is time to bin my LG V20? but for what?

gordiebear

Jun 22, 2018
Visit site
hey guys, my V20 takes bloody cracking photos, and I have massive hands, so all in all it suits me fine

but, she is getting rather long in the tooth, she lacks water resistance, but what is out there that will satisfy me photo wise?

any recommendations of what I should be looking at?

thanks all!

Big G

Chromium 4

May 28, 2017
Visit site
hey guys, my V20 takes bloody cracking photos, and I have massive hands, so all in all it suits me fine

but, she is getting rather long in the tooth, she lacks water resistance, but what is out there that will satisfy me photo wise?

any recommendations of what I should be looking at?

thanks all!

Big G

I went with the Samsung Galaxy Note 9. It's close to the V20's size and the cameras are awesome. The Dolby Atmos stereo sounds great both through the speakers and rivals the V20's Quad DAC with headphones on. The N9 is a nice progression upgrade. Just be on the lookout for some good sales.

v65rider

Aug 26, 2018
Visit site
I too went with a Note 9 but guess what? It's still new in the box. Only turned it on to activate/unlock it (Verizon). Can't bring myself to retire this V20 workhorse. Good luck with your decision.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I loved my v series phones but last week I retired my 2nd v20.

I could have easily moved on to the v30 or V40 and had plans on doing just that, but after having both the V40 and the Note 9 side by side and playing with both I came home with the Note 9. There was this much of a difference between the two in my opinion that led me to do this.

Choosing a daily driver is a personal choice, and there are a lot of good choices to be made.

I'll keep my V20 around and use it for music storage and a Wi-Fi connected device but this new Note is a joy to use as opposed to the older Samsung devices.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I went w/the V40 but I keep my V20 as a backup.

I use my V20 as a media device/remote control so it still gets used alot.

AtTheHop

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
I want to go for a Note 9 but my Social Security only went up 15 dollars and my V20 is still working fine. So beer and wine takes prescient.

talon1189

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site
My V20 works flawless. One of the kids at work just bought a Samsung 9+ and loves it. I showed him my V20 and opened up the back and took out the battery. He had a shocked look on his face 😲

mrdave570

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
My V20 works flawless. One of the kids at work just bought a Samsung 9+ and loves it. I showed him my V20 and opened up the back and took out the battery. He had a shocked look on his face ??????

Yeah its a shock. One friend of mine laughed at me changing batteries and wondered how old my phone was as if it was 5 years old. Some friends have completely forgotten how much they loved this feature. They are so used to sealed phones that they think V20 is a dinosaur.

gordiebear

Jun 22, 2018
Visit site
Hey guys, OP here again. Well, it is almost June and I still have my trusty V20 in everyday use. I tried a Note 9, tried S10+, and even crossed over to the other side and tried an XS Max, but nothing really excites me about any of those phones. I have huge hands, so the V20 is perfect for me, whereas the 'modern' approach is for skinny, long phones that do nothing for me at all. So, for the moment the V20 stays and I think about a ZeroLemon 10000mah battery to see me through the holidays ahead.

I don't mind being a dinosaur owner for now! :)

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
If you like manual camera controls, stick with the V-series. If you prefer point and shoot, look at Samsung and Pixels. Those seem to be the best for cameras.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Samsung has manual controls as well
Many phones have them, but not as robust as LG's V-series. The V-series gives up to 30 sec. manual exposures. I think Samsung only gives you 10 sec. max unless something recently changed. The V-series also gives full manual control over both audio and video when recording videos (not to mention top notch mics), which isn't very common.

That was my main point. That LG does manual controls better than anyone else, not that they are the only ones with the ability. There are third party apps with manual controls as well, but they won't likely overcome manufacturer limits (such as increasing Samsung's 10 sec. exposure limit).

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Many phones have them, but not as robust as LG's V-series. The V-series gives up to 30 sec. manual exposures. I think Samsung only gives you 10 sec. max unless something recently changed. The V-series also gives full manual control over both audio and video when recording videos (not to mention top notch mics), which isn't very common.

That was my main point. That LG does manual controls better than anyone else, not that they are the only ones with the ability. There are third party apps with manual controls as well, but they won't likely overcome manufacturer limits (such as increasing Samsung's 10 sec. exposure limit).
My point was to clarify for those that might not be aware that Samsung has manual controls. I'm not suggesting that Samsung's controls are as robust. I do wonder how many people actually use 10 or 30 second exposures on a smart device.

notacoach

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
I am currently in the same boat, trying to decide between a v40 and a note 9. The higher cost of the note 9 is still a deterrent, despite how much I think I would like having a stylus again. I loved the one in my old Palm Treo!!

I know that I will miss the second screen which I use a lot, but the v40 floating screen looks like it will be sufficient if not quite as convenient, I am Samsung has the edge screen. It will be easier to transfer LG to LG, and it means that I won't need to learn a new interface.

That said, every time I play with a note 9 in a store, I am very tempted to drink the Kool-aid and switch... I always seem to go for the underdog phone as I had HTC before I moved to the lgv20, so it would be weird for me to jump on the marketing bandwagon, but the note9 does seem like a fantastic device....

mrdave570

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
I pay off my V20 end of June. Finally. I would switch to Pixel 4 but AT&T isn't selling them to use on their network and I have to stay on AT&T (job). I will shop in the Fall but I just can't see myself spending $1000 on a phone. By Oct, the V60 should be out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress