Upgraded to a Galaxy S10 from a V30

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Only posting this for anyone else out there that has found poor signal strength, slow network reconnection, and frequent connection to 4G (non-LTE) with inability to use data 95% of the time. I experienced all these issues with my V30 but the one that drove me the most nuts was how often my phone would connect to regular 4G non-LTE and when it would be connected, even with full bars, I could not get get data 95% of the time. No internet sites would load, no email, etc... just sat spinning forever.

I was hesitant to upgrade worried that maybe it's just AT&T and I'd spend all the money for a new device and not find any improvement. I had my V30 for a year and a half. One day on the train I saw someone with an iPhone on AT&T browsing away with no issues and I couldn't get jack. So, I upgraded to the Galaxy S10 and can confirm the issue was indeed with the V30. The S10 has been absolutely flawless for me. I've now tested it several times on my commute at places where I couldn't get anything with my V30 and with the S10 no issue whatsoever. I'd also find with the V30 that when my train would pull into a station it would often take so long to reconnect to the cell network that I wouldn't get a connection until the train was pulling out then I'd lose connection again. With the S10 it's connected already when I pull it out of my case!

This isn't an advert for the S10, I'm merely posting this for anyone else with the V30 having below average cell performance and/or the issues I've mentioned. If you were wondering if it's the V30 - yes... it is! Outside of these issues I've had with the V30, and one other where the download folder keeps creating a duplicate that I must delete to see the contents of the folder, I did love the V30 in basically every other way. But I know breathe a sigh of relief to no longer have to deal with these frustrations that plagued me daily.

Rev.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
I am going to guess that you had a lemon since my V30 on ATT's network does not have those problems.

That said, I am happy that you now have a working combination.

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I am going to guess that you had a lemon since my V30 on ATT's network does not have those problems.

Rather unlikely unless it's an issue that affects a bunch of V30's. I found quite a number of threads on forums and posts on Reddit about signal strength issues on the V30. Some people compare it to their spouse's phone and observe a weaker signal on the same network in the same location. One guy blamed it on what he called "poor modem firmware". I'm an IT Tech but I'm not a developer so I can't attest to whether that is accurate or not.

But either way, yes... problem resolved for me now.

Rev.

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I have a V30 on AT&T and have poor connections in often where things just won't load. I had always just contributed it to being in the bay area and it being so populated and congested here. Thinking back to when I used the G3 and G4 on Cricket, I don't remember being this unhappy on the network, so it makes me wonder.

RapidTurtle

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I had a V30 with poor reception on AT&T. I really noticed it when my wife got the S9+, and she was getting full bars, and I had one or 2. On the DBM measurement, the S9+ would usually average 10 to 15 better than the V30. I got AT&T to swap the V30 out under warranty, and had the same problem with the replacement V30.
I also read about quite a few people having problems, and it seemed to be limited to the AT&T V30, so I can say if it was a lemon, there were quite a few of them.
I didn't even realize the 4G problem you mentioned. When I called AT&T once, they forced the phone to 4G only, in hopes of not dropping so many calls. I couldn't get data on 4G, and had to put the phone back to LTE. I thought it was just the 4G network, but now that you mention it, when the S9+ is on 4G, I get data at a pretty decent rate.
Yes, I traded in the V30 for an S9+, and it is so much better than the V30 reception wise. It's a shame because I actually liked my V30 more than the S9+ other than the one glaring reception problem.

thunder18

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Brother and I both have LG V30s on t-mobile. My sister in law got a V30 on AT&T because she liked the way the V30 performed. Hers performed terribly it was buggy, laggy, and just seemed like something was wrong with it. She ended up going back to an iPhone because of it. So I concur, there may be an issue with AT&T specific LG V30 software implementation.

LilSweetLin

Apr 7, 2018
Visit site
I can confirm having the same exact issues with the unlocked V30 I owned for all of two weeks last year. Mine was used on T-Mobile. I loved the quad DAC and the battery life, but the signal reception was utter crap. I asked the question on the V40 sub reddit after it was released and the issue still exists. I just can't justify LG's prices for sh!t signal. No wonder they're so cheap only a couple months after release.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Just to add an interesting data point that a few of us with V30 on ATT have noticed:

ATT just released the March security patch for Android 8.0. One of the things that some of us have noticed is the better signal strength we are now getting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress