LG V10 overheating cellular radio

cguella

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
Latest on the roaming overheating issue. Trying to post all latest images here and in doing so gather screenshot for website feedback. When it falls I'll delete and post from computer. :)

Posted via the Android Central App

Ok. Chromebook not allowing me to post images at all... Here goes one at a time. Sorry. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• 82511.jpg
    82511.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 62
  • 82509.jpg
    82509.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 63
  • 82511.jpg
    82511.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 63
  • 82513.jpg
    82513.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 63
  • 82515.jpg
    82515.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 82517.jpg
    82517.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 82519.jpg
    82519.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 62
  • 82521.jpg
    82521.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 62
Last edited by a moderator:

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Ok. Chromebook not allowing me to post images at all... Here goes one at a time. Sorry. Thanks for the help.
Latest 1

2 biggest issues I see are Android system using GPS for over 2 hours and Google services with over 30 minutes of keep awake. With your up time only being 4 hours, those are bad numbers.

Have you been using the GPS for anything? What location setting are you using?

cguella

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
2 biggest issues I see are Android system using GPS for over 2 hours and Google services with over 30 minutes of keep awake. With your up time only being 4 hours, those are bad numbers.

Yes. Using GPS but also had disabled GPS and location services for one of the tests we have done.

cguella

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site

GPS location services off. Radio back on. Wi-Fi off. Same result and symptoms. Over 100 degrees. 40 percent per hour discharge rate.

Attachments

• 82750.jpg
    82750.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 64

dlcpa

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
More interesting news. I took the exchange email off and in the last 2 hours about 4% of the battery it says I have 44 hours left on standby and the phone is cool. What's interesting about this is, I don't have any problems on the G pad 8 what is a Microsoft account. So I'm wondering if there's a certain way to set this up, meaning the live.com account, without making it a whole Megillah that causes constant access. The other device doesn't get warm, doesn't lose battery life and gets the same emails as the phone. And it had the same access to the same contacts as the phone had. I did take off the contacts from outlook.com but I don't know that I had to. Not a big deal it didn't have categories anyway.

So, can anybody figure out what the best procedure is to set up alive.com Microsoft account on the phone. I do have and Excel apps but I also had that on the Gpad.

Piggy winks

Apr 25, 2015
Visit site
A phone is wth one part like a human it gotta have breathing space! Putting it into a plastic bag is basically killing it, it will overheat like crazy and when a phone any Phone is overheating it drops crazy crazy fast the battery life, and everything you described here is very normal and every phone you will do this even it will be just 2 seconds old it will happen the same exact thing! You were chocking your phone! Simple!

Posted via the Android Central App on my LG V10

Sorry,

I live in Florida and I'm too cheap to buy a waterproof bag. That said, each time I go to the beach, I've always put my phones in a ziplock sandwich bag without issue. I will wrap it in my shirt to keep it somewhat in the shade, or in a bag under our umbrella if we have it setup. There has never been any adverse issues, nor overheating with any of the phones or times.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
As someone gas said go to settings, about phone, update center and see what lg updates are available. You could be running an old version of exchange sync that is killing your battery. If you truly need exchange and this phone just won't work with it your best bet may be to exchange it for something else or wait for an update. I use the outlook app. Maybe that could help with exchange contact sync issues.

dlcpa

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Look at this without Exchange Services after I took off the Live.com acct. Six hours plus and it stayed on 100%. So how does this get fixed with MS Exchange and why does it not happen with the GPad which has the live.com acct?

Attachments

• 15086.jpg
    15086.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 52

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Look at this without Exchange Services after I took off the Live.com acct. Six hours plus and it stayed on 100%. So how does this get fixed with MS Exchange and why does it not happen with the GPad which has the live.com acct?

Sync issues happen sometimes. You could try adding it back and see how it goes. At least now you know what the problem was.

I have 2 Hotmail accounts setup with exchange services (that setup requires an apk you can get on the web) but using the Gmail app. I tried using the Outlook app but had far too many issues with it.

dlcpa

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Very very very good news, there is a fix for the exchange accounts. I got onto tech support at LG and they sent me a link that had the way to fix it unfortunately it didn't have the whole fix. So I called them and they gave me the second part of it but they couldn't provide a link or something I could copy and paste.

first part you have to set up account as an IMAP account through the email add account. Not the Microsoft Exchange don't pick that. Then when you select I forgot with the selections were but you have to select instead of Microsoft Exchange when you get a choice you get Microsoft Exchange IMAP and POP 3 select IMAP again not Microsoft Exchange. Obviously it must be a manual setup.

Then in the incoming settings you have to put in IMAP-mail. Outlook.com. select SSL for security and I believe the ports were correct once you select the SSL.

They said an upgrade is coming through but if you're having a problem this works now.

For outgoing, you have to change the server to SMTP-mail. Outlook.com. . For security you have to select TLS (accept all certifications) or something like that and again the correct port will come in and that's basically it.

I did it and it work fine and the phone is as cool as a cucumber. And the email came right up. Isn't that something. What's strange about this is that it's a fix also for the g4, The Lancet, and something else I can't read, VK 815 I don't know what that is.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Very very very good news, there is a fix for the exchange accounts. I got onto tech support at LG and they sent me a link that had the way to fix it unfortunately it didn't have the whole fix. So I called them and they gave me the second part of it but they couldn't provide a link or something I could copy and paste.

first part you have to set up account as an IMAP account through the email add account. Not the Microsoft Exchange don't pick that. Then when you select I forgot with the selections were but you have to select instead of Microsoft Exchange when you get a choice you get Microsoft Exchange IMAP and POP 3 select IMAP again not Microsoft Exchange. Obviously it must be a manual setup.

Then in the incoming settings you have to put in IMAP-mail. Outlook.com. select SSL for security and I believe the ports were correct once you select the SSL.

They said an upgrade is coming through but if you're having a problem this works now.

For outgoing, you have to change the server to SMTP-mail. Outlook.com. . For security you have to select TLS (accept all certifications) or something like that and again the correct port will come in and that's basically it.

I did it and it work fine and the phone is as cool as a cucumber. And the email came right up. Isn't that something. What's strange about this is that it's a fix also for the g4, The Lancet, and something else I can't read, VK 815 I don't know what that is.

That's not a fix, that's just another way to set up the email accounts. If it fits your needs doing it that way, then perfect.

As I said earlier, you can use exchange services with the Gmail app as well. I've been using it for quite a while and it works perfect.

dlcpa

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
How does that work? Do you make it Google recognized acct? Any experience with Google Apps For Business? For some things you need that to interface with Outlook.

It's a fix until they make it part of the OS. Fix or workaround. It did the trick for me and anyone who uses an Outlook or Hotmail acct.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
How does that work? Do you make it Google recognized acct? Any experience with Google Apps For Business? For some things you need that to interface with Outlook.

It's a fix until they make it part of the OS. Fix or workaround. It did the trick for me and anyone who uses an Outlook or Hotmail acct.

In the Gmail app you can add other email accounts (yahoo, Outlook, Hotmail, etc) so that everything is in one app, as long as you like the Gmail app I suppose.

By default, you can add those as IMAP or POP. However, you can also download and install exchange services ( http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/exchange-services/), install the apk, and once it's installed when you go back in to add accounts in Gmail you get the option to add an exchange account.

Select that option, run thru the setup and good to go. What I like about doing it this way is the email gets pushed just like Gmail. When you set as POP account, you have to select an interval (5 minutes, 10 minutes, etc). I prefer to get my email immediately.

cguella

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
UPDATE on the apparent radio/battery-overheating issue. I gave up chasing the source of the issue and did a factory reset - and am now roaming like a champ with over est 14 hours of battery life and a nice cool CPU at 76 degrees F (Prior to reset 1.5 hours of battery and 105 degree CPU when using cellular radio). Battery drain and overheat issue is completely gone when radio, wifi, bluetooth, NFC all on now. Something must have been pounding the radio/CPU when radio was active. So whatever the cause seems to be different than the Exchange issue from the other contributor. I don't use Exchange. And on the reset I have limited the installed software to the basics for now bringing back one thing at a time.

Thanks to all for the feedback and help.
I'll post back if I learn anything more.

dlcpa

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Wouldn't you know it, I started to have trouble with getting the Outlook account (live.com is the same as Outlook.com) on my laptop and desktop too. I was missing emails. Whenever I set it up, it automatically went to the Hotmail Connection Manager. So, I did the same thing on the Windows computers that I did on the LG V10, did it manually, and now they are fine too. Microsoft must have changed something. I used the IMAP server. Here are the setup instructions summarized:

OUTLOOK.COM POP3 SERVERS
Incoming mail server pop3.live.com
Incoming mail server port 995 (SSL required)
Outgoing (SMTP) mail server smtp.live.com
Outgoing (SMTP) mail server port 587 (SSL/TLS required)
Outgoing server (SMTP) authentication yes, same settings as my incoming mail server

OUTLOOK.COM IMAP SERVERS
Incoming mail server imap-mail.outlook.com
Incoming mail server port 993 (SSL required)
Outgoing (SMTP) mail server smtp-mail.outlook.com
Outgoing (SMTP) mail server port 587 (SSL/TLS required) I used TLS, as per LG
Outgoing server (SMTP) authentication yes, same settings as my incoming mail server

dlcpa

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
I had a similar issue with exchange services. It ended up being an LG update that fixed it. LG has their own exchange services app that is updated via about phone /update center /apps.

Really they never told be about that. They said whenever AT&T gets around to it.

DFM725

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Ok. New feature. Roaming in Canada on T-mobile LG V10. Awesome reception. Great speeds. All good. Except the phone is going to 110 degrees and discharging in 2-3 hours and won't charge well. Too hot. Turn off radio use Wi-Fi or airplane mode back to normal 90 degrees and long life. The radio and roaming is crushing the battery and overheating the phone. Any ideas?

Reset your phone to factory default settings. If it isn't a hardware issue, it'll be fixed. Only reinstall apps you absolutely trust and need, process of elimination what is causing it. I had horrible battery drain in my Nexus 6, factory defaults, it improved.

dlcpa

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Yesterday was the first time I needed the 4g radio for GPS. It does. draw lots of power and didn't keep up with the phone charger. I went from 85% to 78% on a 1/2 hour trip with the phone plugged in to the car charger. W/out the charger it might have gone down to. 65%, a lot for a half hour trip. At least we can have spare batteries.