LG G8x Impressions

uw

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Just received the phone yesterday. As flagship phones go now days, it's fast and smooth. It's bigger than my past few phones, but I guess the 6.4 inch screen is the norm now days. Feels nice and premium. I was never a fan of the notch, so the teardrop look is better (although I would still rather have a bezel). The screen looks really good. I can't tell the difference between 2k or 1080, so this isn't an issue for me.

In display fingerprint scanner is interesting. Not as fast as G7's FPS or any scanners that are on back of the phone, but it works fine. You just have to press and hold the finger little longer. I've always like the FPS on the front, but we'll see how this one does once I install a screen protector.

I am having an issue getting more themes though. For some reason, there's no way for me to download additional themes from LG Smartworld app. It's weird and bit annoying. I hope Att didn't disable that feature.

As for the dual screen, I'm still waiting for it. It's suppose to arrive by Friday, so we'll see. I'll update this post when I had some time with the dual screen case.

Last edited:

uw

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
20191031_064459.jpg20191031_064534.jpg

Just received the dual screen case yesterday. Haven't been this excited for a phone (or phone accessory) in a while, so I was really looking forward to using this. I have to say, I'm really digging the dual screen option. The hardware is solid and it feels like one of those rugged cases.

Two cons so far. One is the size. It really does make this a two handed phone with the case, but if you have big hands, then this shouldn't be an issue. I always thought the G7/G8 size was ideal, but the size isn't a deal breaker. 2nd con is the inability to use the comfort screen mode when using both screens. Wish they had that feature.

But having the second screen option does make you feel more productive. As you can see in my picture, I'm using the second screen for my agenda. This allows me to just open the case see my daily schedule, instead of having to scroll through the screens. And as reviewers have noted, running two apps at once does make everything tasks more convenient. Map and texting, Youtube and browsing, so many possibilities. So far, no issues when multitasking. Everything seems to work fine, such as moving apps from primary to secondary and vice versa has been smooth.

I've read most of the reviews and I think the negative ones are being too harsh. I don't believe this was ever meant to be a 2 in 1 device, where opening up the phone would create a small tablet. If that's your mindset, then this won't work for you. Get the Galaxy Fold instead. But for those who can use the second screen to multitask and perhaps be more productive, then I think LG is on to something. And for the price, this is a steal!

As for those who think the phone by itself isn't anything special, I have to disagree. This phone checks off everything on the feature set. It has expandable storage, headphone jack, IP rating, flat screen with the teardrop (hate the notch, teardrop is acceptable), fingerprint scanner (although this might be one of it's weak points) and the relatively low price (this might be the real flagship killer).

guapinoy

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Just received the phone yesterday. As flagship phones go now days, it's fast and smooth. It's bigger than my past few phones, but I guess the 6.4 inch screen is the norm now days. Feels nice and premium. I was never a fan of the notch, so the teardrop look is better (although I would still rather have a bezel). The screen looks really good. I can't tell the difference between 2k or 1080, so this isn't an issue for me.

In display fingerprint scanner is interesting. Not as fast as G7's FPS or any scanners that are on back of the phone, but it works fine. You just have to press and hold the finger little longer. I've always like the FPS on the front, but we'll see how this one does once I install a screen protector.

I am having an issue getting more themes though. For some reason, there's no way for me to download additional themes from LG Smartworld app. It's weird and bit annoying. I hope Att didn't disable that feature.

As for the dual screen, I'm still waiting for it. It's suppose to arrive by Friday, so we'll see. I'll update this post when I had some time with the dual screen case.

I got mine too from At&t, did you get a new line to take advantage of the deal? I did but I can't seem to activate it. I was wondering if you got a new line and were able to activate it.

uw

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I got a new line deal, but I had the same activation issue with the sim card that was sent. I had to call and request a new sim card, although it might have been easier to stop by the ATT store to get one.

guapinoy

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I got a new line deal, but I had the same activation issue with the sim card that was sent. I had to call and request a new sim card, although it might have been easier to stop by the ATT store to get one.

So you're waiting for a new sim card? So your new line is not activated yet? Because I had the same issue, I went to the store and they couldn't activate it because the line was "reserved". I have a feeling it's because we got our phone early and the Lg G8x is not due to come out until November 1, that's why there is the error.

uw

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Yes. That's what I was thinking too. Too new. At least I have the phone to enjoy. Hope you're enjoying yours.

guapinoy

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Yes. That's what I was thinking too. Too new. At least I have the phone to enjoy. Hope you're enjoying yours.

Yeah I am. I have the G8 also, so this is much bigger. Wish face unlock was still here, but the in display fingerprint works well. I don't know if you downloaded any Google Camera on it, but this one works well.

https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/f/changelog626/

I've been using it on my G8 and works well with the G8x.

