Sprint LG v20 still the best

Greedog

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
I have a V20 and one thing I hate is that they limit output for standard headphones. My Audio Technicas trigger the high output in noise cancelation mode but I still think using impedance to control output is silly. Impedance alone does not determine how much output a pair of ears needs to be driven. I use my Pixel 2XL with the Razer dongle and I get full output and great sound regardless of the ears. As for Bluetooth standards I prefer LDAC and I think I'm going up a set of Sony headphones.
Mike,
I'm pretty sure what you and I are discussing is not really related to the original post however interesting it may be.
Having said that, if you prefer LDAC codes over aptX or aptX HD I'll pretty much guarantee your wireless headphones don't support it anyway. That's why you like it better.
I'm a headphones freak due to being a musician. I have many different sets. And I'm telling you the wireless technologies have made it sound so good with the aptX it's almost useless to have wired cans nowadays. Sure, if we spend lots of money on a really high end pair you can still hear a big difference but I'm talking lots of money and I'm just not gonna do that. I'm not going to spend 5 to 10 times more money to get a 10% better sound. Been there. Done that.
You have brought up a good point though that I think I will start another thread to get some feedback for.
Thanks for sharing.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad you are still loving your V20! I too miss the phone days where my batteries were removable (my BlackBerry, my LG G3); but I guess we are kind of stuck with sealed (and for good reason). But it's super handy to swap batteries if your current one is defective or old.

I agree with you about the pricetags of current phones. They are way too high. I had a hard time accepting the $900 pricetag of my Pixel 2 - I don't think I could handle spending $1200 before adding on things like taxes, etc.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Mike,
I'm pretty sure what you and I are discussing is not really related to the original post however interesting it may be.
Having said that, if you prefer LDAC codes over aptX or aptX HD I'll pretty much guarantee your wireless headphones don't support it anyway. That's why you like it better.
I'm a headphones freak due to being a musician. I have many different sets. And I'm telling you the wireless technologies have made it sound so good with the aptX it's almost useless to have wired cans nowadays. Sure, if we spend lots of money on a really high end pair you can still hear a big difference but I'm talking lots of money and I'm just not gonna do that. I'm not going to spend 5 to 10 times more money to get a 10% better sound. Been there. Done that.
You have brought up a good point though that I think I will start another thread to get some feedback for.
Thanks for sharing.

I was mostly discussing the V20 DAC so I thought I was on topic.
LDAC is Sony's proprietary CODEC and you can't use it on the V20 unless you have OREO as far I can tell.

As a former sound engineer I've worked with live and studio musicians so I've been around the block a few times when it comes to headphones. I don't agree with Bluetooth sounding as good as wired and you don't have to spend big bucks. Maybe if you are listening to low quality files it's harder to tell the difference but if you listen to higher quality files especially lossless there is a tremendous difference between Bluetooth and wired.

mrdave570

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
It's the cost of new phones that suck. When my V20 is toast, I will buy a recent used phone or a pre-paid smart phone. No more $1K or more phones for me.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
It's the cost of new phones that suck. When my V20 is toast, I will buy a recent used phone or a pre-paid smart phone. No more $1K or more phones for me.

Agreed....phones are getting out of hand the when it comes to how much they cost and how fast they devalue

Greedog

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
LDAC is Sony's proprietary CODEC and you can't use it on the V20 unless you have OREO as far I can tell.

As a former sound engineer I've worked with live and studio musicians so I've been around the block a few times when it comes to headphones. I don't agree with Bluetooth sounding as good as wired and you don't have to spend big bucks. Maybe if you are listening to low quality files it's harder to tell the difference but if you listen to higher quality files especially lossless there is a tremendous difference between Bluetooth and wired.
I totally agree with you saying you don't have to spend big bucks. What I am saying is with your V20 and a decent pair of Bluetooth headphones that use AptX HD and the music encoded at a minimum of 256kbps at 41k/htz you won't hear a big enough difference to justify a wired set of headphones.
I know. I've done the research.
Do the wired ones sound better? Maybe a little.
Go and buy a set of headphones that are made to utilize the phone's technology. Like a set of Tone Infinium HBS 900's made by LG at the very least. I had a set and for wireless headphones they were awesome.
Don't get me wrong. I would never question your sound experience. It's just that I've probably bought at least thirteen sets of wireless cans since I had those to try and get a good enough sound to match my wired AKG 240's. (Yes, they are older but still awesome.)
I still use wired headphones from time to time. Always when I'm performing. But for just daily listening I've got the wireless thing to where they sound pretty darn good. Almost as good as my Shure 315's.
I'll say it one more time...
No one does smartphone audio like LG. Nobody! At least I've not heard anything better yet.
If you would like some factual information about sound compression I have some great stuff to read. I could send you a link.

Greedog

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site

I totally agree with you saying you don't have to spend big bucks. What I am saying is with your V20 and a decent pair of Bluetooth headphones that use AptX HD and the music encoded at a minimum of 256kbps at 41k/htz you won't hear a big enough difference to justify a wired set of headphones.
Go and buy a set of headphones that are made to utilize the phone's technology. Like a set of Tone Infinium HBS 900's made by LG at the very least. I had a set and for wireless headphones they were awesome.
Don't get me wrong. I would never question your sound experience. It's just that I've probably bought at least thirteen sets of wireless cans since I had those to try and get a good enough sound to match my wired AKG 240's. (Yes, they are older but still awesome.)
I still use wired headphones from time to time. Always when I'm performing. But for just daily listening I've got the wireless thing to where they sound pretty darn good. Almost as good as my Shure 315's.
No one does smartphone audio like LG. Nobody! At least I've not heard anything better yet.
If you would like some factual information about sound compression I have some great stuff to read. I could send you a link.
I added the LG comment to keep the post "on topic".

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Im sure you are aware that the problem with using the V20 with Bluetooth is you're not utilizing the Quad DAC which is what it is heralded for. At that point any phone with AptX or AptX HD will do.

Thanks for the offer but I have all the information on compression I need.

Greedog

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site

Mike,
I missed saying one thing. I never said wireless sounded "as good". (I don't think)
I said it's so much better now with the AptX and AptX HD. The wire is becoming less of a requirement to listen to your favorite tunes and really enjoy it.
You're so right about the money. The wireless headphones I listen to most of the day only cost me $35.

Greedog

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
Im sure you are aware that the problem with using the V20 with Bluetooth is you're not utilizing the Quad DAC which is what it is heralded for. At that point any phone with AptX or AptX HD will do.

Thanks for the offer but I have all the information on compression I need.
Yes! I know. But even with my best set of wired cans it's not worth it having to deal with the cable.
Maybe I'm going deaf.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I still have my V20 that I let my daughter use to play games on and make movies with. One of the batteries (I have 4) started swelling on the standalone charger. I have a galaxy S4 in the garage running Alfred. Every single battery I pop in that phone swells.

I can only imagine what will happen to my V30 when the battery swells one day. Will my screen spontaneously crack?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I still have my V20 that I let my daughter use to play games on and make movies with. One of the batteries (I have 4) started swelling on the standalone charger. I have a galaxy S4 in the garage running Alfred. Every single battery I pop in that phone swells.

I can only imagine what will happen to my V30 when the battery swells one day. Will my screen spontaneously crack?

The only batteries that have swollen on me were those that sat for awhile.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Yes! I know. But even with my best set of wired cans it's not worth it having to deal with the cable.
Maybe I'm going deaf.

I'm fighting hard not to get another set of cans. Bowers and Wilkens PX in gold are looking pretty good to me

Attachments

• 28476.jpg
    28476.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 38

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site

Yeah I want to try to avoid being judgy but I feel like you're doing something wrong if you're seeing batteries swell at such a huge rate.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site

I've got 3 batteries and 1 oem cradle and need to get 1 more new one so if anyone has a link for a good one please post it or pm me..

As to the wired vs Bluetooth.. Hands down wired for the best, but my LG HBS1100 sound frigging awesome and are a whole lot easier to use... Lol

I've seen a lot of folks griping about the camera in this phone but I've been very happy with it and the Google camera.

I'm sure others prefer Apple or Samsung to this phone, but the cost just is a huge turn off to me

Perhaps I'm just getting old, but can anyone explain why all these new phones have to have curved screens and glass backs on them? I mean seriously... Why?

I don't know... Maybe I should rethink the new Poco phone... Atleast I won't have to give up a arm and a leg to get one.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I've got 3 batteries and 1 oem cradle and need to get 1 more new one so if anyone has a link for a good one please post it or pm me..

As to the wired vs Bluetooth.. Hands down wired for the best, but my LG HBS1100 sound frigging awesome and are a whole lot easier to use... Lol

I've seen a lot of folks griping about the camera in this phone but I've been very happy with it and the Google camera.

I'm sure others prefer Apple or Samsung to this phone, but the cost just is a huge turn off to me

Perhaps I'm just getting old, but can anyone explain why all these new phones have to have curved screens and glass backs on them? I mean seriously... Why?

I don't know... Maybe I should rethink the new Poco phone... Atleast I won't have to give up a arm and a leg to get one.

I despise the curved edges and glass backs. Totally unwarranted and yet the cry will be....but it feels premium....total bull

Greedog

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
I'm fighting hard not to get another set of cans. Bowers and Wilkens PX in gold are looking pretty good to me
They do look amazing.
I got a pair of Dr Dre Beats Solo3 for myself for Christmas. I listened to someone else's and thought they sounded OK. What really sold me was the battery life. I used them wired of course (no AptX support so I could really notice the difference). Here's what they looked like 3 months later. 20180227_121732_hdr.jpg

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Ok so is it OK if I the V20 sat for a while and then the battery swelled?.

As for my S4 batteries that swell, I am attributing the constant heat as the phone is always on as a camera and plugged in to a charger. But still. What happens when this happens with a sealed phone?
Yeah I want to try to avoid being judgy but I feel like you're doing something wrong if you're seeing batteries swell at such a huge rate.
... Doing something wrong? Like using my phone? Sure I know that it's best to put lithium batteries into storage at half charge. But the point is that battery technology has not reached the point where they don't swell. Not good for sealed phones.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty