No HD video playback in Amazon Video

bojo90

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I came from the Note 7 where I was enjoying 1080p playback in Amazon Video. I have all the app settings maxed out for video quality and can't get any show to play in full HD. Tried in Chrome browser on the phone and it points back to the app even in Desktop mode. Help would be appreciated.

irvine752

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I came from the Note 7 where I was enjoying 1080p playback in Amazon Video. I have all the app settings maxed out for video quality and can't get any show to play in full HD. Tried in Chrome browser on the phone and it points back to the app even in Desktop mode. Help would be appreciated.

Is there any reason as to why you're not using the native amazon video player? Amazon video typically comes with an xray imdb overlay just so with a quick tap on the screen you can see the cast & other pertinent stats. With anything less than Nougat you could bypass the option through android chrome, but now it's somwhat mandatory. Just like with any browser especially the mobile version, video playback with complicated overlays is very taxing & generally frowned upon.

If you do decide to play with the Amazon video app, please make sure you don't have any floating widgets enabled. Those don't work well with the overlay at all.

Last edited:

bojo90

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Actually have been using the Amazon Video app but nothing works in HD. Just tried Good Girls Revolt with no luck. Tried Wi-Fi and cellular and no luck. Also uninstalled and reinstalled the app. Have pics in thumbnails in the app that weren't there before but still no HD.

Last edited:

irvine752

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Netflix is the same way. Both companies use a "white list" system. Despite the fact that virtually every phone out there can play full 1080p HD streams, Netflix and Amazon will only allow "certified" phones to access those streams. The list of approved devices is quite limited and as you can imagine, it's only the top tier popular models. Basically, unless you got a new Galaxy branded phone, you'll be stuck at 480p.

jamesrick80

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Once you learn that Amazon loves to censor there movies...I will never go back to there video service again...it's crappie. Also, most people watch netflix and hulu on their tablet devices or smart tvs like myself.

irvine752

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Wow. Wonder why they would do that? Pretty disappointing. Thanks for the info.

I'm sure Amazon & Samsung struck a deal at some point. Amazon offers a full line of Kindle tablets & I'm sure they would hate to see you picking your android phone to use some of their full services especially without getting any monetary compensation. They would prefer for you to invest into a Kindle device to take advantage of all their best features & services. Keeping some of their best features from their competitors gives them a slight competitive edge.

bojo90

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Think you're right.. At least it plays in full HD on my 4k laptop. Hate being given second or third best. I order stuff using Amazon Prime like it was my job. That should count for something.

irvine752

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Think you're right.. At least it plays in full HD on my 4k laptop. Hate being given second or third best. I order stuff using Amazon Prime like it was my job. That should count for something.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. A 5.7 in screen is way too small to watch anything too long anyway. At least we can watch YouTube in full HD. Save the rest for larger screens.

bojo90

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I actually watch Netflix or Amazon on my phone almost nightly. I can and might switch to my laptop but still like using the phone for some reason. Hopefully Amazon will change their policy at some point.

X1tymez

Q&A Team
Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
I actually watch Netflix or Amazon on my phone almost nightly. I can and might switch to my laptop but still like using the phone for some reason. Hopefully Amazon will change their policy at some point.

Same here. Wonder why they haven't taken down Note 7, discontinued product.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress