Done with LG phones.

Jaderl1982

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
Pretty much done with LG phones after my LG V30 is fully paid off. They don't support thier phones, software upgrades are almost non existent, customer service is horendous, so why keep supporting. I've had the v20, great phone but little software support as well. Who else is done?

jmfixitman

Oct 4, 2018
Visit site
What software support are you missing? I've never needed them for anything. They have a very slim overlay on Android, unlike Samsung. So they're pretty close to just being pure Android.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
What software support are you missing? I've never needed them for anything. They have a very slim overlay on Android, unlike Samsung. So they're pretty close to just being pure Android.

Probably monthly security and platform updates.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm only done based on what their new phones have. I buy through my carrier, who also handles much of the customer service needs and all of my warranty needs. I also don't care much about OS updates due to a history of them making changes I don't like. I'm on the V20 and not taking the Oreo update because nothing about it excites me. I know that mean missing out on future security updates, but I practice safe habits that make it not much of an issue as well.

So your concerns are non-issues for me. On the other hand, the V30 and V40 are hardware downgrades in many areas for me. Sealed batteries, glass bodies, OLED display, no IR Blaster, notches, etc. The minor spec bumps they have over the V20 are not worth the trade-off. By the same token, none of the current flagships offer what I want in a phone and non-flagships are not going to be as future proof, so I guess you could say I'm done with ALL manufacturers until they come out with something that meets most of my wants or the V20 gets so far behind that it becomes problematic to use (I.e. Laggy).

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
IDK. I know they won't but if they actually put their P-OLED panel in the G8 this spring, I'd be interested.

lateck2

Sep 11, 2016
Visit site
I have not had support or upgrade issues. I guess it is what level of control you are looking for.
One could go to the closed total control of the apple ecosystem or maybe the Pixel Goolge system but there will still be the carriers that have their say for most of us.
It would almost be best if we went back to the rotary phones, always up to date..... (That is a joke, almost).

DFranch

May 22, 2014
Visit site
I love my V30. November 2018 security update, about par for the course in my experience. Battery lasts me 2 days with about 4-5 hours screen time. Since I usually only charge every other day, battery life hasn't diminished after about 15 months.

That being said, I am looking at the OnePlus 7 for my next phone. I would have gotten the 6t if it had wireless charging.

LG really should price their phones better if they want to earn back market share from Samsung.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
That being said, I am looking at the OnePlus 7 for my next phone. I would have gotten the 6t if it had wireless charging.

LG really should price their phones better if they want to earn back market share from Samsung.

Agreed. The V40 was on my radar, but at that price (at launch) I just couldn't pull the trigger.

The OnePlus 7 is also piquing my interest this spring. And I'm hoping the rumored price for the standard S10 aren't accurate. Decisions must be made. Looking forward to this spring.

DFranch

May 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm hoping the rumored price for the standard S10 aren't accurate. Decisions must be made. Looking forward to this spring.
I had the S7 Edge, and until Samsung gives up on the curved edges and figure out what is constantly killing the battery I'm done with them. Not to mention the price they are charging. S7 edge was $800 at launch almost 3 years ago. I got the V30 for $640 at launch on Verizon ($840 - $200 visa gift card, not monthly bill credits), that is more reasonable IMHO. Hopefully the OP7 is around the $580 - $600 price range.

wmurch3

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
you'd have to be a real dumb dumb to buy an LG phone at launch price. Wait a month and it'll be down about $200.

I love my v30 but only because I got it super cheap. I'm eyeing a used pixel 2xl as a backup phone for the camera capabilities.

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
you'd have to be a real dumb dumb to buy an LG phone at launch price. Wait a month and it'll be down about $200.

I love my v30 but only because I got it super cheap. I'm eyeing a used pixel 2xl as a backup phone for the camera capabilities.

LG phones can’t even compete anymore...not sure why people would bother. The software is and will be outdated, the cameras are outclassed by other phones etc

LG phones are only worth it when you buy them cheap like the above post said.

And @Mooncatt

How is a sealed battery bad? Or an OLED panel vs an LCD? I know LG displays are nowhere as good as Samsung but is it that bad? As for the sealed battery, good luck finding a phone with a user replaceable battery these days...

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
And @Mooncatt

How is a sealed battery bad? Or an OLED panel vs an LCD? I know LG displays are nowhere as good as Samsung but is it that bad? As for the sealed battery, good luck finding a phone with a user replaceable battery these days...

Almost every phone I've used with a sealed battery had a problem requiring the battery itself needing to be replaced. I'd much rather spend $20-30 on a drop in replacement, than to send it off for repair and pay twice as much and have that extra down time. It also allows for the option of more extended battery options and carrying spares.

My biggest problem with the OLED displays are burn in. I don't want to take that risk. I'm also not a fan of their overly saturated colors because manufacturers are more interested in "making colors pop" than natural appearances.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Almost every phone I've used with a sealed battery had a problem requiring the battery itself needing to be replaced. I'd much rather spend $20-30 on a drop in replacement, than to send it off for repair and pay twice as much and have that extra down time. It also allows for the option of more extended battery options and carrying spares.

My biggest problem with the OLED displays are burn in. I don't want to take that risk. I'm also not a fan of their overly saturated colors because manufacturers are more interested in "making colors pop" than natural appearances.

Just got the S10 after having an S8 for two years. Battery served me well. If I kept it longer it would've been an issue, I'm sure. Also, in two years, I had no burn in of any kind. And you can adjust the saturation in the display settings.

Not saying your opinion isn't valid. Just giving a different perspective.

Last edited:

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
I agree...burn ins with AMOLED or OLED displays are barely a thing anymore (only happens if you always use maximum brightness) and they are better for battery life.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I agree...burn ins with AMOLED or OLED displays are barely a thing anymore (only happens if you always use maximum brightness) and they are better for battery life.
My wife's S7 had it had and it was rarely above half brightness. The same with her other phones, and I expect it'll happen with her Note 9 too. I use my phone a lot, and often times outside where I need a bright screen. So yes, burn in is a real concern for me, especially with the times I use navigation for hours on end.

It's also negligible on battery life. To get a battery advantage, you are limited on themes because you need them dark. A white screen on full brightness can use more battery than an LCD. Most people are going to be somewhere in the middle doing activities with bright colors (gaming, browsing the net, videos, or even simply not wanting a dark theme), making the battery life advantage questionable in real world use.

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
Ok...in that case you guys seem to be quite unlucky with burn-ins. The vast majority of users wil never experience burn-ins with AMOLED or OLED displays, even if they use their phones often and keep them for a while.