LG V20 Signal and connection issues

Harleyman285

Sep 16, 2017
Visit site
I'm on T-Mobile. I just got the phone Friday night, and I've noticed the last two days I've gotten cut off while driving home around the same area both times. I haven't encountered a cell 'dead spot' in my town since the mid 2000's. It could be coincidence, but it makes me wonder lol

not a coincidence. I've found same thing. most people won't notice but in marginal areas where other phones work this comes up with no signal after call is disconnected

Harleyman285

Sep 16, 2017
Visit site
Has anyone else had any signal issues with the LG V20? I have been on AT&T for a long time and had MANY phones even quite a few recently and never had an issue. Since upgrading to the V20 I no longer can connect at all while at work. I rely on my phone for the camera and email functions at work but this is pretty much a paperweight while there. I have noticed this while out at a few restaurants also. I love this phone but obviously I need one I can use. I know its not the location because I have never had an issue in these places before. Just trying to find out if it is the V20 in general or if maybe it is just an issue with my device and need to exchange it. Thanks in advance for any feedback anyone can give me.

I have the same issue since update. I've tied everything. my phone is out to LG right now being flashed back to original release before any updates. I hope it works. I love this phone!

Harleyman285

Sep 16, 2017
Visit site
Omg, I'm sorry but I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one having issues. I'm on Verizon and I am now on my 5th warranty LG V20. Nothing that Verizon has done helps anything. I keep dropping calls, everyone thinks I'm hanging up on them. Ugh.

The insurance/warranty has told me that they don't think sending me another phone is going to solve the problem, seriously it took them 5 phones to reach this conclusion. Verizon said there's nothing else they can do that the problem is my device. I'm stuck in the middle with a phone that doesn't work. I have to get this resolved.

Verizon gave me a a loaner phone while mines at LG being reflashed to original release. I got this phone when it first came out and never had problems till the update. I went through 3 replacement phones too

Harleyman285

Sep 16, 2017
Visit site
Hi all. I've been following this closely as I bought an unlocked Verizon phone and I'm using it in Canada. I love this phone, but I don't want to deal with the poor signal issue that everyone else is having.

On my verizon phone, since they locked it down so much, I have no way to change the band. If anyone know how, it would be much appreciated.

But I decided to tear apart my phone, just to look around. I played around with the tin foil trick. (Using foil to boost the signal) Yesterday, I had a call come in and I had to go outside to finish the conversation. Today, I took the top "cap" off of my V20 and took a thick piece of tin foil and put it on some of the connectors and waited. Surprisingly, on one set of them, I was able to get an extra bar (2 bars) and was able to make a phone call with no issues. I looked inside the cap and noticed something interesting: where all the other contacts on the mainboard of the phone make contact with the cap, there is a metal contact in the cap. The contact where I put the tin foil, it's just plastic in the cap with no metal contact.

Being in a basement apartment, I don't expect 5 bars, but the fact I could get an extra bar with a piece of tin foil was very interesting. Would anyone have any insight as to the physical components of the phone?

Edit: I should also mention, when playing around with the tin foil, sometimes it would shoot up to full bars, then go back down to one.

did you take a pic of this? where you put tin foil? I've asked about modifying the antenna but from what I understand it's part of the charging port

TNCattleDog

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
If you haven't tried it already, turn off wifi calling. It makes a HUGE difference in call quality without it on. If you need it, you can always go back and turn it on.

Try it.

David

tallmat

Sep 28, 2017
Visit site
Purchased LG V20 phone from Ebay retailer, X-Channel, delivered to Toronto region in September 2017. First Nano sim card, purchased at Canada Computers, for Chattr wireless had inconsistent service. It had a strong connection for 8 hours and then it would connect to a tower for a second or two, then disconnect and cycle through this getting worse with less connections and more searching. It did this non-stop. I replaced the Nano sim.

Second Nano sim. Connection issues continued but not constantly as before. Every time I start the phone it connects and disconnects about 10-15 times, before it appears to lock on to a tower. This takes about 5-10 minutes and wears down my battery. When I'm on the move, it also connects to multiple towers connecting and disconnecting, just over a journey of 5 kilometers in one small city- Brampton. It seems to keep the connection almost all the time, but suddenly I find myself disconnected for no apparent reason. It's random, every day or two I find myself suddenly disconnected. Travelling with it, has it constantly connecting and disconnecting to towers.

I used a program to diagnose my problems, one called "Net Monitor Lite". This allowed me to see more of what was going on when it connected and disconnected, and how long these events lasted. There has already been one or two occasions when I go to my phone and see that it is disconnected from my network carrier, Chatr, for no apparent reason. Then I flash the phone on and off and its back. One of these events, just last night, I noticed it managed to chomp through 65% of my battery on my new phone overnight and it was disconnected by morning.

