V40 or OnePlus 6T

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
IDK, I thought the haptics were terrible on my G6, it's one of the things that drove me nuts and made me switch to a pixel 2. Half the time they didn't work so you would get no feedback.

I've played with the 6T on three separate occasions at three different stores and it seemed fine. I love a lot of what the V40 offers but I don't think it's worth $340 more than the 6T.

They improved it with the V40. The G6 was not a good phone at all.. camera was below mediocre and specs were weak. Try it at a retail store.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I will, one way or the other. I'd be upgrading from the S8 and I've got the itch. After seeing the V40, I love the idea of throwing Nova on that phone, having had several LG phones. But the S10 looms large for me.

Honestly, I wish LG would put their P-OLED on the G8. I prefer a smaller device.

The V40 is much easier to use one handed, now that they narrowed the screen down.. (more narrow than the V20 and V30). I honestly think the mLCD+ looks absolutely amazing on the G7 compared to the P-OLED on the V40 IMO... plus it has ultra bright mode and it just looks sharper overall. The S8 is still a beast of a phone.. though missing a lot of fun features.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
T-Mobile is supposed to be doing its Magenta Friday soon, in which supposedly they're going to be offering some good deals on all their flagship devices...

I'm really into my V40 and I'm glad I upgraded from the V20. although I'm still a little intrigued by the 6T, I might just "pop in" during their Magenta Friday and see what kind of deal their offering on the 6T. I'm definitely sticking with the V40, no doubt about that, but maybe I can play around with the 6T for a bit....

If the price is right then maybe my mom is getting a new phone for Xmas lol. Her Galaxy S6 is getting a little long in the tooth lol.

I didn't know OnePlus sells in retail stores.. BTW OnePlus no longer has the headphone jack.. and that notch looks very weird IMO.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Then you're lucky, since a lot of the reviews state they have those issues. It's a common occurrence with edge only adhesive screen protectors to have those issues. Sure T-Mobile's accessories are expensive, but I paid for what I wanted, a full glue screen protector to avoid wasting money on a crappy one. They even wasted two screen protectors trying to install them since they couldn't get a good alignment the first two times. It's the most expensive tempered glass I've ever bought and I'd buy it again.

You should have waited until reviews came in. The best screen protectors on Amazon is the Poetic brand and the Glass M brand. Both under $12 and includes lifetime warranty (better deal than the store). I love the Glass M brand, works well.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Okay Trump. I buy inexpensive screen protectors as well, except when they aren't full adhesive like the one you mentioned earlier. If it only has glue around the border it's a hard pass. I don't want touch sensitivity issues or rainbow effect. Glad it works for you, but I'd rather pay extra for full adhesive.

[2 Pack] GLASS-M LG V40 ThinQ Tempered Glass Screen Protector, Ultra Clear, Scratch Resistant, Bubble Free, Anti-Fingerprint Screen Protector Film, 9H Hardness, Case Friendly Premium Protection Shield https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HRJFCL...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6396660

jmssarno

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
I didn't know OnePlus sells in retail stores.. BTW OnePlus no longer has the headphone jack.. and that notch looks very weird IMO.

Yes, T-Mobile is selling the One Plus 6T throughout their retail outlets and on their website. They are only selling one version, the gloss black one.

I'm very happy with my V40 and I'm glad I went with it over the 6T.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
They improved it with the V40. The G6 was not a good phone at all.. camera was below mediocre and specs were weak. Try it at a retail store.
IDK if the G6 was that bad. I mostly liked it and kind of wish I hadn't spent the money on my Pixel 2. That said I will try out typing on the V40 before I buy the 6T just to be sure. However unless the price drops a lot in a deal the next couple weeks on the V40 I will have a hard time justifying it.

jmssarno

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
IDK if the G6 was that bad. I mostly liked it and kind of wish I hadn't spent the money on my Pixel 2. That said I will try out typing on the V40 before I buy the 6T just to be sure. However unless the price drops a lot in a deal the next couple weeks on the V40 I will have a hard time justifying it.

I don't know about other carriers but TMobile was offering $250 bill credit for my V20 when purchasing the V40. Which essentially will make my V40 $670.

I'm sure there will be plenty of deals leading up to and on Black Friday & Cyber Monday for the V40. If you can't find any deal that satisfy you then the 6T will be the way go. Either way you won't lose, both devices are excellent.

Happy Deal Hunting lol

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I don't know about other carriers but TMobile was offering $250 bill credit for my V20 when purchasing the V40. Which essentially will make my V40 $670.

