Android oreo on lg v20

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

My phone (lg v20) updated to oreo 8.0
after phone was restarted, the virtual/onscreen keyboard background changed to white with no options to edit or change the color in settings, display or app. Any suggestions?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
So do folks like the update? I've noted vibration intensity can no longer be controlled. Setting is there but does nothing. Also on manual I cannot make the phone as dim as before. If you open an app from a folder when you back out of the app you go back to the folder instead of homescreen which requires an extra back arrow press. I'm also getting weird random gmail sound notifications when I don't have an email at all. Phone seems less peppy and heats up faster. Yes I have cleared phone cache. I have not done a system reset. Might as well buy a new phone if I am going through that torture.

Anything good that I'm missing? I do see more notification options. Had to turn off badge count option on a lot of apps that don't need it and never had it before. I'm trying to think of something good...

MittenSportsFan

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I have the Verizon Oreo update option waiting for 2 days now.
Waiting to read what others think before I pull the trigger.
I have my V20 set up the way I want now and not excited about re-doing everything if improvement isn't significant.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I have the Verizon Oreo update option waiting for 2 days now.
Waiting to read what others think before I pull the trigger.
Ditto. I haven't seen anything from others that makes me want the update. If anything, simply having the update in que has made my phone fairly laggy. Right after it downloaded (with auto updates off, mind you), my phone started lagging doing even basic tasks like net browsing. And I have verified that I'm still on 7.0, so it didn't update overnight on me. Yet...

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
can i disable the suggestion to use ON-BODY DETECTION? freaking annoying. and not super stoked about the CLEAR ALL button being moved to the other side of the screen since for years my thumb knows to go to the top to clear all. but so far (an hour?) no other major annoyances...

Greedog

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
With all the crap I've been reading about the Oreo update I'm kind of glad my phone won't update to it.
Yeehaw! I'm not so concerned about it now. Maybe my next phone (which won't be any time soon).

Bildriver

Jan 14, 2016
Visit site
Battery life improved 100% for me. Unplug @ 100% & 8 hrs later, sleeping it's still @ 100%. I personally like oreo on my V20.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
So do folks like the update? I've noted vibration intensity can no longer be controlled. Setting is there but does nothing. Also on manual I cannot make the phone as dim as before. If you open an app from a folder when you back out of the app you go back to the folder instead of homescreen which requires an extra back arrow press. I'm also getting weird random gmail sound notifications when I don't have an email at all. Phone seems less peppy and heats up faster. Yes I have cleared phone cache. I have not done a system reset. Might as well buy a new phone if I am going through that torture.

Anything good that I'm missing? I do see more notification options. Had to turn off badge count option on a lot of apps that don't need it and never had it before. I'm trying to think of something good...

So you don't recommend the update? Is it better without it?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
So you don't recommend the update? Is it better without it?
My user experience was better without it. As for 8 hrs asleep at 100% something weird there. Maybe no push email and on airplane mode? Even on airplane mode I wouldn't get thatkind of battery life. I push 4 email accounts but I do not use facebook nor instagram. Overnight it drops from 100 to 88%

tickerguy

Nov 4, 2016
Visit site
Oreo+ is FAR more aggressive in blocking background processes when the phone is sleeping. Google has their "preferred" means of notification (what they call Firebase cloud management) and anything other than that, without special permission (and a permanent notification posted) will NOT run when the phone is asleep outside of very short and infrequent "maintenance windows."

This is very good for battery life but apps that are not written correctly to the guidelines will not update when the phone is sleeping.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
My user experience was better without it. As for 8 hrs asleep at 100% something weird there. Maybe no push email and on airplane mode? Even on airplane mode I wouldn't get thatkind of battery life. I push 4 email accounts but I do not use facebook nor instagram. Overnight it drops from 100 to 88%

Thanks for the tip. I think I'm not going to update it.. seriously, if it's working 100% fine on Android Nougat, then I really should just leave it the heck alone... My worst fear is updating it and then having a worse experience. I don't know why manufacturers WON'T let you revert back to an older OS... you can easily do that on a PC.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Oreo+ is FAR more aggressive in blocking background processes when the phone is sleeping. Google has their "preferred" means of notification (what they call Firebase cloud management) and anything other than that, without special permission (and a permanent notification posted) will NOT run when the phone is asleep outside of very short and infrequent "maintenance windows."

This is very good for battery life but apps that are not written correctly to the guidelines will not update when the phone is sleeping.

There are 3rd party apps that already do that, such as Force Doze which forces the phone to go into Doze Mode (an Android Nougat feature) when the screen is off. My standby time on the V20 is crazy good and have never used a phone with battery stand by this reliable. Greenify will hibernate and shutdown apps with a click of a button.. I usually stay away from auto hibernation because it seems to drain more battery and cause more issues.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Can you share your experience again, maybe after 3-4 weeks? From my understanding, every time a new Android OS is installed and used, it takes time for the OS to recognize your habits and learn, thus saving battery. But if that's not the case and there's something else, maybe I really shouldn't upgrade to Oreo... still on the fence with updating. I'm scared of planned obsolescence, people are talking about how the Pixel 2 is starting to slow down.. well maybe it was because of the updates they get every month? HTC has seen a large number of complaints from users with older device and them blaming the update.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the tip. I think I'm not going to update it.. seriously, if it's working 100% fine on Android Nougat, then I really should just leave it the heck alone... My worst fear is updating it and then having a worse experience. I don't know why manufacturers WON'T let you revert back to an older OS... you can easily do that on a PC.
My experience is worse. I really miss the edit functions that used to be in the stock gallery like rotating picture andcropping picture. I hate having to use a separate app to dk it. My battery life is the same but I exclude all the apps I want updated from sleeping so gmail, email, outlook, BeWeather and a few others can update notifications regularly. My phone seldom dozes. That said I am a heavy userso screen is seldom off for long. I've asked before and will ask again - what great new features did Oreo bring? Gallery and folders suck. Battery life is the same.

notacoach

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
The update has not done great things for my connectivity, to the point that T-Mobile are insisting that they send me a new phone, but now that I have had it a couple of days I do actually quite like the way the operating system is laid out and looks. I like the way it keeps a notification for Bluetooth in the notification bar so you can get at it more quickly. Apps which were not running well on 7, presumably because they were being optimized for 8, are running better. Waze navigation is one example.

The workaround I found for the no network connection issues I am experiencing is to select 3-g 2G network instead of the default with LTE, at which point the 4G icon and 5 bars of strong service show up. It's really really weird, but it should tide me over until they get me a new unit. The truly strange thing is that by selecting the slower Network it is actually running faster than it did before or after the upgrade! As yet nobody has figured out what the heck is going on. It confirms my experience operating system upgrades are invariably more trouble than they are worth! I only did it because the phone kept nagging me...

williambondj0620

Oct 15, 2018
Visit site
My phone auto-updated last week without my permission. Since the update I absolutely hate my phone. It freezes all the time so I have to restart it. It lags, very poor response time. It is so aggravating. I have promoted android from day one and now I can't stand it. I'm ready to go back to a flip phone, this is how much I hate oreo.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
My phone auto-updated last week without my permission. Since the update I absolutely hate my phone. It freezes all the time so I have to restart it. It lags, very poor response time. It is so aggravating. I have promoted android from day one and now I can't stand it. I'm ready to go back to a flip phone, this is how much I hate oreo.
It shouldn't be THAT bad.I hate it too hut I don't have those issues. Have you tried updating your apps and clearing phone cache? If that doesn't work maybe a factory reset? My issues are annoying (just differences in Oreo I do not like) but no problems with the phone freezing.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
My experience is worse. I really miss the edit functions that used to be in the stock gallery like rotating picture andcropping picture. I hate having to use a separate app to dk it. My battery life is the same but I exclude all the apps I want updated from sleeping so gmail, email, outlook, BeWeather and a few others can update notifications regularly. My phone seldom dozes. That said I am a heavy userso screen is seldom off for long. I've asked before and will ask again - what great new features did Oreo bring? Gallery and folders suck. Battery life is the same.

Wait what?! Why did they get rid of image rotate? Is it really gone? That's absurd.. I think you really sealed the deal with the update, I should just keep Nougat, especially since I'm happy with the performance already and it's optimized to the max

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

I think your phone was set to "auto update" which is on by default.. I keep it off... Didn't know everyone was experiencing problems, is it really worse than before?