It is really the INCONSISTENCY that has me dumbfounded. I have all the wifi settings off, cleared the program caches numerous times, carefully and selectively erased the original At&T programs, and have returned it to factory settings- the symptoms remain stubbornly the same over several days of use. I have my wi-fi calling turned off, wi-fi is often off, I have the "My places" programs turned off, and most google programs are blocked from location, but I have location services on.

The single most suspicious information that I have about this issue is concerning the write-up from Qualcomm itself about the program that connects to the towers. I really don't know what I'm reading, because I'm not that much of a techie, but I suspect that there's some disconnection/re connection because the phone is programmed to find the best internet connection available among several towers, and several connections available on each tower, and this is analyzed against WiFi info as well- which means it does behave slightly differently with data when WiFi and cell connected, or not. I don't think we can turn search off for the 'best signal', which can leave our phone eventually disconnected and battery drained.

tallmat

Sep 28, 2017
Visit site
(*the spam detection on this site is ridiculous so I've had to break up my post and remove web links, and can only leave the titles of these articles)

Look for an article called "snapdragon-820-countdown-breakthrough-lte-and-wi-fi-x12-lte-modem"

Find another one called "qualcomms-cne-bringing-smarts-3g4g-wi-fi-seamless-interworking"

Last edited:

moe956

Oct 5, 2017
Visit site
hello i just got a verizon unlocked lg v20 (vs995) and im having trouble trying to get ATT 4g LTE to work correctly.

i have these on my tmobile LGv10 with the same ATT sim card , and the 4G LTE works perfect on the V10

(the site wont let me post the APN setting, it marks it as spam)

ive also tried tried both Network modes (Global and LTE/GSM/UMTS) but nothing has worked.

my only other question would be if i root it and install the stock ATT rom will it be better or worse?

tallmat

Sep 28, 2017
Visit site
Freedom mobile and Chatr failed to work on Lg V20 h910 at&t unlocked phone. If you have to use only Gsm expect a lot of connection drops from cell towers. Rogers did work om this phone but connection drops still happens a couple of times a week. So if you can afford the Rogers service getting a discounted h910 at&t phone from an asian seller could work! Make sure your on an Lte band rather than depending on Gsm. I think qualcomm and this phones software is not quite configured right as gsm constantly has problems with apparently any local toronto provider.

GhostOb1

Oct 31, 2017
Visit site
With so many of us having similar problems, one would think LG would address it. My issue is signal strength. Not being a gearhead, I would like to confirm my understanding on the signal.

So the phones all have bars but I heard they are not reliable. Instead, the real measure of signal is dBM. Sources say that -100 dBM is the lowest strength to have reliable service. Anyone hear differently?

My signal on my V20 is typically -105 to -112 no matter where I am. So if my understanding is correct, it seems the reception is close to zero which is consistent with dropped calls and garbled calls.

Comments? At&T said their tower is fine. (Of course, blame the phone mfrgr)

Greedog

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
So I spent a bit of time on the phone with Verizon the other night and they had me do a "network reset" which seems to have helped my connectivity and call quality issues so far. I have made several calls from home during which I could hear the caller fine and they could hear me. I have also made several calls over my cars handsfree bluetooth connection which sounded better as well. So, we will wait and see how things go.

For those interested: Settings>backup and reset>Network settings reset. Once finished, shut down the phone (do not restart) Wait ten minutes, then turn the phone back on.

You will have to re-enter all your wifi passwords and reconnect any bluetooth devices, but after that, all should be well.

David

I'm a new V20 owner and have been plagued with the same connection issues whereas my G5 was awesome. I tried your reset network procedure and although I'm now getting way more bars it still drops the connection. However, it seems somewhat less than before.
I'll keep you posted.

Love the phone though.

Greedog

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
I'm a new V20 owner and have been plagued with the same connection issues whereas my G5 was awesome. I tried your reset network procedure and although I'm now getting way more bars it still drops the connection. However, it seems somewhat less than before.
I'll keep you posted.

Love the phone though.

After much inquiry I found the connection answer for me.

I Googled VPN settings for Fido. I entered the settings and everything connects great now.

Give it a try.

I also bought my V20 from a third party seller. I live in Canada. The phone is an AT&T phone from the US. Unlocked of course.

My phone would not stay connected. I had to reboot every two hours. I couldn't send or receive MMS messages at all.

It's all good now. So relieved.