I'm sure there will be plenty of deals leading up to and on Black Friday & Cyber Monday for the V40. If you can't find any deal that satisfy you then the 6T will be the way go. Either way you won't lose, both devices are excellent.

Happy Deal Hunting lol
Yeah I could have gotten $360 for my Pixel 2 towards the Note 9 or V40 but I wanted to wait to see what the 6T brought to the table. Even the $300 trade in for the 6T wasn't enough for me to trade this Pixel 2 in though as it's only a few months old. It's a good device I just want a bigger screen mostly.

We shall see what happens.

benjamin19

Trusted Member
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Yes, T-Mobile is selling the One Plus 6T throughout their retail outlets and on their website. They are only selling one version, the gloss black one.

I'm very happy with my V40 and I'm glad I went with it over the 6T.
How is the battery turned out? Is it getting you through the full day without any topping? A lot of reviewers didn't think it was going to be enough, but wireless charging was meant to give you a little charger throughout the day so I didn't figure it would be so issue, just curious.

jmssarno

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
How is the battery turned out? Is it getting you through the full day without any topping? A lot of reviewers didn't think it was going to be enough, but wireless charging was meant to give you a little charger throughout the day so I didn't figure it would be so issue, just curious.

I really can't complain, I'm averaging anywhere from 5 to 6.5 hours of SOT, depending on usage (Social Media, YouTube, 4K content, Texting, Email, etc.) To be honest I didn't think the battery would last me all day but so far it does. I hadn't had to top it off yet...

It also helps that I keep screen resolution in the middle (2349x1080) I only use high resolution (3120x1440) when viewing 4K content, once done I revert back. Doing that in conjunction with dark themes, dark wallpapers, etc, help with the battery life.

So far it lasts me all day. When I usually charge it at night it's anywhere from 20-28% depending on my usage.

Bl00dRunzC0ld

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
He's right, you don't need "name brand" screen protectors.. there are many "generic" screen protectors on Amazon and they work good.. just gotta look up the reviews. I really like the Glass M brand I got on Amazon for $12 (included 2 screen protectors and lifetime warranty). I think T-Mobile has their own screen protector but it costs around $40. I know Best Buy rips people off with screen protectors, selling the Zagg glass screen protector for like $35 or more.. ($25 for the wet install version). Thing is, people buy them at the store but it's cheaper to buy it on your own... these things come from China.

When I bought mine there were none on Amazon besides the crappy ones.

Bl00dRunzC0ld

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Just buy one off swappa.

Greymire

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
My battery life is as good as it was on my V30

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
So I was going to pick up the 6T this week but now T-Mobile has dropped the price on the V40 to $720 and I'm wondering if the V40 offer enough extras to make it worth the extra $120. Headphone jack is a luxury, I don't really use it when I have had it. However the camera versatility is what I'm looking at. It seems like the 6T is solid but the wide and telephoto are nice bonuses.

middbrew

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
So I was going to pick up the 6T this week but now T-Mobile has dropped the price on the V40 to $720 and I'm wondering if the V40 offer enough extras to make it worth the extra $120. Headphone jack is a luxury, I don't really use it when I have had it. However the camera versatility is what I'm looking at. It seems like the 6T is solid but the wide and telephoto are nice bonuses.

Get what you won't regret getting.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Get what you won't regret getting.
That's the problem. I think while the V40 has a a lot of nice features and it will be perfectly fine. I think the raw power of the 6T with the customizations Oxygen OS offers will make for a nice experience. Plus again, $140 price difference.

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
That's the problem. I think while the V40 has a a lot of nice features and it will be perfectly fine. I think the raw power of the 6T with the customizations Oxygen OS offers will make for a nice experience. Plus again, $140 price difference.

I've handled a 6T at my Tmo store and it is a nice piece of kit. You said in an earlier post that music was not that important to you so that negates the lack of headphone jack and DAC on the 6T.

An OS skin is a skin. Some of the skin features on my V40 I like, some I don't. I'm sure I would have the same experience with any skin. The real challenge is OS updates and the only way to get the fastest updates (without rooting) is a Pixel from Google. If you have a carrier phone, you will wait longer. How much longer will depend on the phone manufacturer AND the carrier.

Based on your lack of need for music and your discussions on pricing, it seems to me that the priority in your decision making process is cost. If this is correct, go with the 6T. If this is not correct, look at your priorities for a new phone and go with it.

If the 6T had a headphone jack, I would probably have gone for it. The window of holiday savings won't be open long.