When will the V20 update to Oreo?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have noticed the new operating system has been out for some time now. And I thought that the V20 was one of the more high end phones. Is the Android 8 not as necessary an update to 7? When would I see this update?

TNCattleDog

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Nothing is confirmed but there is speculation that it should be sometime early this year. Again, LG has not announced or confirmed this.

In all practicality, the V20 *should* get the update but it seems that LG is more concerned nowadays with selling new phones rather than supporting older phones for more than a year. So, we will see.

The V20 performs well just the way it is and I have used some phones with Oreo and really don't see anything that is groundbreaking that will make the V20 any better than it is. I'm happy with the steady flow of security updates (from Verizon) and hope that continues.

David

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The V20 performs well just the way it is and I have used some phones with Oreo and really don't see anything that is groundbreaking that will make the V20 any better than it is. I'm happy with the steady flow of security updates (from Verizon) and hope that continues.

David
This.

And on top of that, I dislike updates more often than not due to unwanted (and sometimes backwards) changes to how things work. Security updates are fine, but I'm rather apathetic about OS updates and things run great already on the V20. Just not something I think is worth getting thing up about.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
As someone who always runs a rooted phone, I have to agree about disliking updates too - but because of rooting. First because rooted phones don't get (and shouldn't be) updated and second because even if you flash the stock (unrooted) ROM back just to get the update, you have to wait until someone (or yourself if you can) finds a method to get that version to grant temporary root - or you can slog through https://androidforums.com/threads/guide-howto-build-your-own-aosp-rom.195756/ (if it's even relevant any more - if and when I upgrade to a newer phone, I might try it for the one that will be getting retired and see if it is).

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I have noticed the new operating system has been out for some time now. And I thought that the V20 was one of the more high end phones. Is the Android 8 not as necessary an update to 7? When would I see this update?

Thinking in terms of business, LG will reserve the Oreo OS for the LG G7 (or whatever new name it's going be called) so that they have a selling point. Maybe after 1 year after that, then we'll see updates.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Nothing is confirmed but there is speculation that it should be sometime early this year. Again, LG has not announced or confirmed this.

In all practicality, the V20 *should* get the update but it seems that LG is more concerned nowadays with selling new phones rather than supporting older phones for more than a year. So, we will see.

David

Exactly... Now with this whole planned obsolescence thing going on, many people are considering thinking twice before pressing that update button (iPhones and Samsung Note 4s). The V20 is speedy fast, I really don't know what else do you really want from Oreo, except some new UI look. Android 7.0 is really the best OS I've ever used, battery stand by is reliable and the phone rarely ever stutters or slow down.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Stock Android from the Essential or Pixel sucks because you can't change the UI theme. Gets boring. Oreo changed the theme to White so expect faster battery drain on AMOLED screens. Good thing LG and Samsung has themes.

Because you don't like something doesn't mean it sucks. Its just your opinion.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Well it does suck if you don't have customizable options.. especially if you don't like bright white themes..
The point is it sucks for you....not everyone. I don't think LG's UI sucks but if I did that would be my opinion and I would state as my opinion.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
The point is it sucks for you....not everyone. I don't think LG's UI sucks but if I did that would be my opinion and I would state as my opinion.

That's like the Waze app getting burned in easily because they refuse to give options to change the theme. Hopefully you don't get burn in. Anyway I guess less options and features appeal to some people, not me though. The ability to choose and customize is always better, why do you think people root their phones.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
That's like the Waze app getting burned in easily because they refuse to give options to change the theme. Hopefully you don't get burn in. Anyway I guess less options and features appeal to some people, not me though. The ability to choose and customize is always better, why do you think people root their phones.

No burn in and I sometimes use my navigation all day long

rdjr74

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Eventually apps won't support the software on the phone so if I can get as close to an apps support then I'm all for any update I can get.