Feedback - Whats improved (radio/kernel) with software version LS670ZVC

Immersion

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
So do you guys see any improvements with the software version LS670ZVC?
I know the radio is different and an updated kernel....but for us rooted people who want to keep root....is it worth the hassle?

Is 3g any faster?
Does the phone feel any snappier?
Angry birds play any faster?

Last edited:

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
They enabled JIT by default, but you already have that with custom ROMs.

Also there might be some dependency between the newer OS and the Radio. This might mean that future custom ROMs may end up depending on the VC radio as well.

apinkel

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
This update is supposed to fix the sd card mount/unmount issue. I don't have that problem so I'm not in a hurry to update. I'm waiting to see what the rom cooks come up with...

If there's one thing I hope this radio/baseband update does is to improve battery life in weak signal areas. I'm really happy with the battery life on the opt s, unless I'm in a low signal area.

I anyone hears if this update improves battery life in weak signal areas, please post back.

revhappy

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
To be honest, nothing's changed from my perspective. I'm somewhat of a power user, and I do a lot of multitasking, and I don't feel any difference in games (Raging Thunder being the most intensive), browsing, call or data quality, streaming, or any apps I open up.

coadman

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I have a Stock Optimus S, but the OTA update hasnt come down to me yet. My son has a rooted Optimus S, and his update appeared yesterday. He did the flash from here to stop the nag, and I think is working well. I may root my phone in the future, so am at a loss wheather to take the update(as if it improves battery life in fringe areas, I'm up for that), or root my v9 now, which is easier? We live in a fringe area, and son says that is what brings his battery down, when it searches for service quite a bit.

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I have a Stock Optimus S, but the OTA update hasnt come down to me yet. My son has a rooted Optimus S, and his update appeared yesterday. He did the flash from here to stop the nag, and I think is working well. I may root my phone in the future, so am at a loss wheather to take the update(as if it improves battery life in fringe areas, I'm up for that), or root my v9 now, which is easier? We live in a fringe area, and son says that is what brings his battery down, when it searches for service quite a bit.

From what I gather from reading in the Rooting/Hacks section, if you think you may want to root, run the update through your pc using the LG Update tool. I'm on v9 rooted using ThundeROM and I disabled the update...waiting it out. At this point the rooting process appears to be much more involved for vc and since what I have is working perfectly I'm going to leave well enough alone ;)

JINXR65

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
My battery life is a lot better already. I've also noticed that it's a little quicker. And it seems that the landscape mode in swype has a different layout. Is the spacebar all the way on the bottom right corner for you?? I don't use it much but I could gave swore it was in the middle on the bottom.

apinkel

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
That's what i was hoping to do with this thread ...to get feedback from those who have already updated to the VC radio!

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack the thread and I hope I wasn't too redundant with my post. I'm just specifically looking for feedback on battery life in low signal areas since it's the one complaint about battery life I have with this phone. I'm holding off upgrading to VC because of all the stuff I have setup on my phone but if I hear it improves in this area it's going to tip me over the edge to do the update.

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Fwiw, my husband ran the update. He is not rooted and could are less about it :p He has not noticed a difference in performance or reception. So far he has had no problems either.

Last edited:

bluerobin

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
We have 4 Optimus's in our house, all received and ran the OTA update early this weekend. We have noticed that the phones seem a little snappier but not really anything major. But I do have a maybe stupid question. I have been reading that if you plan to root again, that you run the update from the LG update tool rather than the OTA update, my question is....what is the difference on how you run the update? If it is the same update, why the upgrade tool rather than the OTA? I don't understand.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I have been reading that if you plan to root again, that you run the update from the LG update tool rather than the OTA update, my question is....what is the difference on how you run the update? If it is the same update, why the upgrade tool rather than the OTA? I don't understand.
When you run the OTA VC update, it updates your Recovery Partition in such a way that root is no longer possible. If you update to VC using the LG Software Updater tool, it doesn't touch your V9 Recovery Partition, so you can still root after installing the VC update.

bluerobin

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Thank you so much for the explanation, we are not planning to root any of our phones but I was really curious about the difference. I lurk all day up here learning things but very rarely post.

oraphus

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
is anyone's phone laggy after update?

I noticed that it takes longer to activate certain screens and switch between apps. Some times it'll take 2-3 sec to bring the text messaging app after i press the button.
Soft resetting helps for a while but then it starts to lag again. Anyone else experience this? any solutions?

jsm0377

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I was also experiencing the same problems as above. To add, everything was working fine until this morning when I find that I had missed two texts. When I received a call, the dialer FC'd and many of my apps both on the phone and the sd were FC'ing. Took the phone into Sprint and they hard reset the phone. Haven't reinstalled my apps yet because I'm trying to decide if I want to root it and put a new ROM on it. Waiting to see what the devs come up with for the VC update.

tmeader

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I was also experiencing the same problems as above. To add, everything was working fine until this morning when I find that I had missed two texts. When I received a call, the dialer FC'd and many of my apps both on the phone and the sd were FC'ing. Took the phone into Sprint and they hard reset the phone. Haven't reinstalled my apps yet because I'm trying to decide if I want to root it and put a new ROM on it. Waiting to see what the devs come up with for the VC update.

nROM 1.5.1 is already setup for the VC radio. Might wanna give that a shot.

rossum

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I just got this installed using the revert to v8, do the v9 manual upgrade, and then do the VC OTA method. I used this method because my phone has been unstable restarting a lot, and I wanted it to look as stock as possible if I have to bring it to Sprint for repair.

Before, using stock V9 plus Xionia kernel 5, Google Sky Maps would reliably crash the phone after 20-30 seconds. Now, that doesn't happen.

So at least something is improved with this version.

Quadrant, on the other hand, does not show much improved scores: 455 now vs 435 before.

Last edited:

rossum

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Update: my phone is nearly bricked.

After posting the previous message, my phone worked fine for a day, then I power cycled it and it wouldn't boot -- it only showed the LG logo.

I tried to force it into recovery, but it wouldn't do it. After about 6 tries (removing the battery every time) it finally went into recovery. The only thing which worked was telling it to do a factory reset.

After this, the phone worked again, but power cycling again caused it to hang on boot and require a factory reset.

I'm giving up on this phone and getting another. No idea if the hardware is bad or if something screwed up because of the sequence of things which were flashed on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty