about getting the LG G8 on T-Mobile; they're selling it for $620, which seems like a great deal for a high end phone. I'm concerned about the screen speaker tech and how it will make my calls sound.

Is the screen speaker on that phone a good replacement for a real ear piece? Or is it a useless gimmick? How well do calls sound on it?

Last edited:

Casualballer

Apr 28, 2019
Visit site
I'm thinking about getting the LG G8 on T-Mobile; they're selling it for $620, which seems like a great deal for a high end phone. I'm concerned about the screen speaker tech and how it will make my calls sound.

Is the screen speaker on that phone a good replacement for a real ear piece? Or is it a useless gimmick? How well do calls sound on it?

You won't notice a difference. Calls sound clear and I haven't felt that it makes a difference for phone calls. For media consumption it's not the same as redular front facing speakers but it's close.

thunder18

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
For media consumption try this tip from GSMARENA.
https://m.gsmarena.com/lg_g8_thinq-review-1917p3.php

"After playing with the sound settings, we found out that switching on the DTS:X 3D Surround feature found in the Sound sub-menu, the audio quality improved drastically. To be exact, the "Side to side" preset produced the best results - the sound coming out from the display was a bit clearer, the vocals were more pronounced and lively without ruining the bass."

Cheers!

Willy_P

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
...Is the screen speaker on that phone a good replacement for a real ear piece? Or is it a useless gimmick? How well do calls sound on it?

I have a significant hearing loss and I usually stream the audio from my LG G8 to my hearing aids. When I first got the phone I was curious about the speaker in the display and I tried a call without streaming to my hearing aids. For me, the sound was much clearer than I've experienced with any other phone, although I still prefer to stream the audio to my hearing aids.

blazers88

May 9, 2019
Visit site

It’s anything but a gimmick. It’s amazing. But a 6.1” display is just too big for me so not getting a g8

OhAlfie

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't call the speaker "amazing" by any stretch, but it does work fairly well overall. I still find it a bit annoying that when taking a call people around you can hear the caller since the whole screen is a speaker. So if privacy is your thing, this may not be for you.

As for using it as a speaker to watch videos etc, it is average at best. I still find myself cupping the speaker vent at the bottom of the phone to hear things clearly. The screen speaker is just to scattered sounding.

As for the screen size, I find it to be perfect size.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87