V20 Roll Call.... Who is still with me and this fabulous piece of equipment?

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
The main camera on the V20 is f1.8, so not really much of a leap there and I doubt the one on the V30 will contribute much to better low light abilities. The V20 also already uses a glass lens, as obviously demonstrated by "shattergate." Improvements to the wide angle lens may be better, as it's newer technology and thus more open to improvements.

The V20 is still one of the best cameras around in smartphones. The V30 may offer some marginal refinements, but I doubt it'll be a huge leap.

You're confusing the glass cover of the lens protector, not the actual glass of the camera lens itself. 25% more light is a big jump.

Here is the press release from LG two days ago.

LG V30 To Feature Largest Aperture And Clearest Lens Ever In Its Smartphone Lineup

ENGLEWOOD CLIFFS, N.J., Aug. 10, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- LG Electronics (LG) will incorporate an F1.6 aperture camera and an actual glass lens element in the dual camera of its upcoming V30 flagship smartphone, ushering in a new level of photographic innovation for smartphones.

Excellence in smartphone cameras has long been a core competency of LG and the dual camera module in the upcoming LG V30 will include the largest aperture and clearest lens ever among existing LG smartphones. LG's first F1.6 lens delivers 25 percent more light to the sensor compared to an F1.8 lens. The glass Crystal Clear Lens also offers greater light-collecting ability than a plastic lens as well as better color reproduction.

"LG boasts an unrivaled heritage in smartphone photography and we decided to adopt a glass lens in the V30 camera, as glass has traditionally been the realm of professional DSLR cameras," said Juno Cho, president of LG Electronics Mobile Communications Company. "This innovation is particularly significant for photo and video-savvy users of the V-series."

In all areas, the LG V30 camera is superior to that of its predecessor. The V30 minimizes edge distortion compared to the V20 when capturing wide angle shots, making it ideal for group selfies, spacious interiors and expansive landscapes.

The upgraded rear camera module of the LG V30 still manages to remain slender, boasting a 30 percent smaller size compared to the V20. Paired with LG's specialized UX featuring laser detection AF, optical image stabilization and electronic image stabilization, shutterbugs will find the V30 as easy and convenient to use as its predecessor.

LG-V30-Camera-Aperture.jpg

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
You're confusing the glass cover of the lens protector, not the actual glass of the camera lens itself. 25% more light is a big jump.

Here is the press release from LG two days ago.

LG V30 To Feature Largest Aperture And Clearest Lens Ever In Its Smartphone Lineup

ENGLEWOOD CLIFFS, N.J., Aug. 10, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- LG Electronics (LG) will incorporate an F1.6 aperture camera and an actual glass lens element in the dual camera of its upcoming V30 flagship smartphone, ushering in a new level of photographic innovation for smartphones.

Excellence in smartphone cameras has long been a core competency of LG and the dual camera module in the upcoming LG V30 will include the largest aperture and clearest lens ever among existing LG smartphones. LG's first F1.6 lens delivers 25 percent more light to the sensor compared to an F1.8 lens. The glass Crystal Clear Lens also offers greater light-collecting ability than a plastic lens as well as better color reproduction.

"LG boasts an unrivaled heritage in smartphone photography and we decided to adopt a glass lens in the V30 camera, as glass has traditionally been the realm of professional DSLR cameras," said Juno Cho, president of LG Electronics Mobile Communications Company. "This innovation is particularly significant for photo and video-savvy users of the V-series."

In all areas, the LG V30 camera is superior to that of its predecessor. The V30 minimizes edge distortion compared to the V20 when capturing wide angle shots, making it ideal for group selfies, spacious interiors and expansive landscapes.

The upgraded rear camera module of the LG V30 still manages to remain slender, boasting a 30 percent smaller size compared to the V20. Paired with LG's specialized UX featuring laser detection AF, optical image stabilization and electronic image stabilization, shutterbugs will find the V30 as easy and convenient to use as its predecessor.

View attachment 265630

I see what you're saying, but where does it say no one else uses glass.
Also being made of glass alone doesn't always make it better than plastic or polycarbonate.

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
I see what you're saying, but where does it say no one else uses glass.
Also being made of glass alone doesn't always make it better than plastic or polycarbonate.

I read it one of the articles that I cant seem to find now. But essentially the lenses on tiny lenses like this are plastic due to the production difficulties.

I don't think plastic lens have ever outperformed glass as far as clarity and less distortion on edges goes. Pretty sure nobody makes a DLSR lens of plastic. In sunglasses, there is a big difference in clarity and distortion from poly to glass as well.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I read it one of the articles that I cant seem to find now. But essentially the lenses on tiny lenses like this are plastic due to the production difficulties.

I don't think plastic lens have ever outperformed glass as far as clarity and less distortion on edges goes. Pretty sure nobody makes a DLSR lens of plastic. In sunglasses, there is a big difference in clarity and distortion from poly to glass as well.

They do make some internal lenses in DSLRs out of plastic. I'm not saying plastic is as good as glass but its better than bad glass.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I didn't find any direct comparisons, but I did run across this article.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ad...ear/photo/50mm-lens-shoot-out-f18-or-f14/?amp

It compares f1.8 to f1.4 DSLR lenses and mentions several downsides of the wider aperture. While maybe not 100% translatable to smartphones, it does make me wonder if any of those concerns start to show up in the V30. It'll also have a narrower depth of field, which can be good or bad depending on your use.

I'm still not getting one, though, for other reasons and loss of features.

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Here are some more tidbits from LG's social blog. I'm also looking forward to the 13mp wide angle lens vs the 8mp V20 lens.

Translated from Korean using my browser, so some of this might come out right. LG V30, F1.6 렌즈로 더 밝고 선명하게 찍는다 | Social LG전자

LG Electronics will adopt next-generation dual-camera, which is brighter and clearer, by applying aperture value of F1.6, which is the highest level of smart phone, and glass lens to 'LG V30', the next strategic premium smartphone.

The standard lens of the LG V30 rear dual camera has achieved a bright aperture of F1.6, the highest level of smartphone cameras ever. This is about 25% brighter than the F1.8 standard lens of the previous V20.

The lower the F value [1] of the camera lens is, the larger the aperture is opened and the more light can be received. Therefore, the LG V30's F1.6 camera can capture brighter and more vibrant photos and images than ever before.

In addition, the LG V30 is equipped with a glass clear lens (Crystal Clear Lens) for the first lens that directly accepts light among the six lenses that make up the rear standard lens in order to achieve optimal color and texture with the bright aperture value of F1.6 Crystal Clear Lens'.

The glass lens has a higher visible light transmittance than conventional plastic lenses, making it possible to capture the detail of the subject more clearly, and more accurate color and realistic texture can be expressed, which is mainly used in high-end camera lenses such as DSLR.

The LG V30 also upgraded the rear wide-angle camera, which is widely used when shooting wide-angle scenery or group photographs. The LG V30's low-distortion wide-angle camera adopts its own lens design technology and significantly improves edge distortion to 1/3 of the previous V20, making it possible to shoot more realistically.

It is also advantageous in that you can take a group photo without a self-stick, with a wide-angle camera on the front like in previous works.

Meanwhile, the LG V30 is a small module with a standard image size of 16 million pixels and a wide angle of 13 million pixels, reducing the contrast ratio by 30%. It has all of the features that allow you to shoot fast and steadily without jitter such as OIS, Optical Image Stabilization (EIS), Electronic Image Stabilization (EIS) and Laser Auto Focus.

"LG V30 is equipped with the next generation dual camera that combines the best performance and usability," said Cho Jun-ho, president of LG's MC business division. "We will provide a new experience to easily shoot professional-quality images and images on smartphones." said.

Quiet a bold statement there at the end!

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I didn't find any direct comparisons, but I did run across this article.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ad...ear/photo/50mm-lens-shoot-out-f18-or-f14/?amp

It compares f1.8 to f1.4 DSLR lenses and mentions several downsides of the wider aperture. While maybe not 100% translatable to smartphones, it does make me wonder if any of those concerns start to show up in the V30. It'll also have a narrower depth of field, which can be good or bad depending on your use.

I'm still not getting one, though, for other reasons and loss of features.

The depth of field in the numbers we're talking about are minimal and have no noticeable effect

gustav30

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Could depend on what sensor they end up going with as I think that will play a big factor. I think LG had done a great job with the small 1.1 micron pixel size they have been using but they could really squeeze a lot more light if they jumped on what Google, HTC and Samsung have done by ditching the 1.1 micron size and going for a bigger pixel like 1.4.
I'd translate that into a smaller exposure window in lowlight shots which could lead to less blurry photos.
But not saying what LG has been doing is bad as I get great lowlight shots with my V20.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Could depend on what sensor they end up going with as I think that will play a big factor. I think LG had done a great job with the small 1.1 micron pixel size they have been using but they could really squeeze a lot more light if they jumped on what Google, HTC and Samsung have done by ditching the 1.1 micron size and going for a bigger pixel like 1.4.
I'd translate that into a smaller exposure window in lowlight shots which could lead to less blurry photos.
But not saying what LG has been doing is bad as I get great lowlight shots with my V20.

No complaints here

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
I just downloaded the Google Camera software with HDR+. Someone just cracked it two days ago that you can install in any phone with our chipset. HDR+ much improved over standard HDR in just a few test shots I did here around the house. Of course thats just auto settings vs auto settings, but still had me impressed vs the LG software.

The photos are less "over exposed" if that make sense, particularly if there is a lamp or light source in the background.

https://www.xda-developers.com/google-camera-hdr-ported/

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I just downloaded the Google Camera software with HDR+. Someone just cracked it two days ago that you can install in any phone with our chipset. HDR+ much improved over standard HDR in just a few test shots I did here around the house. Of course thats just auto settings vs auto settings, but still had me impressed vs the LG software.

The photos are less "over exposed" if that make sense, particularly if there is a lamp or light source in the background.

I'll have to check that out. Thanks! 😊

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

You lose the wide angle camera