I don't know if you tried, but if you go to a website and use Google Chrome on wide mode, you can actually watch an embeded video on both screens, I mean it gets cut off in the middle, but I really like browsing on Chrome wide mode.

Last edited:

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I had the same activation issue when I added a new line. I spent 2 hours in an att store and after about 10 calls and 3 sim cards, they finally got it activated. No one seemed to know why the issue was happening either.

guapinoy

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I had the same activation issue when I added a new line. I spent 2 hours in an att store and after about 10 calls and 3 sim cards, they finally got it activated. No one seemed to know why the issue was happening either.

Did you get to sign the terms and condition? That's what they told me I had to do at the store, they said that the line was reserved and I had to sign it, using the website www.att.com/tc or calling a number. But it always had an error. So I never got it to work. What ultimately fixed it, was it a sim issue? Who fixed it, the store or CSR on the phone?

I'm going to try again tomorrow to activate it. Hope it works.

uw

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I am. I have the G8 also, so this is much bigger. Wish face unlock was still here, but the in display fingerprint works well. I don't know if you downloaded any Google Camera on it, but this one works well.

https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/f/changelog626/

I've been using it on my G8 and works well with the G8x.

I don't know if you tried, but if you go to a website and use Google Chrome on wide mode, you can actually watch an embeded video on both screens, I mean it gets cut off in the middle, but I really like browsing on Chrome wide mode.

Thanks for this info. I was wondering how Google Camera would do with this hardware. I wanted to get the G8 (missed out on the free upgrade offer from BestBuy few weeks ago), but when this offer came, had to jump on it.

guapinoy

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for this info. I was wondering how Google Camera would do with this hardware. I wanted to get the G8 (missed out on the free upgrade offer from BestBuy few weeks ago), but when this offer came, had to jump on it.

Did you get the new sim and was able to activate it? I'm still having issues activation mine. Spent 2 hours on the phone and no one can solve it. I may have to go to the store and grab another sim.

uw

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Did you get the new sim and was able to activate it? I'm still having issues activation mine. Spent 2 hours on the phone and no one can solve it. I may have to go to the store and grab another sim.

Nope. Got the new SIM and it said it's not provisioned. Will try again later.

guapinoy

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Nope. Got the new SIM and it said it's not provisioned. Will try again later.

Good luck with the activation. After countless hours at the store and on the phone for the last couple of days. The escalation department recommend me just to return the device. I enjoyed it the last couple of days but the activation process was a headache. I literally burned through 6 new sim cards at the store and it still wouldn't activate.

NurzeScott

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Good luck with the activation. After countless hours at the store and on the phone for the last couple of days. The escalation department recommend me just to return the device. I enjoyed it the last couple of days but the activation process was a headache. I literally burned through 6 new sim cards at the store and it still wouldn't activate.

I haven’t been able to get mine activated..it was a totally new account porting a number in. Couldn’t get it activated online, by phone or in store after 3 SIM cards. They said a ticket would be opened and to expect 3-4 days for resolution.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Just received the dual screen case yesterday.

Just curious, but what are your thoughts on the teardrop on the second screen? There's no functional reason it's there (no camera or anything), and it looks like LG just cutting costs by using the regular G8X screen for both instead of two separate designs. It makes for symmetry, but they seem to be getting flak for not having a full screen for the second display.

uw

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

That's interesting. I wonder what would happen if SIM doesn't get activated? I'm not seeing the new number in my account yet.

uw

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Just curious, but what are your thoughts on the teardrop on the second screen? There's no functional reason it's there (no camera or anything), and it looks like LG just cutting costs by using the regular G8X screen for both instead of two separate designs. It makes for symmetry, but they seem to be getting flak for not having a full screen for the second display.

I actually don't notice it. I have a dark wall paper and use the dark mode, so the teardrop disappears.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

They aren't cutting costs, they actually utilized the exact same display as the phone so both screens would have the same color temperature. The v50's dual screen case used two different displays and they had issues with that.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Did you get to sign the terms and condition? That's what they told me I had to do at the store, they said that the line was reserved and I had to sign it, using the website www.att.com/tc or calling a number. But it always had an error. So I never got it to work. What ultimately fixed it, was it a sim issue? Who fixed it, the store or CSR on the phone?

I'm going to try again tomorrow to activate it. Hope it works.

Nope, never got to the terms and conditions page. The guy at the store had to call tech support and then kept getting referred to different departments in order to figure it out. Eventually he got to the right person and they were able to activate it. The imei and iccid wasn't matching what they had in their system. I'm just glad I didn't have to send it back.