LG V40 announcement

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Nothing special. Just taking a break until the V40 announcement. Please update this thread when a confirmed date is given so I can mark my calendar. Thanks.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
So rumors are back to the V40 having 5 cameras. Honestly this is the only upgrade over the V30+ that has peaked my interest.

Looking forward to the launch.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
So rumors are back to the V40 having 5 cameras. Honestly this is the only upgrade over the V30+ that has peaked my interest.

Looking forward to the launch.
The rumors have always been that. But the one rumor I'm dreading is a possible November 16 availability. I am 70% sure if that's the case I will get the Pixel 3 or the V30 instead. I can't let LG off the hook if they can't get their timing right year after year. Plus honestly the Pixel 3 form factor is exactly what I'm looking for. The bigger V40 would just be a tolerable compromise.

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm kinda of excited about the soft touch material that the V40 will use. I have found glass to be too slippery.

LilSweetLin

Apr 7, 2018
Visit site
I want to like it, but unless LG addresses the antennas and the crappy signal strength from them, as well as doing a UI overhaul and offering customization options geared toward adults and not teens, I'll hold on to my cash. I had to give up on my V30 and the amazing quad DAC and battery life because I couldn't take the inferior signal reception.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I'm kinda of excited about the soft touch material that the V40 will use. I have found glass to be too slippery.
Yes that looks very promising and I hope it feels as good as it looks in the promo. For me the only thing LG has left to nail is the camera upgrades, pricing and availability. The last one is a biggie cause right now the rumors are mid November (16th) for the actual release. I don't think LG has the luxury of taking that long. It's a stretch even for a huge fan like me and depending on the pricing for the regular Pixel 3 and how much features they can add to the single camera like stereo recording, they might have one less customer.

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
It's a stretch even for a huge fan like me and depending on the pricing for the regular Pixel 3 and how much features they can add to the single camera like stereo recording, they might have one less customer.

While faster upgrades with the Pixel 3 are nice, the lack of the headphone jack (not to mention the DAC} make it a "no starter" for me.

I was excited to compare the V40 to the Oneplus 6T but now that it has been announced that it will not a headphone jack, it is off the list too.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
While faster upgrades with the Pixel 3 are nice, the lack of the headphone jack (not to mention the DAC} make it a "no starter" for me.

I was excited to compare the V40 to the Oneplus 6T but now that it has been announced that it will not a headphone jack, it is off the list too.
I know that's why I've kinda been locked into the LG V line but I could get by just as well with a nice pair of Bluetooth headphones of premium quality. I'm also disappointed that Google's staying put with one lens but depending on how much they were able to do with software it might tip the scales for me. At the very least if they included stereo recording this year like the iPhones it will be a very strong consideration for me and I'm feeling like the price of the Pixel 3 will be in Samsung Galaxy S9 category which is to say very reasonable. If LG gets their pricing right I'll wait another month for the V40 though no doubt.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site

I was just reading about the glass back texture. I don't know, I think new phone season is getting to me. Everything phone related I read I feel a bit giddy. I'm happy with my V30 but then I'm like "5 cameras! Silky glass back!" Lol

It happens every year. Do I need it? No. Will I get it? Probably.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I was just reading about the glass back texture. I don't know, I think new phone season is getting to me. Everything phone related I read I feel a bit giddy. I'm happy with my V30 but then I'm like "5 cameras! Silky glass back!" Lol

Lol I was that way with the V20 actually until I started having complications with stability and random reboots. Much improved from the bootlooping doomsday the V10 was but still sucked that I had problems with it in the end.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
LG is getting me excited and I like what they're doing.
58f25a1bf9c3008def9c8395b6b79777.jpg

I signed up for the latest news.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Here are official teaser photos of it. Looks like a G7 and V30. There's a triple camera setup. The back glass will have a matte finish, which never has been done (I think) which should help with the annoying fingerprints, and look cool.

https://9to5google.com/2018/09/27/lg-v40-thinq-matte-glass-display-camera/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C6rhsBjjeiA

lg_v40_thinq_carmine_red_4.jpg

Will I get it? I think it's time for me to upgrade from the V20, it's been 2 years now. I can definitely make the V20 last many more years and I'm still keeping it as a "side kick" phone, but I really need better camera performance, especially in low light, and especially since I use my camera phone for work. 6.4 inch is huge and good, but I don't think it'll be physically bigger than the V20.. it will be mostly screen. I don't really have high hopes for two things: the camera (vs. Pixel 2 & 3) and fast updates... but LG has always provided stellar hardware and is packed with features which I'm fine with (I really need that wide angle camera, esp. for work). I'll be upgrading.. not ready for that pricetag though (Not sure, expecting $900-1000, I hope not). The V30 wasn't that good in terms of how different it was from the V20, but a triple camera setup is definitely a selling point (three rear, two front).

Last edited:

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Here are official teaser photos of it. Looks like a G7 and V30. There's a triple camera setup. The back glass will have a matte finish, which never has been done (I think) which should help with the annoying fingerprints, and look cool.

https://9to5google.com/2018/09/27/lg-v40-thinq-matte-glass-display-camera/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C6rhsBjjeiA

View attachment 291311

Will I get it? I think it's time for me to upgrade from the V20, it's been 2 years now. I can definitely make the V20 last many more years and I'm still keeping it as a "side kick" phone, but I really need better camera performance, especially in low light, and especially since I use my camera phone for work. 6.4 inch is huge and good, but I don't think it'll be physically bigger than the V20.. it will be mostly screen. I don't really have high hopes for two things: the camera (vs. Pixel 2 & 3) and fast updates... but LG has always provided stellar hardware and is packed with features which I'm fine with (I really need that wide angle camera, esp. for work). I'll be upgrading.. not ready for that pricetag though (Not sure, expecting $900-1000, I hope not). The V30 wasn't that good in terms of how different it was from the V20, but a triple camera setup is definitely a selling point (three rear, two front).

Looks very nice! Can't wait to see what it looks like from the front!

And yeah, that kind of a pricetag is probably what we're going to see. It's unfortunate but that seems to be what high-end flagships are selling for nowadays. :(

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Looks very nice! Can't wait to see what it looks like from the front!

And yeah, that kind of a pricetag is probably what we're going to see. It's unfortunate but that seems to be what high-end flagships are selling for nowadays. :(
Yes and that might turn me to the V30 if it's above $900. That's as far as I'm willing to go.

joewoo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I personally think the new high price on all the top their phones is for suckers... Every time they very quickly do some deal where it's $200 off that price... Or the fact that many more people are trading in 1 yr old devices to upgrade to knock the price down...

$800+ is for the suckers that have to have the latest the first...

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

I'd prefer less breakable plastic. I use a case so I don't care what it feels like

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa