Question Downloading .APK files

Jhatn

May 30, 2023
Visit site
I lost my phone last month & don't have a new one yet.
I have been researching for a new phone lately & my head hurts 🤪!

I've been downloading some apps in the .apk format for when I do get a new phone, but I'm having trouble finding 2 apps I want.
So my question is this:
Does anyone know where I can download these apps -
Best Buy
My Frontier

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Downloading apk files is a security risk, unless you're absolutely sure about where they come from (APKMirror.com is probably the only one I'd trust, since it's run by the folks at Android Police).

Be aware that we don't allow discussion about modded/hacked apks, or installing apks for the purposes of trying to avoid paying for an app.

SyCoREAPER

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Downloading apk files is a security risk, unless you're absolutely sure about where they come from (APKMirror.com is probably the only one I'd trust, since it's run by the folks at Android Police).

Be aware that we don't allow discussion about modded/hacked apks, or installing apks for the purposes of trying to avoid paying for an app.
You used a bad word. But apkmirror and f-droid are trustworthy.
I definitely would not recommend using APK for any shopping apps like Best Buy. You certainly don't want to suddenly discover someone else got your account credentials and bought everything in the store.
Agreed but that risk is somewhat lessened if you install from an official source first. That way if the signatures don't match it won't install.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Agreed but that risk is somewhat lessened if you install from an official source first. That way if the signatures don't match it won't install.
Bad word -- you mean Android Police? 😁

I don't have any experience with F-Droid. Do you know how they vet apk files to make sure they're clean?

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site

I don't know. I've never taken chances with shopping or banking apps, especially since Play Store has the official apps anyway. I use the official Best Buy app.

SyCoREAPER

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Bad word -- you mean Android Police? 😁

I don't have any experience with F-Droid. Do you know how they vet apk files to make sure they're clean?
Ohhh you said it again... @mustang7757 I think we need a temp mod ban 😆

F-Droid is open-source only and to my understanding has a review system that then builds the app from source and signs with a unique F-Droid Key so the dev can't even sabotage it (theoretically).

I don't know. I've never taken chances with shopping or banking apps, especially since Play Store has the official apps anyway. I use the official Best Buy app.
Oh definitely still wouldn't do it, your advice is sound. Just saying if one had to (say compatibility reasons), you'd be a little safer with an official build installed first. But as you said, best practice is not to get those from 3rd parties period.

Jhatn

May 30, 2023
Visit site
As I mentioned, I don't have a phone, so not using the Play Store.

The 2 apps I want to get, are NOT paid apps.
I double check before & after I download an apk.
I NEVER use any banking apps on any device I use.

I've tried APKPure, APKMirror & F-Droid (even checked a few others); but cannot find the apps.
All I find for Best Buy, is a Canada Online Shop; not the American Store.
Searching My Frontier (or even Frontier) just finds games w/the name Frontier in them & Frontier Airlines.

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
So you've lost your phone and you're researching what phone to replace it with.

What I don't understand - as would anyone else most likely - is why you would want to download APK's in advance when you can simply download the apps from the Store when you get your new phone.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Ohhh you said it again... @mustang7757 I think we need a temp mod ban

F-Droid is open-source only and to my understanding has a review system that then builds the app from source and signs with a unique F-Droid Key so the dev can't even sabotage it (theoretically).

Oh definitely still wouldn't do it, your advice is sound. Just saying if one had to (say compatibility reasons), you'd be a little safer with an official build installed first. But as you said, best practice is not to get those from 3rd parties period.
Well I think we all going get banned , F-droid :) haven't use that in loooong time , APK mirror I do use alot through the years. Surprised it had a Canadian version only.

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

I've tried APKPure, APKMirror & F-Droid (even checked a few others); but cannot find the apps.
Searching My Frontier (or even Frontier) just finds games w/the name Frontier in them & Frontier Airlines.
So my understanding is you don't have a phone currently not even a backup?

Try using the online accounts for Best buy/Frontier through your computer web browser

Reactions: Laura Knotek

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site

I agree with the others. What's the point of getting the APKs ahead of time if you don't have the device to load them on.

And once you do have the device, just log into the Play Store and download what you need then. In fact, assuming you'd use the same account, the Play Store will have your app history and it can re-download any and all apps you've had before.

That's how that is supposed to work.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Jhatn

May 30, 2023
Visit site
No, I don't have a phone currently & while I have been researching once in a while, it makes my head hurt 🤪.
I'm pretty sure I'm staying in the Android eco-system (for monetary reasons), so trying to dial down my options right now.

I'm leaning towards the Samsung Galaxy A54. But I'm still looking around & the OnePlus phones look nice.
Unfortunately, there are not many stores anymore that let people try out the phones.
And I have to make sure the phone works on Consumer Cellular's network, which most all phones should.

I've tried going to the Best Buy & Frontier sites, but they just direct me to the Play Store & I don't want to go through the Play Store.

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
No, I don't have a phone currently & while I have been researching once in a while, it makes my head hurt .
I'm pretty sure I'm staying in the Android eco-system (for monetary reasons), so trying to dial down my options right now.

I've tried going to the Best Buy & Frontier sites, but they just direct me to the Play Store & I don't want to go through the Play Store.
You should definitely be able to view those sites from computer

Screenshot_20240320_095318_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20240320_095250_Chrome.jpg

Jhatn

May 30, 2023
Visit site
Yes, I can view the sites, but clicking the app's link just sends me to the Play Store.
And then wants to install the app on the lost phone, even though it was already installed on that phone.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I think the point that @mustang7757 is trying to make is that you can do whatever you need within the website itself using the browser. Even a mobile browser. Sign into your account, buy stuff, whatever. No need for the app at all, really.

Just out of curiosity, is there a reason you don't want to just use Google Play on your new phone, whenever you get it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana