[HACK] PRL swapping.

Nick7

Brick Master
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Warning
Things can go very wrong using QPST. Use at your own risk. I am not responsible for any phone turned paper weight.

Also, this does counts as roaming. Consider the following:
Off-network Roaming: The primary use of your Device must be for domestic purposes within the Sprint-owned network. Domestic means use in the 50 United States and U.S. Territories (except Guam). Sprint reserves the right, without notice, to deny, terminate, modify, disconnect or suspend service if off-network usage in a month exceeds: (1) voice: 800 min. or a majority of minutes; or (2) data: 300 megabytes or a majority of kilobytes.

However I tolled 4GB of roaming last month and didn't get slapped by Sprint. But once again,
USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

About
This PRL hack will connect your phone to roaming towers (such as VZW). This can be useful if you get terribad Sprint coverage at home. Unlike the force roaming method, this will recognize roaming towers as Sprint towers. Even the ISP shows up as Sprint PCS.

*There is an issue with the data connection dropping. I'm working on that. Data will come back and it will drop less as you use it.*

Required Tools:
-QPST v2.7.323
-Drivers for Optimus S.
-Your MSL.
-PRL 40060

Instructions:
  1. Call Sprint and sweet talk them into telling you your MSL.
  2. Install QPST v2.7.323
  3. Plug your phone in with USB debugging enabled.
  4. Open device manager and find out what port your phone is on.
  5. Open QPST configuration.
  6. In the QPST configuration, select "Add New Port..." on the bottom right
  7. Enter the port you found in device manager.
  8. Click drop down menu "Start Clients." Chose "SERVICE PROGRAMMING." Select your phone.
  9. Download the 40060 PRL I posted. Put it somewhere you can find.
  10. In QPST, choose the "Roaming" tab.
  11. In the "Preferred Roaming Enable" box choose "Browse..."
  12. Browse to the 40060 PRL.
  13. Click "Write to Phone." Enter your MSL. Your phone will restart.
  14. To confirm that the hack worked, dial *2. You should get VZW or some other carrier.

To Revert:
Go to Menu -> Settings -> About Phone -> Update PRL.

Credit:
PRL from:
The Answerman's License To Rant

Last edited:

psg190

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Beautiful work. As soon as the data issues are sorted out, I will flash away. Any ideas how this will affect data speeds (1x vs. evdo) and Airave usage?

Nick7

Brick Master
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, I'm not sure about airave. Considering that it registers as Sprint ISP it just might be compatible. And speeds are faster IMHO due to Verizon's fancy network.

Reverting is super easy so why don't you test this out.

imex99

May 16, 2010
Visit site
To do this, do we also need the android sdk?

I downloaded everything and when I tried the com in and hit ok, it would give an error.....
When I get home tonight, I will reply and give exact error if someone can help with a reply!

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

Nick7

Brick Master
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
To do this, do we also need the android sdk?

I downloaded everything and when I tried the com in and hit ok, it would give an error.....
When I get home tonight, I will reply and give exact error if someone can help with a reply!

That's because you need the proper drivers. You can find them here.

imex99

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I thought I downloaded correct drivers but maybe I'm wrong...
I'll try again tonight.

postman25

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the same problem. I've installed the drivers twice. When I put COM25 in the error says "the port may not be working properly or may busy (-2147467259)"

devilspy

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Two questions.
What is an MSL? I did get some code from sprint rep when reassigning this phone to my number wrote it down(bought phone off ebay that was activated). Was in the menu that allowed me to edit my phone #. Is this the same?

Also besides having greater coverage and no roaming, is the verizon 3g network any faster?

Nick7

Brick Master
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Two questions.
What is an MSL? I did get some code from sprint rep when reassigning this phone to my number wrote it down(bought phone off ebay that was activated). Was in the menu that allowed me to edit my phone #. Is this the same?

Also besides having greater coverage and no roaming, is the verizon 3g network any faster?

MSL is a six digit number. The speed is about the same as Sprint.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89