LG V20 battery draining even after factory reset

leekyuh

Aug 7, 2017
Visit site
Hi, I have V20 64 GB dual sim version and the battery drains hugely even after factory reset.

Since my phone was suffering from frequent "Power supply. Tab to change USB options" notification, where it believes there's a phantom USB device connected to the phone and drains battery a lot, I did a factory reset and installed only minimal messaging apps that I know they worked fine before the battery drain issue. I am still experiencing a huge battery drain although I'm not seeing the annoying "Power supply" notification any more.

I monitored 4 hours using Wake Lock Detector (WLD) and GSam Battery Monitor with airplane mode ON.

In GSam, it shows 80% Held Awake (3% Screen and 17% App usage), 1h12m light doze, 2h39m deep doze. In App Sucker, Kernel (10.1%) and Android System (4.9%) were the top two in terms of battery consumption. See:

Screenshot_2017-08-07-04-32-25.jpg Screenshot_2017-08-07-04-33-06.jpg
Screenshot_2017-08-07-04-35-38.jpg Screenshot_2017-08-07-04-35-56.jpg

WLD results:
Screenshot_2017-08-07-04-37-47.jpg Screenshot_2017-08-07-04-38-03.jpg
lge_charging_wake_lock is the only Kernel wakelock, is it normal?

On V20 battery menu, the battery reduced from 57% to 17% in ~4 hours and Phone idle (11%) and Android OS (6%) consumed way more than Screen (3%).
Screenshot_2017-08-07-04-38-49.jpg

Do you see anything abnormal? Is there any other test I should do?
I really hope it's not a hardware issue. Please help. Thanks

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I am having the same notification, and battery drain, I also had several days where data just stopped working altogether. My replacement phone is scheduled to arrive today. Hopefully it doesn't develop the same problem.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
• Give the phone 2-3 weeks or longer after a new factory reset for the Nougat software to recognize your usage habits and optimize battery performance. In my experience, I've gotten better performance after using it for a month.

• Check your mobile data settings and make sure it's set to the correct sever/APN, etc. and settings are optimal. When the phone is constantly searching for signal, it'll killing the battery too.

• Do not use battery monitoring apps. They will constantly check apps and it'll eat up battery life. Just check the battery usage on the settings.

• Considering buying another battery. Make sure you get a BRAND NEW and AUTHENTIC LG battery. They still sell the battery kit on Amazon. Refurbished and overstock batteries are sold on eBay from liquidators.

• Turn on data saver mode to prevent apps to run in the background and use data.

• Turn off sync when you're not using it.

• Uninstall and disable useless apps like Google+, Google Hangouts, etc., they are constantly running in the background, which goes to my next suggestion:

• Install the Greenify app and hibernate apps that you are not currently using or that you don't use often. Warning though, you won't get notifications from those apps until you open it again. Some apps will constantly run regardless of what you do (FB messenger & Instagram for example). Pro tip: ONLY use manual hibernation and turn off automatic hibernation for best battery performance. Also only hibernate apps you RARELY use. Hibernate every once in a while. I have the widget shortcut on my homescreen.

• Install the ForceDoze app. Follow the instructions on the app to enable it (requires you to turn on USB debugging, connecting your phone to the PC, and typing in a few commands on command prompt). ForceDoze will force the phone to go into Android's doze mode immediately instead of after 30 minutes or so for maximum battery performance.

• Instead of Facebook and FB Messenger, consider using an app called Metal or Folio. It's a web based Facebook app that also includes FB messaging built in. You can actually log out when you're finished. Disable notifications on that app for best results.

• You don't gotta be connected to social media 24/7, also log off Snapchat and Instagram when you're done, otherwise they'll keep running in the background.

• Turn off WiFi when you're done using it.

• If all else fails, turn on Airplane Mode and use it on WiFi. Turn it off when you want to check for missed messages and calls.

My V20 gets at least a minimum of 4 hours to 6 hours of screen on time. My battery usually lasts all day with light to moderate usage. I don't use battery saving mode and I keep the AOD on. I have 4 spare batteries. Refurbished and overstock batteries are being sold on eBay. Make sure they are a USA seller and ask questions to make sure they are authentic batteries. I only swap batteries once a day, sometimes two times for heavy usage. The V20 has the most reliable and consistent battery I've ever used in any smartphone.

Last edited:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
• Give the phone 2-3 weeks or longer after a new factory reset for the Nougat software to recognize your usage habits and optimize battery performance. In my experience, I've gotten better performance after using it for a month.

• Check your mobile data settings and make sure it's set to the correct sever/APN, etc. and settings are optimal. When the phone is constantly searching for signal, it'll kill the battery too.

• Do not use battery monitoring apps. They will constantly check apps and it'll eat up battery life. Just check the battery usage on the settings.

• Considering buying another battery. Make sure you get a BRAND NEW and AUTHENTIC LG battery. They still sell the battery kit on Amazon. Refurbished and overstock batteries are sold on eBay from liquidators.

• Turn on data saver mode to prevent apps to run in the background and use data.

• Turn off sync when you're not using it.

• Uninstall and disable useless apps like Google+, Google Hangouts, etc., they are constantly running in the background, which goes to my next suggestion:

• Install the Greenify app and hibernate apps that you are not currently using or that you don't use often. Warning though, you won't get notifications from those apps until you open it again. Some apps will constantly run regardless of what you do (FB messenger & Instagram for example). Pro tip: ONLY use manual hibernation and turn off automatic hibernation for best battery performance. Also only hibernate apps you RARELY use. Hibernate every once in a while. I have the widget shortcut on my homescreen.

• Install the ForceDoze app. Follow the instructions on the app to enable it (requires you to turn on USB debugging, connecting your phone to the PC, and typing in a few commands on command prompt). ForceDoze will force the phone to go into Android's doze mode immediately instead of after 30 minutes or so for maximum battery performance.

• Instead of Facebook and FB Messenger, consider using an app called Metal or Folio. It's a web based Facebook app that also includes FB messaging built in. You can actually log out when you're finished. Disable notifications on that app for best results.

• You don't gotta be connected to social media 24/7, also log off Snapchat and Instagram when you're done, otherwise they'll keep running in the background.

• Turn off WiFi when you're done using it.

• If all else fails, turn on Airplane Mode and use it on WiFi. Turn it off when you want to check for missed messages and calls.

My V20 gets at least a minimum of 4 hours to 6 hours of screen on time. My battery usually lasts all day with light to moderate usage. I don't use battery saving mode and I keep the AOD on. I have 4 spare batteries. Refurbished and overstock batteries are being sold on eBay. Make sure they are a USA seller and ask questions to make sure they are authentic batteries. I only swap batteries once a day, sometimes two times for heavy usage. The V20 has the most reliable and consistent battery I've ever used in any smartphone.

I don't do anything.... I bought my phone to use it.

Last edited:

leekyuh

Aug 7, 2017
Visit site
Thanks @flyingkytez.

The above graphs and charts were already captured while airplane mode ON, no sync, no signals, no WiFi for 4 hours.

I also have two authentic LG batteries that I bought when I was in Korea LG center, and it drains fast on both batteries. I even disabled some bad default apps like Facebook after factory reset. I installed only very few 5-6 extra apps such as Whatsapp which I'm certain they were working fine before this battery drain problem started.

The only unusual behavior before all this problem started was that it was suddenly showing "Power supply. Tab to change USB options", even though nothing was connected. Can it be the fault in the USB connector of V20, making the system always awake thinking an OTG device is connected?

Unfortunately, this is a dual SIM model sold in Taiwan only, so all I can do is to fix the phone myself as no other LG centers out of Taiwan are "allowed" to fix it except the service center in Korea, an LG service representative told me. Very disappointing customer service. It will probably take at least two months if I send it to Korea or Taiwan center until I get it back repaired as I live in Europe.

leekyuh

Aug 7, 2017
Visit site
I asked my friend working in LG in Korea and he actually suggested me to not buy LG phones for now. They are still having serious quality control issues. They also don't have international warranty so I gave up.

However, I got OnePlus 5 128GB and can't be happier. Although battery is not replaceable, the phone easily lasts 2 days, which is definitely better than changing batteries twice a day. The internal storage read/write speed and camera fire-up time are also much, much faster. Good bye LG, I'll never go back to you.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I asked my friend working in LG in Korea and he actually suggested me to not buy LG phones for now. They are still having serious quality control issues. They also don't have international warranty so I gave up.

However, I got OnePlus 5 128GB and can't be happier. Although battery is not replaceable, the phone easily lasts 2 days, which is definitely better than changing batteries twice a day. The internal storage read/write speed and camera fire-up time are also much, much faster. Good bye LG, I'll never go back to you.

Enjoy the reversed flipped screen.

AtTheHop

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
My 1 year old V20 battery just started to drain quickly. From the beginnng I disabled everything I do not use and dimmed the screen to 50%. No bluetooth unless I am using it, no GPS unless I am using it and the battery was lasting a good 24 hours. Now it barely last 12 hours. I always had an external power pack but its old and thakes 36 hours to recharge so I order an Anker 26,800 pack and carrying case to be at my side. Plus I now have USB charging cables in both of our vehicles. Need to go another year before I can get a new phone on a Verizon promotion. Cannot complain since the V20 only cost me 299 outright.

muckrakerX

May 23, 2013
Visit site
My 1 year old V20 battery just started to drain quickly. From the beginnng I disabled everything I do not use and dimmed the screen to 50%. No bluetooth unless I am using it, no GPS unless I am using it and the battery was lasting a good 24 hours. Now it barely last 12 hours. I always had an external power pack but its old and thakes 36 hours to recharge so I order an Anker 26,800 pack and carrying case to be at my side. Plus I now have USB charging cables in both of our vehicles. Need to go another year before I can get a new phone on a Verizon promotion. Cannot complain since the V20 only cost me 299 outright.

Nothing wrong with having a battery pack (I have one for my wife's iPhone 7+), but if something is draining your battery, it will be best to fix the problem rather than just cover it up. Could you charge your phone to 100%, use it normally until the battery reaches about 25%,then post screen shots of your battery stats in this thread?

AtTheHop

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
Nothing wrong with having a battery pack (I have one for my wife's iPhone 7+), but if something is draining your battery, it will be best to fix the problem rather than just cover it up. Could you charge your phone to 100%, use it normally until the battery reaches about 25%,then post screen shots of your battery stats in this thread?

Sure, its charging now so sometime later today is a possibility.

AtTheHop

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
I am on Verizon, I have noticed my 4G is only 2 bars recently in my house when in the past it is usually full. Keep in mind I am on wifi whenever I am home or somewhere where I have setup to access their wifi like good friends and my childrens homes.

muckrakerX

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Wow. I'm impressed. By the way, since you have a Verizon phone, you can clear both the apps cache and the system cache, which should help, too.

AtTheHop

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
Wow. I'm impressed. By the way, since you have a Verizon phone, you can clear both the apps cache and the system cache, which should help, too.

Just cleared the cache, down to 40% lets see if if it makes it overnight. I will have my small power pack next to the phone.

AtTheHop

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
Here are my battery stats
BatteryUsage1.pngBatteryUsage2.png
Many thanks to flyingkytez for the Greenify app suggestion, it appears to save the battery. I went almost 21 hours before getting to 25%.

AtTheHop

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
Update, after installing Greenify and going through all the changes I wanted to make, keep in mind I had previously uninstalled all the apps I do not use or want and turned off as much as I can to extend battery life which gave me a full day plus before recharging every morning, it appeard Greenify has brought me back to a morning charge to get through he day. This morning as I place the phone on the charger I still had over 40% left.