ROM/Kernel Combos

On3wheels

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I was wondering if certain kernels worked better with certain roms...i noticed that reborn comes with picas kernel but i like xionias kernel for the higher clocking. do the roms work best with the kernel provided? or is there some performace to be gained by changing the kernel ?

uberjam545

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
From my experience it doesn't really matter, i used to use beezy's kernal on nROM because back in the day xionia kernal use to lag a little if you connected to wifi, other than that all kernals seem pretty much the same to me i think the picasticks one is a little bit more stable than xionia ever was so i would keep it.

Or you can benchmark them both and see what has better scores.

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
From my experience it doesn't really matter, i used to use beezy's kernal on nROM because back in the day xionia kernal use to lag a little if you connected to wifi, other than that all kernals seem pretty much the same to me i think the picasticks one is a little bit more stable than xionia ever was so i would keep it.

Or you can benchmark them both and see what has better scores.

100% agree with this. The Picasticks kernel is SUPER fast and SUPER stable. Doesn't include a bunch of untested, unstable hacks like Xionia does. Don't get me wrong, I like using untested and unstable hacks but not on my phone that I use every day.

OP: Xionia and Picasticks kernels both overclock the exact same. The max for both is ~864MHz. Honestly I would go with Picasticks kernel as it is built directly off the LG kernel source with a few things added in the kernel config.

lichan

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Xionia has the ext file system modules while picasticks does not for those using Link2SD, Data2Ext or any other app needing an ext2, ext3, or ext5 second sdcard partition.

athanos

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Personally I like both of them. However, it seems that CM7 does not like Picasticks kernel as well. I seem to get more reboots with that kernel on CM7 versus Xionia kernel. This may be because Picasticks is made from LG source and designed for 2.2 Roms, but CM7 is 2.3 and is also not built from any LG source. Picasticks kernel runs excently with any of the 2.2 Roms in my opinion.

As stated above, one advantage of Xionia that I like is the ability to use data2ext. I have plenty of room for apps.

On3wheels

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
awesome input. exactly what i was looking for.

so even if i go threw and partition my sd in clockwork recovery, if using picastiks, itll never get utilized. Just wasted sdcard space?

many thanks to all

DoesItMatter

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Actually the last picasticks 07 kernel did add the ext modules in.

Nick7 has his mediafire folder published - its got the latest picasticks + some modifications he did for reborn.

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Actually the last picasticks 07 kernel did add the ext modules in.

Nick7 has his mediafire folder published - its got the latest picasticks + some modifications he did for reborn.

They are listed as added. However they are inaccessible depending on what Rom you choose... I'm going to look into the nodded version and maybe we will get better ext support to eventually be able to use the SD as everyone else is able to on other phones...