Optimus S Overheating?

SinsNTragedies

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone found a fix for the Optimus S overheating? I have no overclocking app or any other program that controls the CPU on my phone, but was looking into it and wanted to know if anyone thought this would help with the Optimus S becoming increasingly hot and laggy. Currently rooted and running Reborn Rom.

-Thanks

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Re: Optimus S Overheating???

My optimus has gotten warm, but never hot. Are you sure there isn't something not expected running in the background or possibly something specific to your phone? I mention this because overheating isn't a common complaint for this phone.

blackops1125

Advisor
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site

Has anyone found a fix for the Optimus S overheating? I have no overclocking app or any other program that controls the CPU on my phone, but was looking into it and wanted to know if anyone thought this would help with the Optimus S becoming increasingly hot and laggy. Currently rooted and running Reborn Rom.

-Thanks

These phones can get pretty hot, up to 104*F- 107*F if your running apps and sucking down data. Ex: Running InTune Radio or doing something on the internet. It's usually not the cpu getting hot its the battery that is getting hot cause its sucking down all that power to run eveything.
I use Intune Radio just about every day at work, but to help with the heat I use my dock with a cooling fan to keep my temp around 86*F.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

The other possibility is you have low signal and it is constantly searching for signal.

Even then though my optimus has been warm but never really hot, but maybe my definition of hot is different as I've experienced Touch Pro hotness where it can almost hurt your hand and it stops charging for fear of burning something.

c4manceph

May 20, 2010
Visit site

I was under the impression that Reborn had been overclocked.

Read the Features/Changelog for this ROM and find:
+ Kernel
- picasticks v6 kernel (source) - Thanks Picasticks
- overclocked @ 748 MHz w/ interactive governor on boot
- able to be OC'ed up to 864 if your phone can handle it

This phone runs @ 600MHz stock so unless you changed this setting you would be overclocked by default.

I'm not saying that this is your problem, just pointing out that you may very well be overclocked even though you stated the contrary.

Dorion-Grey

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site

Funny, my wifes phone runs hot like this too. it will be so hot the screen doesnt work unless you blow on it. She isnt rooted yet should i becarefull about this? i finnaly convinced her to let me root hers so ild rather not burn it up cause i missed something, she will kill me.

Alvis

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site

Funny, my wifes phone runs hot like this too. it will be so hot the screen doesnt work unless you blow on it. She isnt rooted yet should i becarefull about this? i finnaly convinced her to let me root hers so ild rather not burn it up cause i missed something, she will kill me.

wow thats pretty messed up, my phone used to get hot before i rooted it and stuff just from me raping the battery, but now since im rooted and have a custom rom my optimus is optimized :D i have had 0 heat issues and like sfhub said about searching for signal, i used to have that problem since i live in the sticks but now i have no issues at all with overheating not even during hour long calls, and check out my utility it makes rooting that much easier

http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...ty-will-root-install-custom-recovery-etc.html

blackops1125

Advisor
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
You do not want to over heat the phone to much you can do damage, and cut the life phone big time.

sent from my CM7 gingerbread Optimus S

Always happy to help, hit that thanks button if I did!

Kamron

Punk a$$ b1tcH
Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

As someone else mentionned, Reborn is overclocked out of the box. Using a program like SetCPU can be somewhat helpful because you can then set profiles which scale back the clock speed as certain temps are reached. If you need help regarding setting that up, KSmithInNY posted a good thread here.

I have also experienced a hot phone when I was charging the phone with dirty contacts; so, make sure both the phone contacts and the micro usb contacts are nice and clean.

im_electronic

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
my first optimus s had it's gps die. i had run stock then thunder then nameless then reborn. no heat issues though.

the gps chip had a weak solder job. so bad quality control. demand they trade it.

revert to stock first to see if issue persists.

Last edited:

Axelman0

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
This was an issue for me a couple days out of the summer in my car (I have no air conditioning and was using GPS too). I worked around it by taking the battery cover off, underclocking it, and keeping it in the shade. I highly recommend looking into some over/under clocking software if you're having temperature problems. Also make sure you aren't leaving your screen on all the time. The more power the battery needs to provide, the hotter it is going to get.

Edit: I was using reborn 2.2.1 at the time

blackops1125

Advisor
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
This was an issue for me a couple days out of the summer in my car (I have no air conditioning and was using GPS too). I worked around it by taking the battery cover off, underclocking it, and keeping it in the shade. I highly recommend looking into some over/under clocking software if you're having temperature problems. Also make sure you aren't leaving your screen on all the time. The more power the battery needs to provide, the hotter it is going to get.

Edit: I was using reborn 2.2.1 at the time
well said!!!

On3wheels

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
my first optimus s had it's gps die. i had run stock then thunder then nameless then reborn. no heat issues though.

the gps chip had a weak solder job. so bad quality control. demand they trade it.

revert to stock first to see if issue persists.

Bingo....revert back to stock. if issue persists. get it replaced. are you using a system monitor of some sort? how hot is it...mine "feels" hot all the time but runs between 70 F and 107 F if im playing that damn drag racing game (aka crackracing game) i pull out an ice-pak from the freezer and lay the phone on it while i play/charge/hotspot.
But if its going over 108 constantly or not operating properly, take it back asap. the longer you wait the more likely youll get a referb or have to pay to replace it. I took mine back after 3 weeks because there was some dust under the screen. things gotta last me 2 years years and ill be damned if im gonna pay 100 bucks now for a recently un-broken device.

kahzuya

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
I had 2 Optimus S's and both were runnin the cm7 mod. Whats funny is i had them both overclocked to the max and one would get nice and toasty and the other would stay pretty cool. Maybe it has something to do with different manufacturing dates/the way its made. Kind of like how processors are made for pc's, each one is a bit different.

blackops1125

Advisor
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I had 2 Optimus S's and both were runnin the cm7 mod. Whats funny is i had them both overclocked to the max and one would get nice and toasty and the other would stay pretty cool. Maybe it has something to do with different manufacturing dates/the way its made. Kind of like how processors are made for pc's, each one is a bit different.
That is excactly it, That is why some phones can overclock to 846mhz and others can not even go above 600Mhz. It is all base on quality when they where manufactured and solder together. Poor solder jobs will cause more heat build up or more important weak solder job will burn out and break connections.

Advantageinv

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I have an S and a VM Optimus. I have had both of the get hot to the point of over temp warning. It usually happens when running GPS wifi tether and or Navigation while pluged in. If I'm pulling a lot of data through the wifi tether, it wil heat up quick. I placed my winshield mount for the phone in a position where the A/C vent can blow on it and that keeps it cool.

Dorion-Grey

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Bingo....revert back to stock. if issue persists. get it replaced. are you using a system monitor of some sort? how hot is it...mine "feels" hot all the time but runs between 70 F and 107 F if im playing that damn drag racing game (aka crackracing game) i pull out an ice-pak from the freezer and lay the phone on it while i play/charge/hotspot.
But if its going over 108 constantly or not operating properly, take it back asap. the longer you wait the more likely youll get a referb or have to pay to replace it. I took mine back after 3 weeks because there was some dust under the screen. things gotta last me 2 years years and ill be damned if im gonna pay 100 bucks now for a recently un-broken device.

Okay I told about my wife's phone but here's the thing with my phone my phone overheats when I use the wifi tether but only when I'm using the report rom my phone can overclock to 700 maybe even closer to 800 when I'm using a c m 7 rom but it overheats but not while I'm using the wifi tether oddly enough

On3wheels

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Can't wait for battery technology to catch up...seems like that's where more of the heat comes from...under heavy current draw. Mine used to reboot all the time under heavy use...but with the ice pak it runs strong andeven seems to charge faster.

Sent from my LG-LS670 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38