Why does my phone not alert me when I get a text?

May 6, 2020
Visit site
For the past few months my phone has been acting up when it comes to alerting me when I get a text. If I'm actively using my phone, it's fine. If my screen is off, sometimes it'll take anywhere from five to fifteen minutes for my screen to come on and my phone to make my text alert noise. Sometimes I won't even get the noise/notification until I turn my screen on. This happens more often than not. And also, when I turn my screen on, the phone will jump from a certain time right to the current time. It has been updated several times and I've restarted it plenty of times as well, the same thing still happens. I have tried turning on and then off airplane mode and DND. I've tried other suggestions from multiple websites and still cannot fix this issue. I have an LG Stylo 4 and I've had it for slightly over a year.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Any power-saving modes turned on, or 3rd party battery-saver apps installed?

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
LG Stylo 4

Which version of android?
Which carrier?
Which messaging app?
Check the battery optimization settings?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Try also turning off Battery Optimization for the messaging app, if it's not off already.

May 6, 2020
Visit site
I'm not really sure that it's something wrong with the messaging app itself. Like I said, if I'm currently using the phone, I'll get the notification of a text right away. The problem only happens when my screen is off. " If my screen is off, sometimes it'll take anywhere from five to fifteen minutes for my screen to come on and my phone to make my text alert noise. Sometimes I won't even get the noise/notification until I turn my screen on. This happens more often than not. And also, when I turn my screen on, the phone will jump from a certain time right to the current time." I don't know if that is an issue directly with my phone, or just texts.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It could be. If an app is battery optimized, it might "sleep" inappropriately when the screen is off (in an attempt to preserve battery), and won't wake up again until the phone is awake (or until you open the messaging app into the foreground). Still worth trying as a test.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm not really sure that it's something wrong with the messaging app itself. Like I said, if I'm currently using the phone, I'll get the notification of a text right away. The problem only happens when my screen is off. " If my screen is off, sometimes it'll take anywhere from five to fifteen minutes for my screen to come on and my phone to make my text alert noise. Sometimes I won't even get the noise/notification until I turn my screen on. This happens more often than not. And also, when I turn my screen on, the phone will jump from a certain time right to the current time." I don't know if that is an issue directly with my phone, or just texts.
That's why I'm suggesting try another text app to determine its your stock message app issue or phone settings issue. These are troubleshooting steps to help figure out what's happening .

May 6, 2020
Visit site
So I tried Textra for a few days, and then GO SMS. Although I really do like the many customization options on Textra, the problem still persists. I'm out of ideas.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
So I tried Textra for a few days, and then GO SMS. Although I really do like the many customization options on Textra, the problem still persists. I'm out of ideas.
"And also, when I turn my screen on, the phone will jump from a certain time right to the current time." I don't know if that is an issue directly with my phone, or just texts."

I reread back again from your earlier post , you might have a issue with your sim. Try safe mode with your stock message app see if it still a problem.

May 6, 2020
Visit site
It still does the same thing. It's really not that big of a deal, just an annoyance and inconvenience. Not being alerted about a text for sometimes up to twenty minutes or until I turn my screen on is irritating. Not like I need to buy a new phone or anything though. Just thought I'd see if there was a way to fix it. Thanks for all the help and suggestions though you guys. I appreciate it very much. :)