[How-To] Simplified UNROOT and return to STOCK

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
You need to use LG Updater through KP500 to (force) flash to whichever version you want.

Don't use ROM manager, it isn't compatible with this phone.

clarkpd24

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Simplified UNROOT and return to STOCK procedure for users already rooted
(these instructions are written at a summary level so you need to know some basic terminology/techniques):

1) Manually flash the stock V9 recovery (Reference Section below). Skip if you already have stock recovery.
2) Force Flash V9 (or V8, VC, VD in KP500 reference section, use VD if you have new LCD) - see KP500 thread - skip step (u), ie step (3) in the summary
3) Power down phone and boot into recovery (Home + Vol- + Power)
4) Choose "wipe data/factory reset" if you want everything factory fresh or "wipe cache" if you want to keep your data and run stock

NOTE: If you want to scrub even your Sprint data login information and phone # from NVRAM, for example if you were to transfer/sell the phone to someone else, perform a ##786# reset from the dialer in Android (you'll need your MSL/SPC/Service Code - ask Sprint or use CDMA WS)

Reference:

Manually flashing stock V9 Recovery image (requires root)
UNZIP flash_image and stock V9 recovery.img to /sdcard
Exactly what I needed. Thanks a bunch. :)

zechaya1

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Simplified UNROOT and return to STOCK procedure for users already rooted
(these instructions are written at a summary level so you need to know some basic terminology/techniques):

1) Manually flash the stock V9 recovery (Reference Section below). Skip if you already have stock recovery.
2) Force Flash V9 (or V8, VC, VD in KP500 reference section, use VD if you have new LCD) - see KP500 thread - skip step (u), ie step (3) in the summary
3) Power down phone and boot into recovery (Home + Vol- + Power)
4) Choose "wipe data/factory reset" if you want everything factory fresh or "wipe cache" if you want to keep your data and run stock

NOTE: If you want to scrub even your Sprint data login information and phone # from NVRAM, for example if you were to transfer/sell the phone to someone else, perform a ##786# reset from the dialer in Android (you'll need your MSL/SPC/Service Code - ask Sprint or use CDMA WS)

Reference:

Manually flashing stock V9 Recovery image (requires root)
UNZIP flash_image and stock V9 recovery.img to /sdcard
Thanks alot for the quick unroot process, it saved me alot of headaches

RSRcholo

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if anyone else has looked into this but I used gingersnap to complete the unroot and after running it 3/4 times it unrooted my phone

Prodeje79

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
OK I must be missing something. I want to go back to stock to take to sprint store.
Using drew's latest stable CM7 build with Xionia CWMA recovery kernel.

I am having trouble with the Manually flashing stock V9 Recovery image step.
I start the shell and it starts me with a #.
I type su line 1 OK
second line paste it in fine.
3rd line cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image
get /sdcard/flash_image NO such file or directory
I have those 2 files on root of my sd card and in a folder sdcard to be safe....

what is the obvious I am missing???
second command it says

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
OK I must be missing something. I want to go back to stock to take to sprint store.
Using drew's latest stable CM7 build with Xionia CWMA recovery kernel.

I am having trouble with the Manually flashing stock V9 Recovery image step.
I start the shell and it starts me with a #.
I type su line 1 OK
second line paste it in fine.
3rd line cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image
get /sdcard/flash_image NO such file or directory
I have those 2 files on root of my sd card and in a folder sdcard to be safe....

what is the obvious I am missing???
second command it says
Either one of the earlier commands didn't work or the /sdcard/flash_image file doesn't exist.

Did you remember to *unzip* flash_image.zip when you placed it on your sdcard?

Did any of the earlier commands produce errors?

Did you remember not to cut/paste the $ and # (first character in each line). Those are prompts you should be seeing in your terminal and not meant to be copy/pasted.

BTW I updated the instructions to use VD recovery since it is both rootable and works with all LCDs (when the instructions were first written VD wasn't rootable)

Last edited:
Reactions: Prodeje79

Prodeje79

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
Either one of the earlier commands didn't work or the /sdcard/flash_image file doesn't exist.

Did you remember to *unzip* flash_image.zip when you placed it on your sdcard?

Did any of the earlier commands produce errors?

Did you remember not to cut/paste the $ and # (first character in each line). Those are prompts you should be seeing in your terminal and not meant to be copy/pasted.

BTW I updated the instructions to use VD recovery since it is both rootable and works with all LCDs (when the instructions were first written VD wasn't rootable)

great! I will try again when I get home.
so unzip leaving a folder flash_image right?
I am not including the $ or # :)

Maybe I can just leave my xionia recovery alone and just flash to the stock software so I can run those ## commands????
then once up to date and phone working, I can go back to drews CM7???

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
great! I will try again when I get home.
so unzip leaving a folder flash_image right?
I am not including the $ or # :)

Maybe I can just leave my xionia recovery alone and just flash to the stock software so I can run those ## commands????
then once up to date and phone working, I can go back to drews CM7???
BTW the result of unzipping flash_image is a *file* called flash_image, not a folder.

You don't need to revert your recovery to stock if your intention is just to go back to CM7. Just skip that step, leave Xionia recovery in place. It works fine.

Reactions: Prodeje79

keezie244

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
rooting my phone was super easy but now im super lost. i just want to unroot my phone so i can install the system update sprint sent out. do i have to unroot for that?

keezie244

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
im not a wiz at this type stuff so thanks but im still lost. i need a for dummies version lol im scared i will ruin my phone if i attempt that

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch