Share your experience with the radio versions (v9,vc,vd...etc)

og_president

Banned
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Does the newer onces past v9 get faster speeds and better battery life? also whats the most current radio as of right now?

Swyped from my Gingerbread'ed Optimus S

Last edited:

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
VD is the most current I do believe, but I never seemed to get any better speeds or battery life... Never really noticed any difference (well before I flashed v9 and a rom...)

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Will summarize the answers, (v9, vc, vd) x (same, better, worse) :)

Unless there was something obviously wrong with a radio/baseband, most radio updates will result in some people saying better, some worse, and some no difference. That is because the conditions for your own area will affect how you perceive the radio update.

og_president

Banned
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Will summarize the answers, (v9, vc, vd) x (same, better, worse) :)

Unless there was something obviously wrong with a radio/baseband, most radio updates will result in some people saying better, some worse, and some no difference. That is because the conditions for your own area will affect how you perceive the radio update.

So you run VC?

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I run ZVD for compatibility rather than performance, which, for my usage, didn't really change going from radio to radio.

DoesItMatter

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
My name, is DoesItMattter - and I have VD...

LOL

I went straight from V9 -> VD - skipped the VC

Still rooted on VD - did the LG updater tool.

VD is a MUCH better radio for me than V9 in the areas I am in the Pacific Northwest.

It varies per your location - people have mixed results with different radios.

I DO have a different PRL as well - 40065 - works the best for me for connectivity.

psaurus81

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Other than significantly better battery life on VC/VD, I haven't really noticed much of a difference. I suppose I tended to drop data connection more often on V9.

Hoverbot

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know the timeline for the updates? I had V8 when I got my phone, but can't remember exactly when it was they updated to v9. I do know it was shortly after the release of the phone, but I seem to remember having at least a day of non-Swype operation.

I'm under the impression that VD, at least in the northern foothills of NC, gives better battery life and fewer "you are now roaming, have a nice day" moments.

og_president

Banned
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know the timeline for the updates? I had V8 when I got my phone, but can't remember exactly when it was they updated to v9. I do know it was shortly after the release of the phone, but I seem to remember having at least a day of non-Swype operation.

I'm under the impression that VD, at least in the northern foothills of NC, gives better battery life and fewer "you are now roaming, have a nice day" moments.

Whats wrong with roaming? Sprint does not charge for roaming.

Hoverbot

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site

Yeah, no charge for it, but more often than not I'm roaming at my house, and for some reason in this area:

roam = no data unless I use wifi. And wifi is an ... endangered commodity here :'(

I mean, sometimes going into airplane mode and back out fixes it, but is much better to just to have fewer occurrences.

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
A lot of people have reported better service and battery life with zvd. It depends on where you are. I am in the Nashville TN area and have noticed a little bit of improvememt fwiw.
My husband is not rooted and I am running TR 1.8.3.

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I recently moved from Baltimore to Georgia... had V9-VD in baltimore, and only issue i had was roaming was automatically 1X... not 3G for some reason... been that way until VD, but I'm not sure if VD made a difference or not... never had an issue with the battery life.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Other than the theoretical limit in the TOS of 800m, Mobile2Mobile is uses regular minutes when you are roaming where it is unlimited when you are not roaming.

Roaming is ok for calls, but depending your area, often the data drops to 1x or is unavailable.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non