No swappable battery, what's an alternative for quick charge

kal_el_5011

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I've got the v20, which I love. I know I'm eventually going to have to upgrade and that there will be no more option for swapping batteries. Is there an alternative to power charging that everyone is using?

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I've got the v20, which I love. I know I'm eventually going to have to upgrade and that there will be no more option for swapping batteries. Is there an alternative to power charging that everyone is using?

A small sized battery pack that fits in your pockets, with Quick Charge technology

AtTheHop

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
Blame all the people who want waterproof cellphones for all the manufacturer's need to not have phones with swappable batteries. Life goes on.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Blame all the people who want waterproof cellphones for all the manufacturer's need to not have phones with swappable batteries. Life goes on.
You can do water resistant (no phone is waterproof) with a removable battery. That may be part of it, but I think it's more a demand for paper thin phones and cheaper manufacturing contributing to this trend. If there were more profit in removable batteries, I can promise you all phones would still have them.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

I had a Motorola device that went sealed battery before water resistance was a thing so I don't think that's to blame totally. It's probably more because it gets people to upgrade quicker than.anything else.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I hated to do it but I made the switch. I have 3 things lol.

1. Quick charge powerbank

2. Wireless powerbank I just sit my phone on to wireless charge

3. Battery case.

For the last 10 years everything I had had a spare battery but here we are in 2018and people insisted on sealed phones.

datum9

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Samsung S8+ has this ZeroLemon device - they call it a battery but it's more of a powerbank that contains a battery inside a case. You insert the phone into the device and it actually makes it a lot easier to hold. Gives it some depth.

So when your battery runs low, just push the 'on' button and recharge it.

datum9

May 30, 2013
Visit site
You don't want to charge any battery fast. It damages it. Hits it with several amps of current. You want long slow charge overnight.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
You don't want to charge any battery fast. It damages it. Hits it with several amps of current. You want long slow charge overnight.
Unfortunately, this isn't always convenient. But I don't hardly plug my phone into charge it so yes it charges slowly.

kal_el_5011

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Samsung S8+ has this ZeroLemon device - they call it a battery but it's more of a powerbank that contains a battery inside a case. You insert the phone into the device and it actually makes it a lot easier to hold. Gives it some depth.

So when your battery runs low, just push the 'on' button and recharge it.
I need this for an lg v series device when I upgrade to the v30/40 player this year.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
A Li-ion battery can be charged at 1C without any appreciable degradation. 1C is charging at a rate equal to its capacity. So if it's a 3400mAh (3.4Ah) battery, you can charge at 3.4A fine. Some Li-ion battery technologies, like graphine, allow for higher charge rates. As the batteries fill, the phone throttles the charge on their own to finish off the charging.

The problem with overnight charging is the possibility of holding the battery over 80% charged. High charge states will cause accelerated wear on Li-ion's as well. If you want to charge overnight, I'd do what I saw another member suggest. Use an outlet timer and plug the charger into that, and set the timer to shut power off after a certain length of time. This puts a charge to the phone, but reduces the chance of dwelling at a high charge level.

cjreyes666

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
For removable batteries I went with the Z2 Force. The battery mods act like a extra battery and they are always on sale. I got an incipio battery for 10 back in November.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
For removable batteries I went with the Z2 Force. The battery mods act like a extra battery and they are always on sale. I got an incipio battery for 10 back in November.
What's the difference between adding a mod and popping your phone into a battery case? Same same.

tickerguy

Nov 4, 2016
Visit site
A Li-ion battery can be charged at 1C without any appreciable degradation. 1C is charging at a rate equal to its capacity. So if it's a 3400mAh (3.4Ah) battery, you can charge at 3.4A fine. Some Li-ion battery technologies, like graphine, allow for higher charge rates. As the batteries fill, the phone throttles the charge on their own to finish off the charging.

The problem with overnight charging is the possibility of holding the battery over 80% charged. High charge states will cause accelerated wear on Li-ion's as well. If you want to charge overnight, I'd do what I saw another member suggest. Use an outlet timer and plug the charger into that, and set the timer to shut power off after a certain length of time. This puts a charge to the phone, but reduces the chance of dwelling at a high charge level.

The real problem isn't so much with the >80% drive as it is with how that's done.

All the manufacturers overdrive the charge cycle once you get to the terminal voltage of the charge. What you're supposed to do is hold voltage constant and let current taper. None of them do; they all run voltage slightly over the proper terminal voltage, getting as close as they dare to the point where damage turns into fire risk.

Since you have no control over the charge controller in your device the only realistic defense is to use something like AccuBattery to warn you when you get to 80% and unplug it at that point. This means that you want a fast-charge capability so you can recover back to that 80% point quickly, because you now need to do it during the day when you can attend to it rather than charge overnight.

Incidentally I have a Lenovo laptop that does not overdrive the charge cycle; it in fact has "be nice" mode (which cuts off charge at 95%, but NOT overdriven) and "full" which goes all the way to 100%, but also not over-driven. I bought the unit in 2011 (X220.)

I've had to replace the battery exactly once in the seven years I've owned it, and the second one is still returning roughly 91% of its "as new" capacity. The original I replaced at just under 80% as it started to get annoying in runtime loss. It is often left "on charge" when not in use and that has done nothing bad to it -- it's simply a function of the charge controller not being programmed to be abusive in the name of faster charge times.

Greedog

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. I've had a G5 since launch. I have a spare battery that I hardly use. I leave it on the charger all night if I'm not using it as an alarm. I'm sure there's some battery degradation. But it's really not that noticeable. If it was I can always swap the battery out.
Now, I have a V20 and I treat it the same. No big deal.
The thing is, I think people forget that the charging technology built into the Snapdragon SoC's matched with a good quality charger takes care of those concerns. Besides...
THE BATTERY IS REPLACABLE!
Isn't that why we bought them? The time to be concerned about this is when we can no longer buy a phone with that option. Agreed! That may very well be the next phone but maybe, just maybe, if we all stick to our guns one of the manufacturers will realize this and give us a phone that has what we want.
We need to STOP BUYING PHONES THAT DON'T HAVE THAT OPTION.
I believe us G5 and V20 owners already realize this. Would I like a water/dust resistant phone? Sure. But I'd rather have what these two phones offer.
A lot of people need the protection from elements so they don't ruin the phone due to carelessness and have to buy another one. But.. They still are buying one sooner than us cuz THE BATTERY IS SEALED AND NO GOOD NOW!
To be completely honest, I like to upgrade my phone eventually anyway so... Before the battery wears out I may want a different one.
The thing is.. These two LG phones will suit me just fine for some time. I just got the V20 a little over a month ago.
One more thing...
I see phone technology on a plateau. The new stuff coming out is just gimicky bs. Useless curved screens. Bezel less. How do you hang onto it to watch stuff? Glass on both sides. (my first LG phone was all glass 5 years ago. With wireless charging.)

LG is where it's at, baby!