Please Help Me With My LG G8 ThinQ!!!

Ookami_Seiza

Jan 25, 2018
Visit site
I chose this phone over Samsung this time because of the the incredible memory that it comes with,but it has features that are really frustrating me and I just can't figure them out or change things. Here is a run-down:

Date and Time:

I can't keep the time on the 24 hour clock. Every time I turn my phone off, it reverts the settings back to the 12 hour clock.

I can't find a way to have the date read DD/MM/YY(YY)

Keyboard Functions:

The predictive text is a joke compared to Samsung's. They give you only 3 words and most of the time the words suggested are a joke and you're pretty much forced to type in each individual word, along with adding a space after each word. The predictive text also doesn't complete words for you if you type a partial word and hit the space bar. Not to mention that a lot of the predictive text doesn't make any sense when typing words. You try typing one word and it gives you a completely different set of word suggestions completely irrelevant to what I'm needing.

Also, each key doesn't provide you with symbols and foreign language letter, it's simply symbols. While it's nice to have the symbols, it's frustrating that the foreign language letters are not provided.

Emojis. What gives? The Emojis on the Galaxy, at least my old Galaxy A5, that FB translates to their own are so much better than what the LG G8 ThinQ has. On the same token, the Emojis for general for the G8 ThinQ for chatting online and within texting are equally as bad.

Is there any way to change all the above to make it feel, look, and function like my beloved features that
my Samsung Galaxy A5 provided?

General Functionality:

I don't understand what the notch at the top is for, but when I try to change it so that it doesn't exist anymore, it keeps reverting to showing the notch again each time I turn my phone off or restart it. How can I get it to function like my Galaxy?

Camera and Gallery:

The gallery is so difficult to use and it keeps sending me to my photo editing apps to do the quick touch-ups that I'd normally do in my Samsung Galaxy gallery such as filters and resizing. How can I make this like the Galaxy?

I'm sure that there will be more that crops up, but this is all for now.

Thank you!!!!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I chose this phone over Samsung this time because of the the incredible memory that it comes with,but it has features that are really frustrating me and I just can't figure them out or change things. Here is a run-down:

Date and Time:

I can't keep the time on the 24 hour clock. Every time I turn my phone off, it reverts the settings back to the 12 hour clock.

I can't find a way to have the date read DD/MM/YY(YY)
Do you have a US version (LMG820QM7, LM-G820UMB, LMG820UM0 or LMG820UM1) or some other version? Some show time and date one way, others show it the other way.

The predictive text is a joke compared to Samsung's.
I stall the Samsung keyboard or SwiftKey Keyboard. (And remember, predictive typing learns. It takes a while. It's not going to predict what you're going to type next until it learns what you type.)

They give you only 3 words and most of the time the words suggested are a joke and you're pretty much forced to type in each individual word
I sometimes use the suggested word, one after another, for an entire sentence, with SwiftKey, but I've been using it for a few years.

along with adding a space after each word.
Once you've typed enough of the word for it to be the predicted word (or one of them), tap the word and you'll get it and a space. (Or, it you type it and the center suggested word is itself, and that's the one you want, hit space, and you'll get itself and a space.

The predictive text also doesn't complete words for you if you type a partial word and hit the space bar.
It should - if the predicted word is the center one. SwiftKey does, and I think Samsung does too (can't remember, it's been too long). That's a standard Android metaphor.

Not to mention that a lot of the predictive text doesn't make any sense when typing words. You try typing one word and it gives you a completely different set of word suggestions completely irrelevant to what I'm needing.
As I said, it's based on what it learns from what you type. If you type 2 totally different subjects and switch between them regularly, it's just not going to work very well. (Say you write about hard-hat diving, and also flying, doing a lot of diving. The words it predicts after dive probably won't be the right ones, because you're on the other kind of diving now.

Also, each key doesn't provide you with symbols and foreign language letter, it's simply symbols. While it's nice to have the symbols, it's frustrating that the foreign language letters are not provided.
Set the language to the one you're currently typing in. (If you type in 2 languages, you have to have both installed.)

Emojis. What gives? The Emojis on the Galaxy, at least my old Galaxy A5, that FB translates to their own are so much better than what the LG G8 ThinQ has. On the same token, the Emojis for general for the G8 ThinQ for chatting online and within texting are equally as bad.
That's a keyboard function. Find a keyboard that has emojis you like. (SwiftKey has whole sets you can download - for free.)

Is there any way to change all the above to make it feel, look, and function like my beloved features that my Samsung Galaxy A5 provided?
Exactly? Only with the Samsung Keyboard, set up the way it was on the A5, connected to the same Samsung account (to keep your old predictions).

I don't understand what the notch at the top is for, but when I try to change it so that it doesn't exist anymore, it keeps reverting to showing the notch again each time I turn my phone off or restart it. How can I get it to function like my Galaxy?
The notch at the top of the screen? The front camera. Nothing you can do about that.

The gallery is so difficult to use and it keeps sending me to my photo editing apps to do the quick touch-ups that I'd normally do in my Samsung Galaxy gallery such as filters and resizing. How can I make this like the Galaxy?
Only by installing the Samsung Gallery app.

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Where exactly are you changing the time and date display options? Is it in the system settings menu, under Date & Time? Or are you looking in a clock app's settings? Also, are you powering the phone down every night, or just turning the screen off and letting it idle? There's generally no need to completely power down a phone on a regular basis, so if certain settings are getting reset after each cold boot, this would be one way to avoid it.

Predictive text is depending on the keyboard. If you don't like the Samsung Keyboard or Swiftkey, as suggested above, there's always Gboard, which has excellent predictive text.

To hide the notch, try Nacho Notch.

Editing from within the gallery app is dependent on the gallery app. As Rukbat suggested above, you could try installing Samsung's own gallery app (if it's compatible). Otherwise, consider using Google Photos, which has some decent filters and basic editing tools. If you want more powerful editing tools, though, you should use a separate photo editor, like Snapseed.