Updates

seebee72

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Will the LG Optimus become outdated? Ive seen rumors that the Optimus may not receive updates after Dec 2010 I believe. Does anyone know if this is true?

zefie

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
When was the last time a Sprint rumor was true :)

Even so rom dev community will get Gingerbread on this thing somehow :p

zefie

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Haha that is very true.

Could you give me a quick recap of what the rom dev community is. Also is Gingerbread the name of the soon to come update?

Well right now KSmithInNY and Beezy are the first to make a ROM. "rom dev community" is just a name I give to all those who make ROMs. Right now thats KSmithInNY and Beezy but I'm sure more will jump in and make something.

Gingerbread is Android 2.3 I believe, it's not out yet I don't think.

We'll see what happens :)

drellisdee

ROM Developer
Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Haha that is very true.

Could you give me a quick recap of what the rom dev community is. Also is Gingerbread the name of the soon to come update?

Well since the minimum specs for gingerbread are a 3.5 inch screen and a 1gz processor Link here I wouldn't expect an official gingerbread release for this device. That leaves the dev community for gingerbread. With Lg already selling over 1 million units in the optimus lineup worldwide I'm sure they will continue support for quite some extended time well beyond 2010.

seebee72

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Well right now KSmithInNY and Beezy are the first to make a ROM. "rom dev community" is just a name I give to all those who make ROMs. Right now thats KSmithInNY and Beezy but I'm sure more will jump in and make something.

Gingerbread is Android 2.3 I believe, it's not out yet I don't think.

We'll see what happens :)

Awesome, thanks for the info. I'm just now becoming a member of the Android community so I'm still trying to catch up on all the happenins.

seebee72

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Well since the minimum specs for gingerbread are a 3.5 inch screen and a 1gz processor Link here I wouldn't expect an official gingerbread release for this device. That leaves the dev community for gingerbread. With Lg already selling over 1 million units in the optimus lineup worldwide I'm sure they will continue support for quite some extended time well beyond 2010.

Thanks, I didn't realize that was the case.

zefie

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Well since the minimum specs for gingerbread are a 3.5 inch screen and a 1gz processor Link here I wouldn't expect an official gingerbread release for this device.

Well that sucks. They probably require ARMv7 so even a dev release would likely be unoptimized and slow, as well as all the market apps being incompatible(?). Hum.

Edit: nevermind, update to post says they are "recommended" specs, not "minimum".

Gee

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Those mininum specs were debunked by Google or someone within the Android team at Google.

I think the Optimus S' specs are not in bad condition though. Mostly due to the 512 in RAM and Adreno 200 GPU in case of hardware acceleration.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez