Anyone feel 3G Data is slow compare to other Sprint 3G phones?

godawgs

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
You can't compare this situation with a router at home. The router doesn't control the computer as far as power settings and such. A router is sending a signal and it is up to the device to retrieve the signal. Some will do a better job at greater distances, but on a cellular network the network has much more control on how data is transferred and what speeds are available in certain areas based on congestion. Even the power rating the phone is running at is controlled by the network. It could have told one phone to run at a certain power that is lower than another. That will affect reception to a certain degree which can affect data speed. Not to mention it can effect your perceived signal strength, but we all know those meters on phones are never truly accurate since there isn't an industry standard.

NOMster

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
All I know is
21112186.png

That is pretty good.

mklemick

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Had mike for a few days, thought it was slow a couple of time, but other times is is screaming fast compared to previous phone. This morning, pulled up this site very fast, must be network issues

NOMster

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
i'm only illustrating that the phone is not the issue. of course everyones area determines the actual results and all that stuff but the claim that the phone doesn't or can't perform on the same level at delivering good 3g speeds is just false.

NOMster

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Okay here was my results from my phone when tethered to my sierra wireless overdrive one minute prior to the test I posted earlier. Sitting in the exact same spot.

21112143.png

And don't try to say that the phone is dragging the hotspots down because I get 4-6 megs on my home wifi just like I get from my computer.

c1phr

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I just got 1210 Down and 619 Up in AZ (6:30 AM). I don't have any other 3g phones to test it with, but a friend of mine has a Palm Pre and my speeds seem very similar to hers.

I haven't noticed 3g being terribly slow here at all either. While there is definitely a difference to when I'm on WiFi, the 3g isn't something I can complain about. It's still far faster than what all the VZW nuts here are talking about.

Another thing to note is the time of day you test at, as the network providers turn the power down on some antennas during off peak hours. Try testing in peak and off peak hours and see what you get that way.

mklemick

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
may be a network issue, but just did a number of speed tests and the best i could pull down was about 500k with 4 to 5 bars of service.

Maurice419

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I think if your phone is acting up you should take it back to sprint and get a new one. The sold a million of them over the last few weeks, so I am sure that some are lemons. I will be getting mine tomorrow and I hope I don't have the problems that others seem to have, but if I do, i will take it back and get another one until it works.:cool:

NOMster

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I just ran a crapload of tests with the optimistic side by side to a Samsung moment. Speeds were comparable at all times. Sometimes one was faster sometimes the other but there wasnot enough difference at any point to raise an eyebrow over.

Immersion

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Ive had my Optimus for 2 weeks now (v9, rooted-stock rom) ...

the data is fast when downloading apps from the market....but in every other situation it drops out, switches 1x-3g, and is slow in general.....

using the SpeedTest app i usually get 400-600k DL speeds when i crappy old WinMo Diamond would get roughly 1Mish.....whats up with this phone?

ddark1

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
idk, mines download fast from the market too, other than that its pretty slow, my flashed Cricket phones web was faster than this one, still like the phone though

nealoc187

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
This is my first smartphone so I don't have much to compare it to, but I just ran a bunch of speed tests under a couple different circumstances to test the 3G speed of my Optimus S (stock phone).

Let me preface this by saying that my apartment is in a really dead zone for coverage. So dead that with my previous phone (which I had until last saturday) I had to go in to either the living room or the den and be near the windows in either of those rooms to have a conversation. Conversations were impossible in other areas of the apartment. (With my new Optimus S I can make calls basically in any room of the apartment except maybe the bathroom, in which the convo cuts in and out. Otherwise the calls are still fine even though I get 0-2 bars in various places in my apartment)

Anyhow, I just happened to receive my Sprint AIRAVE Airvana signal booster today, so I ran some speed tests before installing the signal booster and after (it plugs in to your highspeed internet router and functions as a small standalone cell tower).

Here are the results from the numerous speed tests I did with the Speedtest.net application under various circumstances. Download is listed first, Upload is listed second. All tests were done between 3pm and 4pm central time (traffic is bad outside from people going home early from work because of the holiday, so i assume cell traffic is fairly heavy too?)

In my bedroom (NOT near a window or anything) - 0 bars of service showing and 1x icon showing instead of 3G icon
0.03 Mbps D - 0.00 Mbps U (it was unable to even register an Up speed)

In the den sitting in a chair (approximately 3 feet from window, phone in hands) 1 bar of service and 3G icon showing:
0.20 Mbps - 0.01 Mbps
0.23 Mbps - 0.09 Mbps
0.23 Mbps - 0.02 Mbps

In the den with the phone set directly on the window sill, 2 bars of service and 3G icon
0.32 Mbps - 0.30 Mbps
0.27 Mbps - 0.13 Mbps

In the den with the phone held up to the window glass, 3 bars showing and 3G icon
0.42 Mbps - 0.15 Mbps
0.41 Mbps - 0.22 Mbps

Now I installed the Sprint AIRAVE Airvana and after I was finished I had 6 bars showing and a 3G icon everywhere in my apartment (even in farthest corner from the AIRAVE separated from it by a few walls)
1.46 Mbps - 0.63 Mbps
1.62 Mbps - 0.61 Mbps
1.40 Mbps - 0.43 Mbps

Then I went and ran a couple errands and did some testing along the way out on the road.
0.90 Mbps - 0.67 Mbps (had 4 bars/3G at this point)
0.93 Mbps - 0.67 Mbps (same exact spot sitting at traffic light, 4 bars/3G)

Farther down the road I had 5 bars/3G and got:
1.40 Mbps - 0.82 Mbps

Standing in line at the bank w/ 4 or 5 bars/3G
0.72 Mbps - 0.21 Mbps

Outside the bank in the parking lot w/ 5 bars/3G
1.45 Mbps - 0.30 Mbps

Back in the parking lot of my apartment (back in the dead zone, out of range of the AIRAVE I'm assuming) 3 bars/3G
0.53 Mbps - 0.61 Mbps

Back in my apartment with 6 bars/3G because of the AIRAVE
1.42 Mbps - 0.62 Mbps
1.67 Mbps - 0.63 Mbps

I also ran a couple tests with WiFi enabled, through my ATT Uverse internet service
7.63 Mbps - 1.46 Mbps
8.63 Mbps - 1.46 Mbps

My 12Mbps internet service registers 11.40 Mbps - 1.43 Mbps when tested on the computer (wireless), so the phone is obviously not as fast as a computer even when it's running the test through WiFi.

gregg53186

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Not slow compared to my old BB 8530. Loads websites in 1/4-1/2 the time.

On 3G from home to Milwaukee Server (local)
Download 0.5 Mbps
Upload 0.46 Mbps

On WiFi
Download 13.09 Mbps
Upload 0.55 Mbps

On 3G from home to Chicago
Download 0.72 Mbps
Upload 0.63 Mbps

On Wifi
Download 10.36 Mbps
Upload 0.55 Mbps

Last edited:

fristuff

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Idk why but many times, my upload would be higher than my download here in NYC. Does that mean something's wrong with by phone?

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

trekkie1701c

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Probably just that the network download is in use a lot more than upload :p I'll also sometimes get a lagspike when I test download and it'll throw the entire thing out of whack.

Also since people are posting speeds:

Home (a few miles outside of downtown Fort Worth):
D: ~900
U: ~800

Work (a mile away, farther from downtown):
D: ~1500
U: ~1000

Downtown Fort Worth, right before xmas:
D: 2346
U: 733

So phone seems to be decently fast with a good signal.

lost_

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Re: Anyone feel 3G Data is slow compare to other Sprint 3G phones

I'm in DC suburb with excellent coverage. My experience with:
- 2 accounts
- 2 Optimus S
- 2 Palm Pro

Both accounts are on identical plans. I migrated 1 account from the Palm Pro to the Optimus S. Side by side, I ran dslreports.com/mspeedtest:
- Palm Pro: 617 kilobits per second
- Optimus S: 115 kilobits per second

I repeated the test multiple times at different times of the day and got similar results every time. I was wondering if the issue was that particular Optimus handset. So, I activated the 2nd account on the 2nd Optimus and ran the tests. The result: still very low throughput with the Optimus S. I tried the test with different ROMs as well and got low throughput just the same.

So, with two Optimus S units, I keep getting poor results. In my case, it's not the network.

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Re: Anyone feel 3G Data is slow compare to other Sprint 3G phones

I wonder if people not paying for "premium data" are the ones experiencing the slower speeds. I myself seem to have slower speeds and also don't pay the fee as I am grandfathered in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa