is the wifi thing fixed on marshmallow?

RDI

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
My WiFi connects at 433Mbps on the 5Ghz Band. I'm using an AC1200 Wireless Gigabit Dual Band Router. The rest of my stuff connects @ 867Mbps on the 5Ghz Band (N-900). The 2.4GHz we connect @ N-300. My Router is connected to Verizon FIOS. While their local backbone is great, sometimes the Internet beyond seems very slow. My specialty is computer and networking Hardware Distributor since 1978. Mostly I am very happy with my AT&T LG V10.

Lefty Drummer

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
My WiFi connects at 433Mbps on the 5Ghz Band. I'm using an AC1200 Wireless Gigabit Dual Band Router. The rest of my stuff connects @ 867Mbps on the 5Ghz Band (N-900). The 2.4GHz we connect @ N-300. My Router is connected to Verizon FIOS. While their local backbone is great, sometimes the Internet beyond seems very slow. My specialty is computer and networking Hardware Distributor since 1978. Mostly I am very happy with my AT&T LG V10.

I'm on Fios as well. Anyway you can tell me relatively easily how to activate the 5ghz band? I'm not a noob, I do know how to access my router settings. Thanks in advance!

RDI

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
Only their "best" Router offers that option. Being I'm "in the business", I just took one off the shelf and told them that I was using my own Router. They could not charge me for a router or their own modem. Their tech service told them to run an Ethernet cable (Cat 5e or 6) from the same box they normally run the modem (round) cable from. But now they can't charge me for modem or Router. Installer logs in and turns on the direct Ethernet connection to my Router. My AC1200 Gigabit Wireless Routers run both 2.4 & 5GHz at the same time. My Adapters (PCI-E or USB) will run either but not both at the same time. For TV I put a 6-tuner PCI-E card in one of the home PCs and they "rent" me a card (size of a credit card) programed with what channels I can watch & record. I use Windows 7 Media Center. I control it with Apps (Android & iPhone). These recordings (std or HD) can be watched on any computer or smart TV on my wireless network. (Router costs between $ 100/std - to $ 150/USB 3.0) either is cheaper than FIOS most Deluxe unit.

SaintlySins

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
I'm the same as RDI ... I too run both 2.5 & 5 at the same time. Not because I want to, but because my house is a ranch, built with concrete walls in some places that divide sections of the house and although I have 3 WiFi extenders, and the 5.0 is significantly faster than 2.5, the 5.0 range is significantly less than the 2.5 and my phone is set up to jump from the 5.0 to the 2.5 whenever I'm in the farthest reaches of the house.
I agree that if you can use Cat 5 or 6 from the connection on the pole or utility box outside to an upgraded modem, (and WiFi Extenders), you'll have the best connection options available.

As for the phone itself ... I don't have ANY issues with the WiFi connection once IPv6 was disabled on the Modem. And don't take the Cable Companies word that they don't have that activated, we found that 2 of the 3 modems it was activated when we turned them on even though the Cable Guy and company said they were disabled.

No problems with WiFi reception at all with this formula.

Good luck.

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm the same as RDI ... I too run both 2.5 & 5 at the same time. Not because I want to, but because my house is a ranch, built with concrete walls in some places that divide sections of the house and although I have 3 WiFi extenders, and the 5.0 is significantly faster than 2.5, the 5.0 range is significantly less than the 2.5 and my phone is set up to jump from the 5.0 to the 2.5 whenever I'm in the farthest reaches of the house.
I agree that if you can use Cat 5 or 6 from the connection on the pole or utility box outside to an upgraded modem, (and WiFi Extenders), you'll have the best connection options available.

As for the phone itself ... I don't have ANY issues with the WiFi connection once IPv6 was disabled on the Modem. And don't take the Cable Companies word that they don't have that activated, we found that 2 of the 3 modems it was activated when we turned them on even though the Cable Guy and company said they were disabled.

No problems with WiFi reception at all with this formula.

Good luck.

But I'm on an xfinity X1 modem, HOW do i get into the modem to be sure that IPv6 is disabled??

Posted via the Android Central App

SaintlySins

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
I too have X-Finity - and I defer to my local Computer Genus at work to come to the house, log in through my computer, check it, find it, and turn it off. Because there are many different versions of modems from X-Finity, I suggest you find someone local who knows the unit(s) in your area and have them check and disable IPv6.

Good luck.

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I too have X-Finity - and I defer to my local Computer Genus at work to come to the house, log in through my computer, check it, find it, and turn it off. Because there are many different versions of modems from X-Finity, I suggest you find someone local who knows the unit(s) in your area and have them check and disable IPv6.

Good luck.

Thanks

Posted via the Android Central App