[?] What settings should i use in setCPU?

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
i finally rooted my phone and installed setCPU anyone know the best settings for the lg optimus s? im lost completely

After rooting, did you install a custom recovery and a kernel that is overclockable? If so, then it's best to experiment with the best max/min combination that works for you. A max of 748 and a min of 245 with interactive governor seems to be pretty stable for most people, but you can certainly try to get it higher than that.

If you haven't installed a custom recovery and a overclockable kernel, you'll need to do those two things first. Check out these two threads for info:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-...ustom-recovery-optimus-s-thunderc-sprint.html

http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-...6789-oc-kernel-xionia-kernel-2-6-32-26-a.html

omarnova

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
After rooting, did you install a custom recovery and a kernel that is overclockable? If so, then it's best to experiment with the best max/min combination that works for you. A max of 748 and a min of 245 with interactive governor seems to be pretty stable for most people, but you can certainly try to get it higher than that.

If you haven't installed a custom recovery and a overclockable kernel, you'll need to do those two things first. Check out these two threads for info:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-...ustom-recovery-optimus-s-thunderc-sprint.html

http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-...6789-oc-kernel-xionia-kernel-2-6-32-26-a.html

hey thanks for the response no i havent installed a custom recovery or kernel...i guess these are my next steps! thanks for the info...im on it!

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
im having problems installing the Xionia Kernel am i suppose to install a custom recovery 1st?

Yes you must have full root then install one of the custom recovery's then you can flash rom,themes,kernel.Follow the sticky guides to get root,recovery then you can flash his kernel.

Reactions: omarnova

minnis12

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Different phones have different sweetspots. Mine personally is max 806 and min 480 and I have it set to interactive. Just play around but don't check the "set on boot" option until you are comfortable with the performance. If you have the setting too high it might crash but its not a bad thing. So just find a good stable point.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

omarnova

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
i am now getting "terminal emulator permission denied" for [Custom Recovery] when i try and put ru....im completely lost lol this is a pain in the A$$ there must be an easier way

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
i am now getting "terminal emulator permission denied" for [Custom Recovery] when i try and put ru....im completely lost lol this is a pain in the A$$ there must be an easier way

Can you post more detail of what your trying to do? Are you trying to type su?

omarnova

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
ok ive Rooted - check. Recovery - check. Good NAND backup - check. and i am now Ready to ROM...Question when i wipe my phone to install new rom will it erases all the steps i took to get a custom rom? lol

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
ok ive Rooted - check. Recovery - check. Good NAND backup - check. and i am now Ready to ROM...Question when i wipe my phone to install new rom will it erases all the steps i took to get a custom rom? lol

nope you will still have root and custom recovery.

Reactions: omarnova

cmags

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Back to the original topic, I'm curious what folks use for set CPU settings. What's the difference between on demand and interactive? I've got mine set to 245-787 on demand. Tried 122 and my phone didn't like event driven actions like SMS and calls. Also what do folks use for profiles? I tried a screen off profile at 245-320 but turned it off after it didn't ramp up from 320 when receiving a call (causing me to miss it). I'd like to find an optimal balance between battery and performance.

crashbowman

Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
Back to the original topic, I'm curious what folks use for set CPU settings. What's the difference between on demand and interactive? I've got mine set to 245-787 on demand. Tried 122 and my phone didn't like event driven actions like SMS and calls. Also what do folks use for profiles? I tried a screen off profile at 245-320 but turned it off after it didn't ramp up from 320 when receiving a call (causing me to miss it). I'd like to find an optimal balance between battery and performance.

I am interested in this as well. Basically interested in what things like interactive, performance, and on demand do and what things lead to better performance versus better battery life. Funny thing is I am running a max at 600 today for the first time and I am having my worst battery life yet. I normally run a max in the 700-864 range. The only time I have had this phone reboot was when I tried 864 with performance. I can run 864 on demand or interactive all day without a problem.

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
The lesson of the day.lol just kidding ill do my best.
- The ondemand governor is the default option used by android. It scales the CPU speed between the minimum and maximum speeds depending on CPU load. If the system needs more speed, the kernel will rapidly scale up the CPU speed.

-The conservative sets the CPU speed in a similar way to the ondemand governor, but scales the CPU up much less rapidly. This would theoretically save battery power, but may lead to less responsiveness.
-performance = whenever cpu is awake and active, it will be ramped up
# to the highest possible speed (600 Mhz in our case) This will give a great
# performance boost, but at the cost of battery life
-interactive
This governor is designed for latency sensitive workloads, UI interaction for
example.

Advantages:
+ significantly more responsive to ramp cpu up when required (UI interaction)
+ more consistent ramping, existing governors do their cpu load sampling in a
workqueue context, the 'interactive' governor does this in a timer context, which
gives more consistent cpu load sampling.
+ higher priority for cpu frequency increase, rt_workqueue is used for scaling
up, giving the remaining tasks the cpu performance benefit, unlike existing
governors which schedule rampup work to occur after your performance starved
tasks have completed.

Existing governors sample cpu load at a particular rate, typically
every X ms. Which can lead to under powering UI threads when the user has
interacted with an idle system until the next sample period happns.

The 'interactive' governor has a different approach. Instead of sampling the cpu
at a specified rate, the governor will scale the cpu frequency up when coming
out of idle. When the cpu comes out of idle, a timer is configured to fire
within 1-2 ticks. If the cpu is 100% busy from exiting idle to when the timer
fires then we assume the cpu is underpowered and ramp to MAX speed.

If the cpu was not 100% busy, then the governor evaluates the cpu load over the
last 'min_sample_rate' (default 50000 uS) to determine the cpu speed to ramp down
to.

There is only one tuneable for this governor:
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/interactive/min_sample_rate:
The minimum ammount of time to spend at the current frequency before
ramping down. This is to ensure that the governor has seen enough
historic cpu load data to determine the appropriate workload.
Default is 5000 uS.

Signed-off-by: Mike Chan <mike@

I run interactive 600max/245min somtimes 122min.With a screen off profile set to 320max/245min.

Thanks to all those people that wrote all this as i just copy&pasted.lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez