Android oreo on lg v20

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
My phone auto-updated last week without my permission. Since the update I absolutely hate my phone. It freezes all the time so I have to restart it. It lags, very poor response time. It is so aggravating. I have promoted android from day one and now I can't stand it. I'm ready to go back to a flip phone, this is how much I hate oreo.
You jinxed me. Now my phone is freezing. I found I could get screen working again by choosing an app on the second screen then back out and main screen was active again. Your experience may vary.

The worst thing is our phones are old so nobody will work on a fix

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
The update has not done great things for my connectivity, to the point that T-Mobile are insisting that they send me a new phone, but now that I have had it a couple of days I do actually quite like the way the operating system is laid out and looks. I like the way it keeps a notification for Bluetooth in the notification bar so you can get at it more quickly. Apps which were not running well on 7, presumably because they were being optimized for 8, are running better. Waze navigation is one example.

The workaround I found for the no network connection issues I am experiencing is to select 3-g 2G network instead of the default with LTE, at which point the 4G icon and 5 bars of strong service show up. It's really really weird, but it should tide me over until they get me a new unit. The truly strange thing is that by selecting the slower Network it is actually running faster than it did before or after the upgrade! As yet nobody has figured out what the heck is going on. It confirms my experience operating system upgrades are invariably more trouble than they are worth! I only did it because the phone kept nagging me...

Wow, this is appalling.. I'm glad I didn't install the update. I'm definitely 100% not updating... Thanks guys, you helped me..

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I think your phone was set to "auto update" which is on by default.. I keep it off... Didn't know everyone was experiencing problems, is it really worse than before?
I can't speak for other versions, but Verizon phones do not respect having auto update turned off. I've been able to prevent Oreo so far, but it still tries to download and install even with auto updates off.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I can't speak for other versions, but Verizon phones do not respect having auto update turned off. I've been able to prevent Oreo so far, but it still tries to download and install even with auto updates off.

I forgot Verizon tweaks their phone to the way they want... I still think you can stop it if you disable it using package disabler

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
My experience is worse. I really miss the edit functions that used to be in the stock gallery like rotating picture andcropping picture. I hate having to use a separate app to dk it. My battery life is the same but I exclude all the apps I want updated from sleeping so gmail, email, outlook, BeWeather and a few others can update notifications regularly. My phone seldom dozes. That said I am a heavy userso screen is seldom off for long. I've asked before and will ask again - what great new features did Oreo bring? Gallery and folders suck. Battery life is the same.

Are you sure it's not there? People say it's there and you can still rotate images..
Screenshot_2018-10-15-17-44-31.jpg

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Are you sure it's not there? People say it's there and you can still rotate images..
View attachment 292291
There is an edit button on the bottom. When you click it you get choices of where to edit. Nine of the choices are gallery.
de56f1163b8e8f2ddee487526b3d0070.jpg
7c42a2b8a76c314466566f6efa1d2272.jpg

notacoach

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
A new weirdness: if I use the microphone from my keyboard, the google mic no longer appears at the bottom, below the app's text entry area, but instead over it. It doesn't type the text directly in, but instead pops up a screan to show it to you and you then have to entire it. Is there a way to go back to the previous method? This is driving me nuts. I only use the dictation feature when I'm in the car, and this defeats the purpose of having it voice controlled!

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
A new weirdness: if I use the microphone from my keyboard, the google mic no longer appears at the bottom, below the app's text entry area, but instead over it. It doesn't type the text directly in, but instead pops up a screan to show it to you and you then have to entire it. Is there a way to go back to the previous method? This is driving me nuts. I only use the dictation feature when I'm in the car, and this defeats the purpose of having it voice controlled!

Can you screen shot your issue?

notacoach

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
Update: the new handset Tmo sent to replace the one the update borked shipped with Nougat, but the backup I had done was Oreo so I decided it was best just to bite the bullet and update the new one before I swapped everything over.

It's now fabulous. Battery life is sick good so far and everything is running very fast. All connectivity is great this time.

My advice is, if you update, to do a major full backup first (possibly two using different methods eg LG backup plus a 3rd party app) and factory reset after updating. It's like getting a brand new phone.

I mentioned a couple of Oreo features I liked up thread, but will add that while setting the notification options are a little time consuming, it is actually great to be able to select what you want to see from each program.

While getting to this point has been a pain, end result is A+. I won't be replacing the V20 until I absolutely have to, and I'm hoping that won't be for at least a year. With swappable batteries and a new lease of life via Ofeo, it's still a fast powerhouse of a machine (with the best audio recorder I've heard in any phone!!)

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I mentioned a couple of Oreo features I liked up thread, but will add that while setting the notification options are a little time consuming, it is actually great to be able to select what you want to see from each program.

Ahhhh.......notifications in Oreo.........the one feature I have found to be a major PITA, especially if you use a smart watch. While Oreo provides you with a lot of notification flexibility it does come at the expense of complexity.

When my V20 updated to Oreo, I stopped receiving email notifications on my smartwatch. And between system settings, app settings and battery saving settings it took me days to get the right combination of on / off toggles. There is an opportunity to make this easier.

KarlJC

Oct 19, 2018
Visit site
Im buying what is said to be a new LG V20, and I am thinking of updating it to Oreo before I start using it.

I really dont want issues, and I dont really care if it has Oreo or not. But if I'm going to to pushed into updating to Oreo I'm thinking its better to do it now before I load all of my stuff on it.

With Oreo do you lose the 2nd screen on the V20 ?

What do you think should I just leave it alone or should I update it to Oreo ?

Thx

notacoach

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
No change to the second screen functions :) frankly, the second screen is one of the main reasons I don't want to move to another phone - it is one of the best features about the v20 and I use it all the time!

demonix

Mar 7, 2016
Visit site
After my device received Oreo I performed a factory reset. The battery life on this is way better than my Note 8, so much so that I moved my main SIM to it. Great performance etc.

Roberttrebor

Oct 23, 2018
Visit site
Anyone know how to activate colour button in settings??? In my navigation bar, messeges etc is orange and I have not idea how to change?? Colour button is not active at all. Anyone have same issue? Please help

KarlJC

Oct 19, 2018
Visit site
Hey guy Im still looking for input on the below, got any advice ???

Im buying what is said to be a new LG V20, and I am thinking of updating it to Oreo before I start using it.

I really dont want issues, and I dont really care if it has Oreo or not. But if I'm going to to pushed into updating to Oreo I'm thinking its better to do it now before I load all of my stuff on it.

What do you think should I just leave it alone or should I update it to Oreo ?

Thx

notacoach

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
Yes, do it first. I had zero issues with the replacement handset where I updated before setting it up. After the usual "new system" niggles while I got used to the differences, I give Oreo a thumbs up. Fast, and improved battery life.

KarlJC

Oct 19, 2018
Visit site
Yes, do it first. I had zero issues with the replacement handset where I updated before setting it up. After the usual "new system" niggles while I got used to the differences, I give Oreo a thumbs up. Fast, and improved battery life.

I got the phone and tried to do the software update but it keeps telling me the software is up to date even tho its not.