Updating the phone to ICS and booting into recovery.

anon(963605)

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Now I see a lot of people who haven't got the update because they can't figure out how to get the update on to their phones. Now all you have to do is download the update.zip from the already stickied forum saying Install ICS direction and copy and paste it to the root of your sd card. Meaning right when you look at the files in your phone don't go into any folders just paste it. Now to put it into recovery we can do this the easy way... or the easy sorta hard way.
BTW: The Easy sorta Hard way is a faster method you just have to know how to do it.

Easy Way:
1) Turn the phone off.
2) Hold the power button and hold both volume keys.
3) Wait for the LG Logo.
4) Let go of the power button.
5) On the screen you should see a 4 options.
6) Use the volume keys to go to to the one that says something about update.zip.
7) Press the home key.
8) Use the volume keys to go to update.zip
9) Press the home key.
10) Wait for a while and it should reboot
11) Celebrate!

Easy sorta Hard way:
1) Download the Android Sdk.
2) Now open cmd.
3) Go to your installation of the android sdk.
4) Find the adb.exe file.
5) Now in terminal type "adb reboot recovery" without the quotation marks.
6) Follow 6 - 11 on the easy way and you're done.

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I still haven't got the update pushed to my phone, kinda sad.
So I tried this method, and while my phone was updating it said something Iike "failed ...jd.jh467gdwy.dyfynj57654..etc" can't remember exactly.
I'll upload a screen shot when possible.
Man, I just want ICS!

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Hmm you could just grab adb and put it in your windows directory ie. C:Windows.

That way you don't have to download the whole SDK, and it'll run straight from cmd without changing directories.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Easy Way:
1) Turn the phone off.
2) Hold the power button and hold both volume keys.
3) Wait for the LG Logo.
4) Let go of the power button.
5) On the screen you should see a 4 options.
6) Use the volume keys to go to to the one that says something about update.zip.
7) Press the home key.
8) Use the volume keys to go to update.zip
9) Press the home key.
10) Wait for a while and it should reboot
11) Celebrate!

Doesn't seem to work on my viper

anon(963605)

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't seem to work on my viper

Yeah, I heard that way of going into recovery doesn't work. If you search google for a adb file in cmd cd to that directory and put "adb reboot recovery" in it. If that doesn't work. I can try skyping you and show you my computer doing it, if that'll help.

anon(963605)

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Sorry I forgot to mention windows needs another dependency from the SDK for adb to work I can't think of it off the top of my head.

BTW the windows directory is where all of command prompts actual commands are stored, so if you put adv there it will run straight from C:

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
If it were that easy, I think Tommy would have pointed it out.

I did the ADB way and it was fine, not hard, but a bit annoying.

Sent from my Viper 4G

tommyjoesanders

May 2, 2012
Visit site
so is this a replacement for the update.zip?

just download it . that the official update from google server. when the download is complete. find the file highlight it and then right click it and find rename in your choices and just type update in lowercase letters only and then you have the file too add too your sd card and then use adb reboot recovery and your phone will reboot in recovery. you can read the guide how too install ics manual for all your directions if your lost on what too do with the file

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
just download it . that the official update from google server. when the download is complete. find the file highlight it and then right click it and find rename in your choices and just type update in lowercase letters only and then you have the file too add too your sd card and then use adb reboot recovery and your phone will reboot in recovery. you can read the guide how too install ics manual for all your directions if your lost on what too do with the file

ok so i did that with the new file and i still get the same thing as last time

this is what my phone saysView attachment 44978

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
no i did not...do you have a link to that?

also since that last post i just rerooted my phone because i was trying a solution that didnt work

EDIT
nevermind i found it, and im doing that now