Where is LG?

VoodooMagnetman

May 24, 2017
Visit site
I have the V30S and my wife's Galaxy S7 has been getting long in the tooth, so last weekend we went to a couple Verizon stores and Best Buy. She likes my LG V30S and wanted to go see the G7 and V40. So, headed out and the Verizon stores just had Apple, Samsung, and the Pixel phone. No LG. Went to Best Buy and again no LG phones whatsoever. Asked and they said LG doesn't even try to sell their phones there, while Samsung and Apple pay Best Buy to sell their products and phones there. Is LG even trying to sell their phones? People want to see and touch new phones. You have to have display units for people to compare and physical products to buy and take home. After a couple disastrous years of mobile sales, you'd think LG would learn, but obviously they continue to make the same mistakes and now you can't even find LG phones in most retailers. It's really too bad. LG has some great and innovative phones that really get overlooked. I have been a fan since the G2 and the incorporation of the quad DAC, high end audio, and the wide angle camera has really kept me coming back to LG phones. I really hope that LG, and more specifically LG's retail and marketing divisions for their phones, get their **** together and promote and place their products with retailers. Even the LG forums aren't what they used to be and pretty deserted compared to older LG forums. Otherwise, I really think LG will exit the phone game and then a great phone maker will be no more. Oh, and by the way, my wife ended up getting a new Samsung Note 9. It's all about visability and accessibility when buying new phones for most people.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I have Tmobile, went to a TMO store to check out the sale on the OnePlus6T and ended up buying a LG V40. They had several LG models in store working / demos.
If you went to Verizon and they didnt have any sounds like Verizon is pushing the products they want you to buy.
Best buy on the other hand is a typical retail outlet selling space to Apple, Microsoft, Samsung and others. I am an educated consumer and i choose what i want to buy, i do my research and dont let the stores tell me or influence me. Previously i was an HTC guy, then HTC started to let me down, i got on the Samsung Bandwagon. But my perfectly working S7 edge suffered a huge performance blow when Samsung released a software update. After that i decided to give another device a try, OnePlus6T seemed ok to me but doing my research and seeing the V40 go on sale it fit my needs even better. So lets hope LG makes a good product and sticks with regular software updates. IF not ill vote with my wallet which phone gets my money.

magia21

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I have Tmobile, went to a TMO store to check out the sale on the OnePlus6T and ended up buying a LG V40. They had several LG models in store working / demos.
If you went to Verizon and they didnt have any sounds like Verizon is pushing the products they want you to buy.
Best buy on the other hand is a typical retail outlet selling space to Apple, Microsoft, Samsung and others. I am an educated consumer and i choose what i want to buy, i do my research and dont let the stores tell me or influence me. Previously i was an HTC guy, then HTC started to let me down, i got on the Samsung Bandwagon. But my perfectly working S7 edge suffered a huge performance blow when Samsung released a software update. After that i decided to give another device a try, OnePlus6T seemed ok to me but doing my research and seeing the V40 go on sale it fit my needs even better. So lets hope LG makes a good product and sticks with regular software updates. IF not ill vote with my wallet which phone gets my money.

What was the sale TMO had on the V40? How much was it for you?

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I paid $750 about a month or two ago.
Down from the $900+ it was originally at.

I went to 2 TMO stores. First one had the original price up. I went online and saw it on sale, went to a second TMo store and they had it right.
I paid 150 down in store and 30 a month/24 months.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I can't speak currently, but I worked at Verizon until 2016 and we sold almost exclusively Apple/Samsung. Under contract in order to sell the iPhone we were required to have live models on display, and they sold themselves. Approximately half of sales revenue came from iPhone.

Samsung had reps that actively visited the stores and promoted products while providing training. Samsung picked one or two Verizon employees per store to be a Samsung Advocate and push their products in exchange for free merchandise. Literally every time the new S or Note launched, advocate got it for free(had to return when new one launched) smart watches got for free and could keep, tons of accessories like battery packs and cases for free in exchange for recommending Samsung.

They provided online training courses for all employees with rewards upon completion, when a new phone was announced the Samsung rep would come demo it and teach us about all the new features to prepare us for preorders. On launch day the Samsung employee would be present in the store.

If all that wasn't enough, we got paid better commissions on Samsung to further push us to recommend them.

LG, HTC, and others quickly vanished from our shelves and we didn't even bother keeping them in stock.

VoodooMagnetman

May 24, 2017
Visit site
This is what I'm talking about. LG really doesn't seem to care or want to sell phones, at least in the US. Verizon is the biggest telecom in the US market and LG isn't even trying to sell or market phones through them.
For a lot of people not living in big cities, Verizon is the only wireless option or the best for service available. So for those people, and for most people not woke on what is out there, they're probably buying a Samsung phone or iPhone.
My problem is that there is lots of other great phones out there, especially LG's latest phones. So why isn't LG marketing and pushing their phones through Verizon, best buy, ect...? So, is LG just run horribly or is it just negligence to their mobile side of their business?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
This is what I'm talking about. LG really doesn't seem to care or want to sell phones, at least in the US. Verizon is the biggest telecom in the US market and LG isn't even trying to sell or market phones through them.
For a lot of people not living in big cities, Verizon is the only wireless option or the best for service available. So for those people, and for most people not woke on what is out there, they're probably buying a Samsung phone or iPhone.
My problem is that there is lots of other great phones out there, especially LG's latest phones. So why isn't LG marketing and pushing their phones through Verizon, best buy, ect...? So, is LG just run horribly or is it just negligence to their mobile side of their business?

Short answer: marketing costs money and the ROI may not be worthwhile for them based on past performance.

The mobile division just isn't their bread and butter.

Chromium 4

May 28, 2017
Visit site
Short answer: marketing costs money and the ROI may not be worthwhile for them based on past performance.

The mobile division just isn't their bread and butter.

Yeah it's a shame that LG's mobile division will be going the way of the dodo bird. I've had several LGs over the years: the bargain basement Leon, the G4, the V20 and now the V40. All of my past LGs proved to be good phones that performed well and lasted. I escaped the whole boot loop debacle with the G4 and my V20 made the transition from Nougat to Oreo without skipping a beat. My sister inherited the Leon after she turned her last phone into a toilet U-boat and it's still alive and kicking. I hope to get the same level of long term service out of this V40. Between QA problems, inadequate marketing strategies and history of untimely updates, it is only a matter of time before their smartphone unit closes shop. If only LG would go back to their roots and stop trying to be
a Samsung/Apple clone.