bricked my optimus s after root with hard reset, please help....

tiffngrims

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Hi. I have a huge problem and I am so stressed because some of the people in these forums are awfully mean and I am already having a bad enough time, Plus I have been searching for 3 days and found no working solution. I love my phone and I fear I may just have to give up all hope, but I am just not quite ready to let go....

Seriously tho, I rooted my Optimus S and I had a hell of a time getting a recovery to work finally thunderc did the trick. then I added thundeRom, and I had it about to weeks when I came across this cool ROM called cyanogen nightly so I just had to have it. Well then my phone wouldn't flash into recovery. I tried installing many recoveries none would work.

After so many failed attempts I kept getting permission denied. I remembered that before I rooted I had the same problem and after I did a factory reset and wiped my phone clean it worked, So I did that again and I pretty sure it bricked, only I have not found any other post where the symptoms were just like mine. My phone will only blink LG nothing else.
I did back up with titanium before this and I had a nandroid backup also. Is there any hope?

Does anyone know what may have happened with my recovery before this happened? It was working fine. I have not been this long without a phone in at least 10 years. Please help I would greatly appreciate it. thanks.:'(

uberjam545

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Last edited:

tiffngrims

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Take a deep breath...................... odds are you are not fully bricked. Read this thread and give it a shot.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-optimus-s-rooting-roms-hacks/59781-un-brick-method-some-forms-brick.html

Thank you for your advise but I can't get anything to read my phone except the LG updater but it drops the connection with my phone as soon as it starts updating. I tried these things numerous times but no luck, but thank you so much for taking the time to help and if you have any other ideas I'd love to hear them.:)

tiffngrims

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
when you did a factory reset assuming you did it in settings then thats what bricked your phone and I think it's pretty easy to undo it.

If what jstntp recommened doesn't work for you, try this:
http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-optimus-s-rooting-roms-hacks/45403-how-unroot-your-phone-return-stock.html
or
http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-optimus-s-rooting-roms-hacks/52145-how-unbrick-your-phone-using-kdz.html

My main problem is KDZ and ADB and all these other programs so far will not read my phone to flash things. Unless I'm doing it wrong.... The LG updater tool will read my phone in e-mode, however it drops it at soon as I proceed further. But thank you for your help, it helps a little just knowing that I am not the only one in the world dealing with this crap.:)

-------Never mind, didn't realize that you were the same person who was annoyed by my posts, and rude to me in another forum. You can just ignore this and I hope it doesn't put a damper in your day, thanks for the help you did give. ----------------------------

Last edited:

scifan

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
That sucks... I'd try what the guys have already said... I'm assuming logcat shows you nothing, and "adb reboot recovery" doesn't get you into recovery... wasn't "emergency" mode something like volume up+home+power?

edit: and while someone might be an asshat, there are a fair number of really nice folks on this forum who are extremely knowledgeable... don't get too discouraged... (and I think if all else fails, you can get a refurb for $35 from what I've heard)

tiffngrims

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
That sucks... I'd try what the guys have already said... I'm assuming logcat shows you nothing, and "adb reboot recovery" doesn't get you into recovery... wasn't "emergency" mode something like volume up+home+power?

edit: and while someone might be an asshat, there are a fair number of really nice folks on this forum who are extremely knowledgeable... don't get too discouraged... (and I think if all else fails, you can get a refurb for $35 from what I've heard)

Thanks hun. It is actually encouraging to read posts like yours. I'm not sure what Logcat is. I couldn't get into recovery before this happened it like disappeared when I tried using ROM manager. And it won't go into recovery now. It will go into emergency mode I just can't get files to flash. and thats cool about the refurb, I'll keep it in mind, but I'm not a quitter....well not yet... :D

jondevere

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
First rule of fightclub is you don't talk about fightclub...oh wait.. I mean first rule of HackClub is don't LG Factory Reset...

Sorry for ur loss.. if jstntp can't help hit me up. Good luck and remember this never happened. :p

thekraven

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Looks like rom manager is what hosed your phone. Its recovery and cyanogen are not compatible with our phones. You need to install zefies recovery first. Hopefully you can get that installed thru adb shell.

jondevere

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks hun. It is actually encouraging to read posts like yours. I'm not sure what Logcat is. I couldn't get into recovery before this happened it like disappeared when I tried using ROM manager. And it won't go into recovery now. It will go into emergency mode I just can't get files to flash. and thats cool about the refurb, I'll keep it in mind, but I'm not a quitter....well not yet... :D
You ever get your brick fixed?

tiffngrims

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Looks like rom manager is what hosed your phone. Its recovery and cyanogen are not compatible with our phones. You need to install zefies recovery first. Hopefully you can get that installed thru adb shell.

Hi. No I can't get adb to read my phone. I can't figure out how to flash anything to my phone because it always fails due to the fact that it can't read my phone and I was going to try this LGNPST but I can't find the dll files for my model so it can't read my phone I can get into emergency mode and my cpu and stuff will read my phone that way but nothing will flash. AAAHHHH this is so frustrating!!:'(

tiffngrims

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
You ever get your brick fixed?

Nope I can't get anything to flash or anything I am beginning to lose all hope lol, well actually I am kinda serious I'd just buy a new phone like 8 weeks ago and save my self all this frickin trouble but I can't afford that right now, so I am still trying I guess. sad thing is I didn't even wanna change roms really but someone said my ROM was lame and just to make my phone better then there's and trying to keep up with all the great things they have or they can do I lost my damn phone. Any ideas?:'(

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm a complicated issue for sure. What I got from reading your first post is that you were trying to flash a recovery every time you wanted to get into recovery? You still have some hope yet. Listen to the more experienced people here. Most are very helpful and understanding of "extreme" circumstances. You should definitely follow the thread that was linked for you. One way or another you will be trying adb shell to the phone. That's the best I can offer and unfortunately with things like this it can be trial and error. There is hope for you yet. Don't be discouraged. Just realize that you have some time ahead of you to figure this out and most of all, be patient and good luck! Welcomed to the forum!

tiffngrims

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm a complicated issue for sure. What I got from reading your first post is that you were trying to flash a recovery every time you wanted to get into recovery? You still have some hope yet. Listen to the more experienced people here. Most are very helpful and understanding of "extreme" circumstances. You should definitely follow the thread that was linked for you. One way or another you will be trying adb shell to the phone. That's the best I can offer and unfortunately with things like this it can be trial and error. There is hope for you yet. Don't be discouraged. Just realize that you have some time ahead of you to figure this out and most of all, be patient and good luck! Welcomed to the forum!

I couldn't get my into my recovery after using Rom Manager so I did a hard reset and bricked my phone. Now I am trying to flash the firmware back to my phone because all it does is blink the LG logo I have no recovery. Nothing will read my phone to flash the firmware or to use ADB. I have been following everyones threads to the best of my ability. Thank you for your encouragement tho I'm hittin 8 weeks with no phone. Any helpful information you may have would be much appreciated! :(

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
I couldn't get my into my recovery after using Rom Manager so I did a hard reset and bricked my phone. Now I am trying to flash the firmware back to my phone because all it does is blink the LG logo I have no recovery. Nothing will read my phone to flash the firmware or to use ADB. I have been following everyones threads to the best of my ability. Thank you for your encouragement tho I'm hittin 8 weeks with no phone. Any helpful information you may have would be much appreciated! :(

Try this?

It looks as if it almost specifically addresses your issue. And what he speaks of toward the end of the post about "quantum tunneling" I'm not sure if its called that or not but there is a way to get into your phone even with nothing on it. Almost like forcing the phone to accept what you are pushing to it.

Give it a shot. Let us know what comes of it!

EDIT: and I suggest not using rom manager again. I heard it can cause problems. Which could be what you are experiencing now.

jondevere

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Hit me up and ill try my best :p jondevere@gmail.com best way is to use gtalk to get ahold of me or email

uberjam545

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I found this post from a long time ago

I feel like, as long as you can get to recovery, 99% of all problems can be solved with a little ADB work.

1) Does ADB recognize the phone (must be in recovery).
2) Does wiping factory/data/cache help?
3) Have you tried flashing a custom ROM? (make special note of any errors)
4) Have you tried following the instructions to bring your phone back to stock?

So the first thing you want to do is get into recovery with vol-down+home+power, it might not work at first but from what I've heard from other people is that if you spend a half hour or so trying it over and over again eventually it might work and get you into recovery mode. If it eventually works for you then i would try doing everything from that list in order or use KDZ or another unbrick method.
Later in the thread someone says something about your phone only being fully bricked when it won't power on or do anything and you have the classic LG logo hang which people have fixed many times before so it can be done you just gotta keep trying the ways people on this site have used to unbrick their phones before.