Any reason not to get the Optimus S?

droidfool

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Well-I am just about to take the dive and order this phone on Sprint's web site and switch off Verizon to Sprint. Anybody have any reason why I shouldn't? Is everybody pretty happy with this phone?
I'm in NYC. I understand that the Sprint service is now as good as Verizon.
Speak now or forever hold your phone!

Brutal-Force

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
I just bought this phone last week for my GF.

For reference, I am a HTC EVO owner.

Well, my GF just switched over from Verizon.

This phone is like a tiny version of the EVO. Obviously it is only a 3G phone.

The phone is solid, camera is only 3.2MP but takes decent pictures (much better than my G1 ever did).

It runs 2.2 Froyo already so that is a bonus.

My only negative is that it currently does not run flash and due to processor, it may never officially get flash, however... I believe if you root it, you will probably be able to run flash.

I have waited to root my GF's phone until she decides whether she wants to keep it or if she will want a EVO or Galaxy S.

Either way this is a very solid phone with very solid features especially for only $49.99.

Good luck with your decision.

Reactions: droidfool

intheb0x

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Heard phil says the optimus is faster at loading menus and is just more optimized over the evo, X and inc...

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

outdors21

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
No issues here. Replaced the stock 2gb SD card with a 16gb and everything is smooth sailing.

Zero lag for me and I've installed at least 25 apps. I really, really like this phone.

nachtwolf88

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
love this phone other then not having swype on it and still have yet to be able to find a way to install a working version of swype i am happy with it

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
The 2GB microSD card it came with had some problems for me, but the 8GB card I swapped it with has been in my Optimus S for a little over a day with no issues. I also haven't had any issues with the phone locking up... I'm very, very happy with this phone (especially having come from a Palm Centro!).

devgrp

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I had an EVO since the first day it came out but I sold it and got the Optimus S. Even though the EVO is a higher end phone I prefer the Optimus S. Here are the reasons why. I was running CM on my evo and didnt have 4g. I never missed it. For what I use my phone for the 3g speed is perfect. The evo is very fragile, meaning I had to be very careful how I hold it for fear of dropping it. Thats not the case with the Optimus S. The Optimus has physical buttons with a bigger bezel. It was hard to hold the evo with one hand when pressing the touch buttons. I was always pressing the search button by mistake and that drove me crazy.

The optimus is fast. The only cons I have with this phone is the internal memory is too little, and even though its running stock froyo I cant get the wii controller to work. Before the evo I had a BB 8900 on T-mobile and I loved that phone so the screen size is not a problem for me. Angry birds work and thats the only game I play on my phone even when I had the evo apart from the snes emu. If I can get the wii controller to work, then I'll be set for a while.

NOMster

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
i think a HUGE part of the appeal so far is the way sprint left out all the usual preinstalls. its almost completely untainted. if you don't intall any id's other than the one that comes on it (and i don't know if everyone is aware but you can uninstall alot of the apps that come in that one), it's just almost a blank slate of pure google apps. leaving it up to us to decide what we want is definitely a step in the right direction.

basically the only non google apps i have are sprint zone (widget uninstalled) and sprint id. but no apps installed from the stock id. awesomesauce.

lanje78

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
So far, I love it. I cracked the screen on my beloved Pre, but it was time to upgrade anyway. After being lost in the world of Palm for the last 5 years, the Optimus is pretty cool, so far. Haven't rooted it yet though, so I"m sure it will only get better. Go for it, if you don't like it you always have the 30 day trial period with Sprint.

s33ker

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I wonder why the Optimus T got swype and the S didnt :(

Swype licences their software to both carriers and manufacturers. For example T-Mobile purchased the software so all the android handsets they choose to put it on will get it while all Samsung Galaxy S phones will have Swype regardless of carrier because Samsung purchased the software for that specific line of handsets.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non