Rooted, have some root tools, do I still need to flash a ROM?

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I've rooted my Sprint Optimus S, and this has enabled full functionality for a few maintenance apps I've downloaded (Root Tools, SD Maid, Diagnosis, and Titanium Backup). I've done what cleanup those programs allow, moved some of my apps to SD, and frozen or moved a couple of system apps.

Is this good enough?

Of course nobody can answer this properly besides me. My device certainly works well, up to a couple of issues I'm still having with TuneIn Radio, so from that perspective it's good enough. But could it be better? I don't know, because when I look at what the maintenance apps tell me, about the total RAM and ROM space available, and the portion actually being used, I don't know enough to use that information.

In any of the apps I listed, I can get the following figures (all in MB, Used / Total).

Internal data 109MB / 165MB .
Android OS 129 / 158
SD Card 7K / 14.38K

The question, then, is how much can I expect to gain from flashing a custom ROM. If I do that, can I bring that ROM usage figure down to half of what it is now, or would the potential reduction be a mere 5MB or 10MB? If I'm not going to realize a huge benefit from a custom ROM it won't be worth the trouble.

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
You need to have zvh update and hydrorom.

<< Deletes long post because I initially misunderstood your point...>>

So then, I should find and install the zvh update, and then hydrorom? At what point do I need to create a custom recovery? Or do I just need to back up the system again? I've already done two recent backups using Titanium, and have saved both backup sets separately on my PC.

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Wait, wait, wait...isn't LS670ZVH the same as Gingerbread on this phone?

There's no way I'm going to install GB on my device a second time, after all the trouble I got the first time. (Or at least, not until it has been fixed by Sprint and given the nod by a reliable third party, like the mods and administrators here.

Is there no good custom ROM I can use on ZVD?

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Process for any phone goes: root (to gain administrative access to system folders and be able to edit/remove them), for some phones ie HTC, there is an SOFF process that must be completed prior to getting root IIRC which I wont go into here, just know that you want to accomplish root, at whatever cost, lol!. Custom recovery (to use features other than the stock recovery features. Also allows capability to flash user-defined zips ie, roms and other special features), boot into custom recovery and wipe (to clear out any partitions of old data so it doesn't interfere with the rom that's getting flashed), flash rom (this is your new software/operating system that you will download aka HydroRom), boot (be sure to allow the phone 5-10 minutes to fully load all files and build all partitions before playing around with it. This is a common recommendation in the community; however, I have never really been that patient :D) optional steps after this would include: flashing modems, kernels, tweaks, etc... (which you will need none of if you choose to run HydroRom, and I don't believe we can flash modems on this phone, but that will pertain to other phones so it may be useful for you to know that at some time in the future ;))

Of course, if you are on ZVD, you will need to update to ZVH first. And there are really good guides on here with information on how to do that. Enjoy! Happy rom'ing. :)

Reactions: Dark Penguin

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
At what point do I need to create a custom recovery?
Before attempting anything that requires root permissions. Nandroid backups are invaluable, especially if you start thinking you know something. Trust me on this.

Custom ROMs are really where the magic is. If you don't feel like moving to ZVH, give Reborn or sROM a shot, then maybe thekraven's CM7. I'm still running strong on Reborn and would put it on a friends device today if they handed it to me.

Reactions: Dark Penguin

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Before attempting anything that requires root permissions. Nandroid backups are invaluable, especially if you start thinking you know something. Trust me on this.
I see that Nandroid gets mentioned here quite a bit, but is it special in a way that other backup tools, e.g. Titanium, aren't? Naturally I get the importance of backing up, but is there some reason I should use Nandroid in particular?

Custom ROMs are really where the magic is. If you don't feel like moving to ZVH, give Reborn or sROM a shot, then maybe thekraven's CM7. I'm still running strong on Reborn and would put it on a friends device today if they handed it to me.

Eventually I do want to move back to ZVH, when it seems more stable. There are a number of key improvements that I liked about that OS, for example the fact that it can render .midi files to sound like the actual instrument it was played on or sampled from, rather than cheesy little single pitch tones. Also I liked the improvements in the soft keyboard.

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
I see that Nandroid gets mentioned here quite a bit, but is it special in a way that other backup tools, e.g. Titanium, aren't? Naturally I get the importance of backing up, but is there some reason I should use Nandroid in particular?

Eventually I do want to move back to ZVH, when it seems more stable. There are a number of key improvements that I liked about that OS, for example the fact that it can render .midi files to sound like the actual instrument it was played on or sampled from, rather than cheesy little single pitch tones. Also I liked the improvements in the soft keyboard.

Nandroid backs up the whole system. It's like backing up your hard drive on your computer, bit by bit. It's an exact copy of everything. Whereas, Titanium or the others will only backup certain data...

ZVH is stable if you are using a proper ROM/kernel. This is why I say you will be using HydroRom. ;) Along with Drew's kernel, it has become very stable and EXTREMELY smooth!!! :cool:

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
In a word: Yes. TB allows you to back up apps and data, which is a great thing to have. I always backup stock apps to my SD card manually when I remove them, just in case the result has more implications than expected.

But what if you hose something up that doesn't allow you to start Android properly? What if you bork your framework while trying to install or tweak a theme? What if--and it has happened--Android cannot find some of your applications, such as TB? A custom recovery allows you a restore point in case something doesn't work out.

It also allows you to manipulate your Android without having it mounted, so it is the easiest way to install mods to your system. I'm surprised if you are still putting up with the noisy Sprint boot animation that comes on stock, for starters. What if you want to try a new kernel? What if you want to install a custom ROM (and you owe it to yourself to see what that's about now)?

Even if you stay on your rooted stock forever, you should still do a backup. What pushed me over the edge to root-recovery-ROM was when the GF's kid sister was playing with my phone and it somehow ended up doing a factory reset. Everything was gone.

Interesting. I am a music buff, but I did not know it could do that with the update. I use Hacker's Keyboard on my Froyo, which I have set to use the standard GB or ICS KB in portrait mode. I agree, it is much better than the Froyo stock one.

Last edited:

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm convinced of the advantages of Nandroid, but how do I get it? It doesn't come up when I search Android Market, a circumstance which generally leads me to think the app in question isn't meant to run on my device.

Following dishe's Idiot's Guide (and included links)--which I ruefully observe is apparently insufficiently idiotic for Yours Truly, lol---I gather that I'm supposed to proceed as follows:

(1) Root my phone. Check, done.

(2) Back up my data. Check, done (Titanium backup)

(3) At this point, I need to get Nandroid, and back up the system, right?

(4) Next step would be to download recoveryflash.zip and unpack it to the root of my SD card? I've actually done this, but I'm confused by the next instruction (and also I am holding off until I somehow get Nandroid on my device)

(5) Place recovery.img into the recoveryflash folder that was created when I unzipped recoveryflash.zip. I think I was misinterpreting this because I thought there was a file named "recovery.img" that I'm supposed to get. Actually, though, doesn't it mean whatever .img file I do use, e.g. Xionia CWMA v1.2518.6.img*. (IF this surmise is correct it means I don't have to figure out how to open or burn an .img file.)

(6) Then reboot into recovery mode, and the magic will happen?

I already have what I need to run the ADB shell on my PC.

*ETA: or if following dishe's thread to the letter, I'd be using recovery-RA-GNM-thunderc-s-1.1.0.img.

Last edited:

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm convinced of the advantages of Nandroid, but how do I get it? It doesn't come up when I search Android Market, a circumstance which generally leads me to think the app in question isn't meant to run on my device.

Following dishe's Idiot's Guide (and included links)--which I ruefully observe is apparently insufficiently idiotic for Yours Truly, lol---I gather that I'm supposed to proceed as follows:

(1) Root my phone. Check, done.

(2) Back up my data. Check, done (Titanium backup)

(3) At this point, I need to get Nandroid, and back up the system, right?

(4) Next step would be to download recoveryflash.zip and unpack it to the root of my SD card? I've actually done this, but I'm confused by the next instruction (and also I am holding off until I somehow get Nandroid on my device)

(5) Place recovery.img into the recoveryflash folder that was created when I unzipped recoveryflash.zip. I think I was misinterpreting this because I thought there was a file named "recovery.img" that I'm supposed to get. Actually, though, doesn't it mean whatever .img file I do use, e.g. Xionia CWMA v1.2518.6.img. (IF this surmise is correct it means I don't have to figure out how to open or burn an .img file.)

(6) Then reboot into recovery mode, and the magic will happen?

Get custom recovery installed. Boot into recovery. Then you will see the options for "backup" and "restore". Backup will create a nandroid and restore will restore the nandroid of your choice (if you have multiple backups)

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Get custom recovery installed. Boot into recovery. Then you will see the options for "backup" and "restore". Backup will create a nandroid and restore will restore the nandroid of your choice (if you have multiple backups)

OK, now I think I got it.

What about what I say above in Step (5)--is that correct? (Except rather than Xionia I'd be using the image that was mentioned in dishe's thread, recovery-RA-GNM-thunderc-s-1.1.0.img.

liamstanley

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
I agree with epidenimus, there are threads here that will automate the process for you. What they mean by backup/recovery is like on a computer when it boots up ress f2 or f12. It is the only thing. That can really save you phone if it messes up. If you want to see your current recovery shutdown your phone, and hold then power button, the menu button and the volume down button simultaniously to see the text incoded command center. When you get a custom recovery this is where you can do a full nandroid backup (all system files like the rom, and apps combined) restore (if you need to fix a issue you or something else caused if you can't boot up which you should periodicly do btdubs. :D) a factory reset (that wont brick your phone like the stock does) erase cache, and other stuff if you want to learn alittle programming. Xionias is the most stable, so id recommend it. Once you handle that, if you want a new gingerbread type rom that's stable then id go with your momsrom but you have to update to ZVH, which isn't a big deal sense your replacing the rom, basically when you update to zvh, you replace the radio. but if you want a fully customizable rom go with thekravens cm7.2 port which I love, which is ZVD, so no need to update. Untill hydrorom gets better than thekraven cm7 I'm staying with ZVD. If your not computer savy/techy then don't venture to far on the motherboard, if the right steps aren't taken, anything could go wrong. But sense we have a handfull of awesome developers its hard to go wrong when you follow there directions.

Last edited:

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
LOST ROOT! And all my apps, wallpaper, etc., etc., etc.

I already had root.

I flashed Xionia CWMA v1.2518.6 as instructed in this thread. I also have flash_image (no extension) on my SD root.

Then I rebooted into recovery mode and did the nandroid backup. I should mention that the recovery screen did display the XIONIA legend at the top, and the same menus you can see in the post I linked. But I couldn't see how to boot to that ROM. For one thing, it seems that the function expects to find a *.zip file--not a RAR, and not an .img. Other instructions for downloading and installing ROMS tell you to put the .img file on the root of your sdcard. Others say to NOT unzip, and to put the RAR or the .ZIP on your sdcard. Whatever I did seemed to be wrong, and when I tried restoring from my nandroid backup, I didn't get root back, or my apps.

Obviously I'm still missing something.

There's still the update.zip archive on my SD card, from when I reverted from Gingerbread to Froyo. When I re-root, how do I use the custom ROM? Do I choose update.zip from the recovery menu and then it will automatically use whatever image I have in the SD card root--or whatever's in the /recoveryflash folder...or what? I'm hopelessly confused.

Notwithstanding what I've just said, I still get the Xionia CWMA V1.2518.6 in the boot/recovery menus.

aaronrw

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
I already had root.

I flashed Xionia CWMA v1.2518.6 as instructed in this thread. I also have flash_image (no extension) on my SD root.

Then I rebooted into recovery mode and did the nandroid backup. I should mention that the recovery screen did display the XIONIA legend at the top, and the same menus you can see in the post I linked. But I couldn't see how to boot to that ROM. For one thing, it seems that the function expects to find a *.zip file--not a RAR, and not an .img. Other instructions for downloading and installing ROMS tell you to put the .img file on the root of your sdcard. Others say to NOT unzip, and to put the RAR or the .ZIP on your sdcard. Whatever I did seemed to be wrong, and when I tried restoring from my nandroid backup, I didn't get root back, or my apps.

Obviously I'm still missing something.

There's still the update.zip archive on my SD card, from when I reverted from Gingerbread to Froyo. When I re-root, how do I use the custom ROM? Do I choose update.zip from the recovery menu and then it will automatically use whatever image I have in the SD card root--or whatever's in the /recoveryflash folder...or what? I'm hopelessly confused.

Notwithstanding what I've just said, I still get the Xionia CWMA V1.2518.6 in the boot/recovery menus.

Uh I think you need to know how to install the Rom itself ? If so you need the Rom on the root of your sdcard. Don't rename . Then from recovery choose to install zip from sdcard. Choose your Rom and install. Reboot and enjoy.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
And you mean the Xionia .img file *itself* needs to be in the SD card root folder--i.e. not zip or rar of it, right?

aaronrw

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
And you mean the Xionia .img file *itself* needs to be in the SD card root folder--i.e. not zip or rar of it, right?

No the Rom zip file should be on the root of sdcard. Note what It's called so you'll recognize it while in recovery.:D

Reactions: basketthis

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I think you may be missing the point here: You don't boot the custom ROM from the SD card -- you flash install it, so that it overwrites your stock ROM on the internal memory, then reboot the device. The recovery is not a boot loader.

If you flashed an update.zip file after your attempts to boot from your SD card, that would explain why you are back at a stock ZVD or ZVH. You rewrote your rooted ROM with an unrooted stock. Doh!

You will need to re-root using Gingerbreak (just run the exploit again and install the su and busybox files via ADB or terminal--or install the APK from XDA), then proceed with installing the custom ZVD ROM.

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
ZVH is stable if you are using a proper ROM/kernel. This is why I say you will be using HydroRom. ;) Along with Drew's kernel, it has become very stable and EXTREMELY smooth!!! :cool:

I got my root back, though I still don't have it booted to a custom ROM.

Regarding ZVH and HydroROM, do you know if this configuration of Gingerbread still has the problem with phone call sounds not working through headsets? If it avoids that issue successfully I might be on board with that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38