V10 or 6P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
As for the Priv thing. I think you kinda missed the point about non-removable batteries. The main point made was the phones mechanical integrity is a lot easier to design in if you don't have to make the battery removable. Plus the battery can be a shape to take better advantage of the volume available, which means it can be bigger for a given body size. Bigger means longer life.

Yes, but my point was that the resources required to engineer a non-rectangular, complete custom battery that fits around the phone shape in such a way as to maximize space and capacity are resources that cannot go into creating better software. From a resource standpoint, it's far easier, faster, and cheaper to specify a rectangular battery (using a third party supplier) than to do what, for example, Apple did with the battery in the current Macbook.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
Really? New? Where?

There may be some out there, but buying an older bit of tech that hooks to cellular networks is a fool's game.

I wanted T-Mobile's band 12 and VoLTE technology. Note 5? Not on your life. (Besides, I swore off Samsung stuff a year and a half ago after they updated my Galaxy S3 into the ground and then denied, against all evidence in the world and on the web, that anything went wrong. So sorry. Well, I know how to vote with my wallet.)

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
They *may* go back to an SD card. As I noted elsewhere there are some really slick designs that jam that card in the same slot as the SIM card.

Shoot, last I heard Apple--ever mindful of the cost of hardware that must be repeated on each unit sold--was talking about a "software SIM" solution. In other words, it sounded like they were pushing going down the Verizon route. No SIM card, just a phone serial number. Don't know what happened to that talk.

Jordan Miera

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
I got the V10. I came from the Note 4. The V10 is pretty similar in size and weight to the Note 4, so that wasn't an issue. I have had Samsung phones for the past 3.5 years solid (S3, S4, S5, Note 4). When they removed the SD Card expansion in the Note 5, I was out. Since I rely so heavily on expandable SD Card, 6P was out. I also JUST got the Qi wireless charging back for the V10. Another reason the 6P was out for me, no Qi wireless charging. The V10 is excellent. If you liked the Note 4, the V10 is for you. I love the 2nd screen. The camera is very good, but it does lag a little when taking a picture. That is probably the only thing I miss from the Note 4. If the Note 5 had expandable SD, I would have stayed with Samsung. But, I am very happy with my V10. AND, I got it in time for the 200GB SD card AND Best Buy 24" TV. I sold them both to pay for the early payoff of my Note 4. I would have preferred to buy stock Android (love my Nexus 7), but not having expandable SD, costing more to buy more internal memory for the 6P and lack of Qi wireless charging made the 6P a NO GO for me. V10 all the way!

Would you mind providing any thoughts on V10 battery life compared to that of the Note 4? Thanks. :)

jm1219

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Well, Marshmallow fixed a lot of the security issues that SD cards lead to and many OEM's have gotten the slot to fit in the SIM tray, which would minimize the structural compromises that SD card slots typically present - so an SD card slot, I'm ok with when it is done mindfully. I have the NVIDIA Shield Tablet and Moto X Pure Edition and both of those have SD card slots and I bought them anyway (through I don't use the slot on either device). Huawei could have gotten away with an SD cards slot and we'd probably be okay.

Removable battery has four standard issues that bother me, though some are with the mentality that they promote rather than the actual feature itself.
1. Physical structure compromise. A device with a removable back and/or battery is going to be obviously more than one piece, removing the back is going to weaken the strength of the device and the assembly. The device is going to necessarily be thicker than it otherwise may need to be. On the flip side, a removable back generally leads to a device that is easier to repair should something physically go wrong with the device. The device will have to be built in a way that the battery is accessible, and some design opportunities are missed, in terms of placement and strategies that can mitigate heat and or use more creative battery shapes.
2. The battery is going to be smaller (in terms of capacity) than it would be if the OEM is not restricted to a rectangle that has to be user removable. Modern batteries can be made to conform to different shapes and thus can eek out more capacity from the same total volume form factor (of the device) by using the space better.
3. Removable batteries promote users' poor behavior due to "hot swapping". Many users think they can 'use the battery down to 5% or less, sometimes letting it die - that's cool, pop off the back and put in the other battery and you're good to go!'. With what we've learned about battery health and heat management, this is very bad for the device and having a device that promotes healthy charging habits by not giving the option for hot swapping in some cases is protecting the user from their own ignorance.
4. Removable batteries promote 'battery pulls', (shutting the device off by removing the battery) which can lead to some of the "lag" and other performance issues that people complain about in phones. Having the user use a proper shut down is much better for the device and the user's experience in the long term.

And for both features, like all features, the inclusion takes up resources in terms of time (engineering, software support) and, for anything that is not a Nexus, will require additional software work on firmware updates to ensure smooth integration of legacy features with new software. So, if the OEM's are going to spend some money on batteries and storage, my preference is this: Spend the money on better software and/or battery technology to get us phones that last many, many days or weeks on a 3000 mAh battery. Spend the money on bringing 256 or 512 GB devices to the market - with faster internal storage that doesn't require a $50 or $100 mark up per increase. I'd much rather have a 128GB phone than have a 32GB phone with an SD card slot, even if the SD card slot supports up to 200GB.

Long story short (TLDR), the cost is way too high for these two features and the benefits are less than none for what I value in phones. Both features, to me, are detrimental and that makes the opportunity cost have an unnatural detraction from the same device in all manners except for the exclusion of either or both features. Obviously some users disagree and value those features above the opportunity cost and for them those features become much more important and desirable. Buy what you like, love what you bought :)

I don't see how a device's physical rigidity is even something you need to think about. Has there been any smartphone that was so physically weak it was an actual issue for the consumer? The only phones even put out lately with supposed build issues were the last iphone and the nexus 6p, unibody phones. And that was proven to be overblown.

2 just isn't really true. Have you ever opened up a sealed device or looked at a teardown? Almost all batteries are some type of rectangle. The only thing a bit different i can think of off the top of my head is the stacked battery design in the LG G2, but that could be removed just like any other battery.

3 isn't bad for the device lol, it's bad for the battery. But that's a non-issue since, you know, it's user-replaceable.

4 is correct. It's also bad for the user to smash their device against a rock. Get what I'm saying?

Visa Declined

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I chose the V10 mostly because of the ESS high resolution audio DAC and headphone amp. Music is a really important part of my life, and there is no other phone that can touch it when wearing headphones. Whether I'm streaming tunes through my Google Music subscription, or bumping FLAC files through PowerAMP and my removable 200Gb Micro SD card, this phone has been a Godsend. Even the audio lovers at Head-fi.org are nuts for this device, and they currently have an 80+ page thread going related to it: http://www.head-fi.org/t/782706/lg-v10-new-ess-chipped-flagship-android-phone-from-lg

The other stand-out feature was of course the camera. With an up to 30 shutter setting, and an f1.8 aperture, you can do amazing things like this guy from Reddit did.

gMIIl49.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
As a newcomer to Android, I must say that the N6P is a beautiful device. It's well made, the software works great and the camera is really good as long as you install a nice manual camera app. Battery life is fantastic. I'm really glad I chose this phone.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
I don't see how a device's physical rigidity is even something you need to think about. Has there been any smartphone that was so physically weak it was an actual issue for the consumer? The only phones even put out lately with supposed build issues were the last iphone and the nexus 6p, unibody phones. And that was proven to be overblown.

2 just isn't really true. Have you ever opened up a sealed device or looked at a teardown? Almost all batteries are some type of rectangle. The only thing a bit different i can think of off the top of my head is the stacked battery design in the LG G2, but that could be removed just like any other battery.

3 isn't bad for the device lol, it's bad for the battery. But that's a non-issue since, you know, it's user-replaceable.

4 is correct. It's also bad for the user to smash their device against a rock. Get what I'm saying?

The world is full of people who can't see a glass half full. They MUST pick at nits, constantly, even if the nit is meaningless as you point out. I've said the same thing about phone cameras; people who never carried a camera before are suddenly "experts" who find fault in every tiny lensed, tiny sensored phone camera and declare the phone 'not worth their time' because the camera isn't the equivalent of a $20K dedicated full frame professional unit with a $30K lens.

Nothing is ever good enough or put into context for those people. They can't see the forest for the one tree that has a broken twig.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The world is full of people who can't see a glass half full. They MUST pick at nits, constantly, even if the nit is meaningless as you point out. I've said the same thing about phone cameras; people who never carried a camera before are suddenly "experts" who find fault in every tiny lensed, tiny sensored phone camera and declare the phone 'not worth their time' because the camera isn't the equivalent of a $20K dedicated full frame professional unit with a $30K lens.

Nothing is ever good enough or put into context for those people. They can't see the forest for the one tree that has a broken twig.
For me your description is very far off. I was very pleased to see the market moving away from features I'm not a fan of in favor of things that I do appreciate. There's zero not picking happening here, just an awareness of what I like and dislike about devices. I'm well aware other people have different priorities in device design philosophy and they're more than welcome to follow the advice I've repeated for years in these forums: buy what you like, like what you bought.

If people are going to get bent out of shape because we disagree, the problem is not that we disagree, it is the perceptions of those who see it as an attack.

Remember, this all started because someone asked for preferences about the two devices in the thread title. With zero information to go on, all we can do is say what we like or dislike. However when I explain my reasons to people who freak out because I like something different, then the thread must come to a full stop in order to discuss the disagreement to death and back? That's silly, just answer the OPs question about which you like, or don't, and move on. I'm 100% comfortable disagreeing and 100% happy with my choices in devices over the past few years ... Some OEMs have played to different goals than others because people like and want different things. That's a good thing.

Many of the other moderators want physical buttons, fingerprint scanners on the front of the device and other things that I don't want. Interestingly enough, we debate the pros and cons and we all buy whatever we individually prefer - even if everyone else likes something else.

Buy what YOU like, love what YOU bought. Don't worry about what I like or what I buy.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
^^^ This . . . The beauty and the horror that is Android is the fragmentation of hardware specs. I subscribe to the theory of using the right tool for the right job (vs Apple who seems to think that one tool is right for every job). Android gives you a chance to do that.

If you need massive storage or whatever, then there's probably an option to suit you . . . albeit at the trade off of something else desirable . . . otherwise it would be an easy decision. But its still your choice regarding what package of features is worth what price.

huungryshark

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
V10!

I love phones i don't have to care dropping it or sitting on it.

Oh and hifi DAC and IR Blaster and FM Radio and removeable battery and QI charging backs etc

LG Flex 2 (5.1.1)

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
One thing I hadn't done with my V10 until yesterday was listen to music through headphones. All I can say is, wow, what an experience. They were not joking about the audio capabilities of this baby. Extremely well done LG.

ybcthanerd

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
i like both phones. but the thing thats making m decesion for me is price. $500 up front or taxes up front(t-mobile jump). im not paying $500 for a phone that makes no sense to me i specifically got the jump program to get a new nexus every year. but now google screwed me over smh so im going with the v10 as its the only financable device that i want on t-mobile. so ill be getting it in a week or so.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Me, I bought a 128GB card and stuck it in there, then immediately told my camera to store stuff there--and I then installed HERE Maps and downloaded the entire US for offline use, stored--you guessed it--on the SD card..
Not sure that's really an endorsement for the SD card, I have a few games that come in at close to the size of the entire USA map without any worries about space and I don't have removable storage

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Update: The OP went with the 6P and the thread went way off course. Thanks for coming out everyone, we'll see you around :)

Status
Not open for further replies.