Rooted wifi hotspot and usb tether

sandraabsent

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Any thoughts on getting these to work? I am rooted and using WiFi Tether from the market. Problem is my laptop connects with no issues, but my Roku player wont connect. On my Nexus S 4G I never had an issue using built in tether. Right now when i try to enable either of these, I get an error message saying this service is not available with my plan. I was understanding that rooting fixed this, or is there a file that needs to be altered?

sandraabsent

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Wifi Tether and Barnacle were working fine but in adhoc mode. To connect to devices such as roku and x-box you need to be in infrastructure mode.

I got this to work with a little work-around. To force infrastructure mode i took the following steps.

1. Using Wifi Tether for root users.
2. in settings change the device profile to "LG Optimus S"
3. change the setup-method to "Netd (master)"

it will start the connection and you will get a blocked by carrier message. go ahead and hit ok and just ignore it. once you see your 3g connection resumed, your all set go ahead and have fun connecting your device!

sandraabsent

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Yea foxifi did nothing for me, couldnt even get a connection running with it. I needed to be able to run in infrastructure mode in order to be able to use my ruku box on my televsion. If adhoc is fine for you, either wifi tether for root users or barnacle for root are the best. just needed a little tweaking to force the connection into infrastructure mode. The great thing is now we know the phones hardware supports it!