From rooted V9 to VC ?

lionedas

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys

I'm a little lost with all the threads about VC update, OTA, lost root, lost recovery, and so on.

My phone came new with V9 installed,
back when I first got it I rooted with Z4root,
flashed the custom recovery, and then started
installing some of the roms from here like TR 1.5, 1.6.2,
and Nrom.

When the new VC update was released I flashed V8 back to my phone
via the unroot your phone and return to stock post,
I flashed V9 update which made me loose my custom recovery cause it installed LG recovery,
used LG update to update the phone to VC
rooted the phone again, and flashed custom recovery again.

All took about 1 hour or so.

Is something wrong here, I see posts of people bricking their phones with this update,
or nag screens that wont go away, I don't have any issues with the VC
update, as a matter of fact my battery life is great now.

can someone clear up what is messing people up about this update!!

Thanks

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Well that's good that everything worked out for you. Here's the thing tho are you going to unroot and then reroot every update? Sooner or later they could lock down root for good. So everyone has been trying to go about not having to unroot. There's a million other things that play into this that im not going to even try to explain.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Nag screens that won't go away is a complaint of someone who doesn't want the VC update for whatever reason.

I don't know if people are bricking their phones with the update (well any more than would be normal for any update), but people who apply the OTA update (as opposed to LG Mobile tool update) can no longer root their phones.

lionedas

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Well that's good that everything worked out for you. Here's the thing tho are you going to unroot and then reroot every update? Sooner or later they could lock down root for good. So everyone has been trying to go about not having to unroot. There's a million other things that play into this that im not going to even try to explain.

OK I understand not wanting to loose root.

But after reading some of the posts it seemed to me like some guys weren't able to revert back to V8 and update to VC.

I'm not looking for information as to what all is involved
I just couldn't understand, and was thinking, man did I come close to bricking my phone, or was I just lucky, or what.

yep I'm just a noob with this stuff.

I fly RC Helli's, and we get noobs that come out to the flying field see us fly and run out to get a heli..... yikes!

I know theres a ton involved, I guess what I should have asked above was
did I just get lucky

Thanks

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
No i think you just followed the instructions properly. Not saying the other's didn't just there's so many things that can be behind them not being able to down grade. Maybe they made a mistake or a simple error and didn't notice it. It happens i've made simpple errors,i forgot to run the command to remove install-recovery.sh the first time i flashed the recovery and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't stick.lol

Reactions: lionedas

cc0n01

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I think part of the problem is due to the number of software variations people have on their phones, the two methods used to apply the VC update and where people want to end up with regard to the VC update.

In my case, I have 3 Optimus phones in my family.

My phone is using ThundeRom 1.6.2 and I want to continue to use ThundeRom without the onerous VC update notification. I applied Breezy's patch to disable the notification. So for my phone I'm in a good position to wait until an upgrade path for ThundeRom with VC is released.

My wife and son's phones are on stock V9-rooted with z4root. I intend to apply the VC upgrade using the LG Update Tool on these phones so that I can root them again.

I think we should try to list the upgrade variations based upon where we are starting from and what we want to achieve.

For people with a custom recovery
- Don't apply the VC upgrade if you are happy with your custom rom.
- Revert back to stock and use the LG Upgrade tool to apply the VC upgrade and then re-root and install custom recovery. This will allow use of custom roms with VC.

For people without a custom recovery.
- Apply the VC update using the OTA method if you are not interested in root access or custom roms.
- Apply the VC update using the LG Update tool if you are interested in root access and custom roms.

Reactions: lionedas

lionedas

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Jeez cc0n01

Same here

3 Optimus S phones in my house, mine is rooted,
Wife and Son's phone I left stock.

Son's name isnt Nick is it, cuz then id crp my self..

cedbled

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I think part of the problem is due to the number of software variations people have on their phones, the two methods used to apply the VC update and where people want to end up with regard to the VC update.

In my case, I have 3 Optimus phones in my family.

My phone is using ThundeRom 1.6.2 and I want to continue to use ThundeRom without the onerous VC update notification. I applied Breezy's patch to disable the notification. So for my phone I'm in a good position to wait until an upgrade path for ThundeRom with VC is released.

My wife and son's phones are on stock V9-rooted with z4root. I intend to apply the VC upgrade using the LG Update Tool on these phones so that I can root them again.

I think we should try to list the upgrade variations based upon where we are starting from and what we want to achieve.

For people with a custom recovery
- Don't apply the VC upgrade if you are happy with your custom rom.
- Revert back to stock and use the LG Upgrade tool to apply the VC upgrade and then re-root and install custom recovery. This will allow use of custom roms with VC.

For people without a custom recovery.
- Apply the VC update using the OTA method if you are not interested in root access or custom roms.
- Apply the VC update using the LG Update tool if you are interested in root access and custom roms.

Please don't blast me, but I need the clear, step by step instructions on doing exactly this......I checked the other thread, but it seems to involve using the Android SDK, etc.....

Im lost, please show me the way

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Please don't blast me, but I need the clear, step by step instructions on doing exactly this......I checked the other thread, but it seems to involve using the Android SDK, etc.....

Im lost, please show me the way

This is off topic ask inn that thread if you have questions.
Android SDK has to be installed on your pc to be able to make a connection between phone and pc.Plus to be able to do adb commands.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699