V30 0r G7 ThinkQ?

Buddy1969

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
They're quite equal. As far as I see it, the G7 has a faster processor and the wideangle cam has a bigger aperture. Else, they don't give each other a lot of go-tos.

I do like the design of the V30 though. Maybe, if you're not sure and have the time, you might wait for the V30s followup (V35 or V40, not sure what it's gonna be called).

Last edited:

al23

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I would go with the V30. Better battery life will always wind the day for me. The screen of the V30 is great (yes the color shifting is there off center). The advantages of the G7 (including its bright screen) aren't enough to compel me to choose it over the V30. The V30 was smooth and quite snappy for me. So an upgrade to the better processor isn't a big advantage. Moreover, these days you can get a V30 with 6 GB of RAM. The final point I will make is that you can get a V30 for a great price now.

Last edited:

Lambertoid

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
the sad part besides the prices at sprint the only reason I didn't want the G7 was the notch! yes you can hide it but just having it idk bothers me. I do wish my V30 had the updated front camera and 6 gigs of RAM. however this phone has yet to stutter for me playing pubg and everyday task. so at the end of the day pricing was a big factor.

wmurch3

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I'd go with the G7 if price is no barrier. better screen, better cameras, newer processor, and same DAC.

I only went with the V30+ because it was super cheap on Sprint.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I've been trying to read reviews but I can't seem to get a difinative conclusion. Does anyone one here have opinions?

Here's my opinion:

G7:
• Brighter "Ultra Bright Mode" display
• IPS LCD screen will never get screen burn-in
• Much louder "BoomBox" sound chamber
• Better battery life? Snapdragon 845 vs. 835 plus the new MLCD+ technology supposed to help save battery (battery is smaller by 300mAh though it doesn't necessarily mean it's weaker) according to LG engineer
• Apparently the screen is FLATTER and installing a tempered glass screen protector is possible and not an issue
• Extra button for Google Assistant
• Bezelless display with a notch (good or bad depending on your preference, however you can turn it off)
• Just a tad smaller in size, barely smaller
• Newer and improved cameras, you get two 16MP lenses.. however seems like LG reduced the POV of the wide angle on the G7 to reduce distortion...
• Much better 8MP front facing camera (compared to 5MP)
• More expensive than the older V30 (but still affordable)
• Slightly updated and improved Quad DAC
• Headphone jack is on the bottom again (better IMO)

V30:
• P-OLED display (subjectively looks more beautiful especially black colors, however subject to permanent screen burn-in and doesn't age well)
• Slightly larger battery by 300mAh (but possibly weaker battery due to older CPU plus the more power hungry OLED screen)
• No notch, better looking design and more curved body (Subjective)
• Curved screen more pronounced therefore installing a tempered glass screen protector has been a big issue among users.. the only ones that work good are the expensive ones which require expensive equipment to install..
• More affordable (especially used) since it's been out for a while, probably half or a third of a cost of a G7.
• 16MP + 13MP wide angle lens
• Very weak 5MP front facing camera (lower quality image than the V20 IMO) however I think the selfie camera is more wider than the G7 but I'm not sure about that
• No extra Google Assistant button, no BoomBox sound chamber, no notch, older version Quad DAC, no ultra bright mode.

Overall, the G7 has newer tech, has a slightly smaller body (barely), has an MLCD+ display as opposed to P-OLED, has a BoomBox sound chamber, much better 8MP selfie camera, a 16MP wide angle versus 13MP, most likely costs 1.5x - 2x more since it's newer, has a notch, and most importantly the screen is FLATTER so installing a glass screen protector is easier.

If money is not an issue, if you don't mind the notch, if you don't mind LCD, if you want newer tech, and if you don't mind paying more, get the G7.

If you like AMOLED, if you hate the notch, if you want to save money, get the V30.

Source for reason why I think the battery is better on the G7:

The LG G7 ThinQ’s MLCD+ display technology explained
https://www.androidauthority.com/lg-g7-thinq-mlcd-display-861285/

Jul 19, 2018
Visit site
Own a G6, got a V35 on prime day (same cams as G7), and a new in box V30.

Cameras = G6<V35<V30

Horrible loss of detail on V35 when pixel-peeping. Extremely washed out colors on selfie, barely at 8mp an upgrade to the V30 5mp selfie, and I mean barely (tested with my own eyes and about 5 people at work). Main and Wide loss of shadows although less saturated colors. Main and wide appear a bit washed out to. Testing performed in various lighting conditions and with HDR on/off/auto. I am sure all of this conveys to the G7. Just thought you all should know. V35 is going back. Especially because you can no longer switch between between main and wide modules while recording video. You have to stop and re-start recording. No plans by LG per tweets to re-add feature.

Additionally, V30 Thinq update ruins HDR on selfie mode. Major, major problems with colors after moving to ThinQ firmware on it. Thinking of downgrading back to previous firmware.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87