12-14-2011 11:02 PM
43 12
tools
    What are the benifits of running cyanogenmod?
    I see all the posts about installation procedures but nothing about the actual benifits of installing it..
    Don't know if it is worth it at all or if having my phone rooted is just as well...
    If I missed something ..my apologies..just a stupid question
    12-12-2011 12:29 PM
    Try it, you will find out quickly why it is so loved...I've pretty much tried all the different roms available for this phone and always end up back to cm7, kraven is doing a amazing job right now with his..if you don't like it, you can always just flash back
    12-12-2011 12:35 PM
    I haven't got the nerve yet to try a rom install...I am so afraid to make my phone a paper weight...
    I hear people bricking their phones everyday...lol
    If I find a laymans guide for idiots I might just make that jump
    12-12-2011 12:55 PM
    I haven't got the nerve yet to try a rom install...I am so afraid to make my phone a paper weight...
    I hear people bricking their phones everyday...lol
    If I find a laymans guide for idiots I might just make that jump
    If you would like I can call you off a blocked number and walk you through it, its an amazing rom and kraven is an amazing dev
    12-12-2011 01:03 PM
    I may take you up on that offer but I am at work now
    12-12-2011 01:06 PM
    I may take you up on that offer but I am at work now
    Just shoot me a pm whenever you want, obviously don't have me call your cellphone though
    spurfan33 likes this.
    12-12-2011 01:39 PM
    Just read up, people bricking normally are the ones that didn't read up on how to the guides on here are pretty good. Now with one click roots available it has become pretty much fool proof
    12-12-2011 05:05 PM
    well,,,i am rooted ,,,that was a "no brainer" but the idea of installing a rom is a bit outta my realm of expertise

i have no home phone so it will be a bit tough to hit you up deathangel1496...i guess i'll hafta find a "guide" to run me through the process....i would appreciate you pointing me in the right direction
    12-12-2011 07:21 PM
    another question i have is how to install a Rom if rom manager has been causing people to brick their phones ?? i dont know if there was another program similar that anyone could recommend
    12-12-2011 07:24 PM
    Go to the thread for the ROM you plan on
    installing, the first couple posts are a walk through of the ROM. Install is easy, make sure you have the right radio installed, VH or vd, download the ROM to your sd, go to custom recovery, with optimus power on holding power, volume up and home keys, Make backup!, clearcache, install t the zip you downloaded and reboot. If you have a issue post it in the roms forum, they are well monitored and lots of people will help
    12-12-2011 07:37 PM
    Fyi, some roms you may need to flash additional zips such as google app p
    12-12-2011 07:39 PM
    i do have an app called Rom toolbox by JRummy16 and it can be use to install roms...
    here is a link to that app on the market if anyone can take a look and let me know if that'll suffice
    12-12-2011 07:40 PM
    12-12-2011 07:43 PM
    i want to install kraven's cm7.....but dont know if it has everything i need or do i have to install other zips as well
    12-12-2011 07:47 PM
    you will need to at least flash google apps... its all explained and linked in the begining of the thread.. MAKE SURE TO BACKUP BEFORE FLASHING!! number 1 reason people have issues... if you end up messing something up like flash on wrong radio or forget to clear cache, you can just reboot back into recovery and restore back.
    12-12-2011 07:57 PM
    DON"T USE ROM TOOLBOX...just flash it normally!!!! short cuts WILL cause more issues then its worth!!!
    It only takesa couple minutes to flasha rom the right way
    12-12-2011 07:58 PM
    i have been monitoring the post ....[ROM] CM7.2 Port for Optimus S by thekraven 12-8-2011
    and have noticed alot of issues people are having ....
    like problems with messages sending and not being able to charge with the phone off....
    are these issues just part of it and its something i'll hafta live with ? or is this an ongoing procedure and these issues are being dealt with and fixed day by day ?
    12-12-2011 08:06 PM
    yea, it looks like the 12/8 build hasbeen having some issues, i'm sticking w/ 11/20 untill its straightened out... 11/20 is stll aval on post 1. kraven will have the newest build fixed in no time..
    spurfan33 likes this.
    12-12-2011 08:10 PM
    like i said.. it only talksa couple minutes to flash a rom.. if you don't like, it only takes acouple minutes to go back
    12-12-2011 08:12 PM
    yup,,,this is why i hafta consider the pros and cons of installing a rom at this time,,,,thats all i need is to end up with issues i cant fix,,,i'll wait for a rom that is tested and true .....
    but i really appreciate your help and input
    12-12-2011 08:12 PM
    lol..see... about 15 minutes ago kraven released 12/12 build with the issues from 12/8 fixed
    12-12-2011 08:23 PM
    You are rooted, did you install xionia custom recovery? Without it you cannot move beyond rooted stock. What baseband are you running? The beauty of custom roms, and a custom recovery is that you can create a backup image. That should always be the first thing you do before you change anything else on the phone. Within xionia recovery there is an option for backup and restore where you can save a "nandroid" or nand for short, or restore a former nand if having issues with changes you make. In that way you can avert the pitfalls of flashing a custom rom by having this safety net.
    spurfan33 likes this.
    12-12-2011 08:39 PM
    i am rooted but that is it....i have not installed a recovery of any sort.....i am running ZVD
    12-12-2011 08:46 PM
    Speaking of which i am not familiar with the adb shell at all,,,,,i noticed that xionias recovery it asks you to insert commands and the adb shell.....way outta my realm
    12-12-2011 08:52 PM
    Just do your homework, then try it, you will nvr get good at it if you don't try. We are here if you need any help
    for the adb.

download this- Android SDK | Android Developers

to use andorid sdk you need to have java JDK installed download link here -

Java SE Development Kit 7u2 Downloads

Install the java JDK. first.

After you install the Android sdk open it and click install packages(will take a while to download them)

You will also need to instal the drivers for your phone, found here - http://www.lg.com/us/products/docume...0_All_Win7.exe

If you have windows 7 . go here C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk
    The way i get it to work is go to the system tools folder and copy the contents of it, and paste it into the tools folder(I don't if this is the right way to get it to work in W7 , but it works for me)

For ADB shell open up command promt.

type in
    cd C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\tools
    and hit enter. (if you don't have it open, when ever you need adb shell you need to do this)

On your phone go to settings, then appplication, then in developent make shure USB debugging is check. then plug in you phone to ur computer, and then follow the instructions on how to install xionias recovery.

One you have that installed, flashing roms is very easy. For Kraven cm7 just go to the post for it and it will ahve the install instructions in there.

The first thing you should do after installing xionias recovery is make a nand droid backup. Just turn off ur phone and press the power + volume down + home button at the same time till lg symbol pops up then release, recovery should pop up, then scroll down using the volume keys and selected back up/restore, menu key is enter button, scroll to back up, then let it run. then you ready to flash whatever rom you would like.

Just remember It is alot easier than it looks, Getting the sdk tools installed is the hardest part.
    The 2nd hardest part is installing xionias recovery, but its not that hard.

Just make sure to read the instructions and tips on both the xionias recovery post, and the post for the rome, Read it a couple times, and if you follow it you shouldnt have any probs.

Just remember to just come back and ask if you have any problems or questions.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Sorry if i was confusing at all
    12-12-2011 09:14 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD