LG V30: No DAC... No Dice

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
There are a lot of leaks but so far no real confirmation if all variations will have the Dedicated DAC.
As a V20 owner that uses and appreciates the DAC on a daily basis I will definitely not upgrade if it missing. I am wondering how many of you V20 owners that enjoy great audio and are considering the V30 will buy it without the DAC.
I for one will not upgrade, especially since we already lost the battery. I know many of you V20 owners aren't upgrading regardless but I'm curious to how those of you that are dedicated to the dedicated DAC will not compromise.

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Well, id be upset if it didn't and would have to consider other options for sure, the DAC was the main reason I got the v20, it turned me into a HiFi enthusiast and $1000 later in headphones equipment I don't think that's gonna change anytime soon. My question is, will there or is there anything coming out that will come close the dac of the v20?

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
There is no way a V series device will come without the DAC magic. The question is will they differentiate with the whole tuned by B&O thing like they did with the V20 again.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Well, id be upset if it didn't and would have to consider other options for sure, the DAC was the main reason I got the v20, it turned me into a HiFi enthusiast and $1000 later in headphones equipment I don't think that's gonna change anytime soon. My question is, will there or is there anything coming out that will come close the dac of the v20?

I have heard the HTC U11 is pretty good but I will not touch a phone without a dedicated headphone jack.

SchinkenSpicker

Jul 31, 2017
Visit site
I hope they make this "tuned by B&O" thing again, because then there's some hope they'll use it as an exclusive feature for the korean market instead of the DAC itself. I want this DAC so bad.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I don't forsee LG going without the DAC especially since the V20 was an upgrade over the V10, plus making it available on the G6 in some markets.

Although I love it, and I have the B&O headphones, I wish LG had some high fidelity signal processing for the Bluetooth side.

If the V30 had a removable battery and no DAC I'd still get it. But I'm likely skipping over the V30 till the V40 or we will see what else is out there.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I don't forsee LG going without the DAC especially since the V20 was an upgrade over the V10, plus making it available on the G6 in some markets.

Although I love it, and I have the B&O headphones, I wish LG had some high fidelity signal processing for the Bluetooth side.

If the V30 had a removable battery and no DAC I'd still get it. But I'm likely skipping over the V30 till the V40 or we will see what else is out there.

The V20 supports APT X Bluetooth so if you have compatible headphones it should be good as I doubt they will remove APT X from the V30.

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Wasnt this billed already as a multi-media/music powerhouse? I swear I read a few times an improved DAC. May not be the same one as the V30 Plus but i cant see it not having one. There was talk of the sound system being so advanced it will even support external mics and improved recording playback.

MSFTisMIA

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
If LG minces up features with the V30 again this year like they did with the G6 earlier...I'll just laugh and hold onto the V20 for a little longer.

If they did this, they would deserve any poor sales numbers...

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Wasnt this billed already as a multi-media/music powerhouse? I swear I read a few times an improved DAC. May not be the same one as the V30 Plus but i cant see it not having one. There was talk of the sound system being so advanced it will even support external mics and improved recording playback.

I've heard improved audio and the DAC speculated on here and there. There is a lot of concern that LG will pull a G6 maneuver. The sound support for ext. microphone is separate from the DAC. Im under the impression that we can use external on the V20 already.

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Not sure about external mic on V20, just remember it as a part of the whole "powerhouse" package that was discussed with the V30. I guess we will know in a few weeks.

I may be misinterpreting but it almost seems to me, from your various posts about what LG is doing wrong, you are looking for reasons to justify not buying it. If it's that close, as a few others will do, the V40 might be worth the wait.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Not sure about external mic on V20, just remember it as a part of the whole "powerhouse" package that was discussed with the V30. I guess we will know in a few weeks.

I may be misinterpreting but it almost seems to me, from your various posts about what LG is doing wrong, you are looking for reasons to justify not buying it. If it's that close, as a few others will do, the V40 might be worth the wait.

Definitely misinterpreting..... No DAC would be an immediate no go. Everything else is wait and see what's really inside the box. What they are doing wrong is making too many variations based on geography.

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Mike....100% agree on your take on the DAC and geography. To me if there is some top-tier version and all of the units don't have it I do think that's wrong. If we still get an improved version most likely I'm a buyer especially with the rumors of the improved camera which is most important for me but I won't be completely satisfied but I suppose with phone that's always the case anymore. No matter what I got I'm never going to be completely satisfied but this one seems it could have been an easily solved problem

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
If LG minces up features with the V30 again this year like they did with the G6 earlier...I'll just laugh and hold onto the V20 for a little longer.

If they did this, they would deserve any poor sales numbers...
No. I wouldn't even consider the V30 without the DAC. That's one of the main reasons I bought the V20.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
But LG arrogantly know that for people who say they'll look for elsewhere if there is no DAC, there is no direct competing phone in the V30 sector that has a hifi DAC. I really like LG but this arrogance over the past few years is starting to grind on me a litte. You expect it from Apple or Samsung but LG are dictating what regions get certain features and what they decide people want in a phone, if they release the phone there at all (V10&V20 here in Europe)

VoodooMagnetman

May 24, 2017
Visit site
I just don't know why more phone makers don't try and put out a phone that has quality sound and internals like DAC's. I understand that things are going wireless and people want hands free, but what a difference it makes to plug in a quality pair of headphones into a solid DAC. If the LG V30 moves away from this, I'm out. One of the main reasons I purchased the V20.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Phone makers make what they think most people want and leave out features most people don't use to save on cost and for more design flexibility. That's why the removal battery and IR blaster went away from Samsung Phones.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty