LG V10 Bootloop

thebear

May 31, 2011
Visit site
Mine went out to LG on Friday. I fought with them all week and eventually gave up. It's not that this will be a huge amount to fix. The cost is relatively low. It's that they know this is an issue and won't stand up and do the right thing. I went and looked at other phones, trying to decide on getting g something new and walking away from LG. I like too many of the good features LG has. Not sure I like any of the other phones out there right now, not even the V20. Why did they abandon the back buttons design? It made them unique and it's something I've grown to like a lot.
Fyi, I read the other day that a class action lawsuit was being filed against lg regarding this bootloop problem.

jbraft

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
Happened to me last week. Got it to reboot once, then half way, then logo and nothing else. Fortunately I kept all of my files and pics on the SD card. Got mine in November of 2015, so it was beyond the one year warranty. Checked with LG and they have extended the warranty 3 months, but that was from the build date, not purchase date....missed it by three weeks, thanks for nothing. I do have it under a Square Trade 3 yr warranty, and they have it now. Sent it out late last week, they received it yesterday and looked at it and approved the repair today. Should get it back next week...I hope. Hopefully it will be in good working order and just have to worry about settings and apps. Will probably be the last LG I own, and the last "flagship" I get. Too much money for something that seem just as reliable, or not, as a phone that would cost half as much.... There is no excuse.

Got my V10 back from SquareTrade in less than a week. I had mentioned to them that I also had the screen burn / retention issue some have reported, but the main focus of the claim was on the bootloop. The day after I got it back I called them again. They said it was mentioned, but was vaguely mentioned on their notes. They then approved a screen replacement at no additional cost to me, sent me a box, I sent it in and got it back again in under a week. I think they just put the guts into new screen and frame, it had tape on the side rails and black tape over the LG logo at the bottom. I added my one star review to the LG site, for what good it will do, and I'll keep an eye on that class action suit. I half expected getting it repaired would turn into a hassle based on stories I read and was preparing to pay it off and get the Moto Z Play deal Verizon had going on. I only stick with them because coverage and reception is better than the competition around here.

Crossing my fingers that it will last until it is paid off, which should be right in time for a Black Friday deal in November. A deal that will not be a LG.

askthiru

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
i got mine back on thursday evening. The phone works fine and the battery seems to last more than it used to before. I'm trying to get the repair cost through my chase freedom extended warranty. I do think it's the manufacturer issue that this seems to be happening to a lot of people around the 12-15th month after purchase. For a 700$ + phone, this is really unacceptable. This is my last LG phone. I got the LG G2 and LG V10 as my last two phones. My wife got the S4 and S6 edge plus at the same time and her usage is almost the same usage as mine.. She never ran into any of these hardware issues that i've had.

mstraw9379

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Well, LG received my V10 on 2/15. I paid for the repairs the next day. Since then it has said it will take 6 days. They have had my phone for over a week now and it hasn't moved from the 6 day estimate in all that time.

MannyB

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I purchased my LG V10 in October 2015. Bootloop problem popped late January this year. So I was well out of warranty. I got a LG K10 in the mean time. I shipped it to be repaired last week. Got my V10 back this week. Although the repair cost sucks, I'm happy to be back to my V10 after using the lower tier phone a few weeks. Not ready to give up on LG yet. I used Samsung for years, but came to LG mostly for the replaceable battery and expandable memory.

blueeyebrat

Feb 25, 2017
Visit site
Hi. So I am not as lucky as you. I did not back up my pictures or anything. i just didn't know how. So can you tell me exactly how to back up my data if I can get my phone to turn on in my freezer? I am sick thinking about the pictures I may have lost. thank-you for your response, help and knowledge of LG V10 back up to my SD card.

mstraw9379

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I paid for repair on the 17th. They called my wife on the 23rd to see if they had permission to repair the phone. What did they think the payment was for? A preset because I like them?

Silvereagle2015

Mar 12, 2017
Visit site
I had the boot loop issue with my wife's LG V10. We tried many things. To no avail. I heard that putting the phone in a cold environment could get it to boot up. I tried that and it worked for just a few minutes, then back to the loop. My wife called Verizon and luckily the phone is still under warranty. They will send us another (soon to loop) phone.

But all of my wife's pictures and videos are on the phone. While we were talking to the Verizon rep I hadn't noticed that the phone had been left on the couch under a blanket still on and looping. I felt the phone and it was hot. I took the battery out. The rep asked me to turn the phone on so she could try something. The phone was still hot but I put the battery back in. When I hit the power button it turned on like normal. After a minute or two it went back to looping. This gave me an idea. I took the battery out and put the phone near our wood stove. I let the phone heat up to about 110°f, stuck the battery in and powered it up. I left the phone close to the stove so as to keep it hot 110°f - 120°f. The phone booted up fine, I moved everything I could to the SD card, and blue toothed what I could out. It stayed on for about 45 minutes. When finished, I moved the phone away from the heat. As soon as the phone cooled down some, it went back to the loop.

This can buy you time to get stuff out of your device. But it's not a permanent fix.

Last edited:

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Your heating method is the exact opposite of the freezer technique that has been mentioned 100's of times on various forums as a temporary fix for bootloop.

What is LG charging to repair bootlooped V10's? Mine is fine but almost out of warranty.

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
Hey what are the repair costs going for?

On March 31st I went online to the LG website and filled out the request for warranty work due the the boot loop issues on my V10. I entered the IMEI and date that I bought it from T-Mobile of November 2, 2015, then it popped up a message that my phone was out of warranty and I could still send it in but would be notified of any costs. Oh well no pre-paid mailing label, but sent it in anyway. LG received it on Friday April 7th and on Saturday morning received an email from LG repair saying they were checking the V10 out, later on Saturday I received another email saying it was covered under warranty and no cost and would let me know when they will return ship it to me. On Tuesday April 11th, they completed repairs of replacing the motherboard and sent it back to me for free! LG isn't my favorite phone brand anymore, but at least the did me right and repaired an issue they know is a problem. BTW, my phone runs so much cooler when charging or using it heavy, battery life seems longer, too!

AndyLGV10

May 3, 2017
Visit site
My LG V10 died Feb 6th 2017 only 11 months after purchase. So i was covered under the manufacturer's warranty and they sent me a refurbished phone. It is only now May 3rd 2017 just 3 months later and this refurbished POS has just died as well. I am now outside the manufacturer's warranty because it is based off the purchase of the original phone. I have insurance but the deductible is $149.00, and i still owe $330 for the phone so i had to pay. I am not sure if i am getting another refurbished phone or a new one, but the email did say that it comes with a 12 month warranty. LG should be compensating consumers of this "LEMON".

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
My LG V10 died Feb 6th 2017 only 11 months after purchase. So i was covered under the manufacturer's warranty and they sent me a refurbished phone. It is only now May 3rd 2017 just 3 months later and this refurbished POS has just died as well. I am now outside the manufacturer's warranty because it is based off the purchase of the original phone. I have insurance but the deductible is $149.00, and i still owe $330 for the phone so i had to pay. I am not sure if i am getting another refurbished phone or a new one, but the email did say that it comes with a 12 month warranty. LG should be compensating consumers of this "LEMON".

That's why better to have your phone repaired via LG than your carrier. Some carriers replace with skanky regurb phones. T-Mobile tried to pull that on my. Luckily it was a software glitch (upgrade releated) so still using my origininal phone. Like others have said...Contact LG. This must be frustrating. Good luck.