Will I keep root... or will my phone even boot..

sheit

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Current Setup - V9 baseband - Rooted using Z4 permanent root - using Thunderromc 1.1 recovery.

If i run the LG updater to get my phone to the VD baseband and reboot my phone will this first of all boot up and work - and second if so will I lose root?

I am looking into using the nameless rom but know i need to get to VD first. I wasnt sure if i could get to VD and keep my system as it is until i decide if I want to go the custom rom route or not.

Thanks.

Sarcoptic

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Quick 101 is to flash the Xonia recovery...then update to VD via LG Updater. This will leave the Xonia recovery in place. From there you can flash the nameless rom and be set...

sheit

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

Thanks but these steps mention going right to the "custom rom". I guess i am wondering if i can keep my stock rom / root and go to VD baseband before jumping into the custom roms. Guess I am wondering if you can stop at step 7 and not flash a new rom.

Don't like to just go ahead with trying something and bricking my phone - would rather get some feedback first.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Thanks but these steps mention going right to the "custom rom". I guess i am wondering if i can keep my stock rom / root and go to VD baseband before jumping into the custom roms. Guess I am wondering if you can stop at step 7 and not flash a new rom.

Don't like to just go ahead with trying something and bricking my phone - would rather get some feedback first.

Thanks again.

Follow the ZVD rooting guide?

Or, if you REALLY don't want to mess with the command line wait a few minutes because I'm about to re-release the automagical Gingersnap.

picasticks

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site

Yes, you can do this. If you like stock OS you can keep it without flashing a ROM.

After you update via LG updater, you will still have your custom recovery.

However, the files (su, busybox) you installed when you rooted your phone on V9 may be gone from /system because the LG updater overwrites those directories when it reinstalls the OS.

If this is the case, an easy way to put them back would be to boot to your custom recovery. Then you can use adb to put those back onto /system, chmod them executable etc. (pick this up from the instructions in your rooting guide! do everything you would normally do after first getting to the root # prompt).

If this sounds too tricky, or you don't yet know enough to be able to figure it out if something goes wrong, I suggest you just flash an LG-based ROM like Nameless. (Make a NAND backup first from recovery so you can go back if you don't like it.)

From the other thread it sounds like you're hesitant about doing this, but you should understand that there is nothing magic about LG-based ROMs like Nameless. The userland OS is 99% the same as stock (all the stuff in /system/lib), and the binaries are pulled from the stock OS. It is basically what you are trying to do (take rooted stock, then reinstall su, busybox, add all sorts of customizations) only already done and tested by others.

Reactions: sheit

sheit

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I have NAND backup so i will give this a go. Not really hesitant to try other roms just trying to learn more and figure out how I can do certain things, myself, other than just flashing someones Rom. As i have been taking small portions of other Roms and integrating them into the " rooted Stock" Rom that i am currently using.

As for the Nameless rom I have already taken over the widget and music modification and have done the JIT changes..

So more of I am trying to learn more about configuring my own phone I guess.

picasticks

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I have NAND backup so i will give this a go. Not really hesitant to try other roms just trying to learn more and figure out how I can do certain things, myself, other than just flashing someones Rom. As i have been taking small portions of other Roms and integrating them into the " rooted Stock" Rom that i am currently using.

As for the Nameless rom I have already taken over the widget and music modification and have done the JIT changes..

So more of I am trying to learn more about configuring my own phone I guess.

That's cool, I am basically doing the same thing right now. I have compiled my own kernel from the LG source code and have forked my own ROM (I guess I can call it a ROM since I have a .zip to flash it) off the official VD/Froyo base.