Invalid credit card market help

j7469

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Whenever I try to purchase an app where the the price is listed in British pounds, I always get an invalid credit card error message. But buying any app listed in US dollars is just fine. I have an AMEX stored in my google checkout if that matters.

Thanks for the help.

Hardcase

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Wow, thanks for the tip about American Express. I was about ready to chuck the whole thing in the trash. Darn frustrating. I tried many, many times to use an Amex and it wouldn't take it. My Visa worked. What is the story behind Amex not working on accounts with foreign currency charges? I use primarily use an Amex for work and home.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Wow, thanks for the tip about American Express. I was about ready to chuck the whole thing in the trash. Darn frustrating. I tried many, many times to use an Amex and it wouldn't take it. My Visa worked. What is the story behind Amex not working on accounts with foreign currency charges? I use primarily use an Amex for work and home.

I don't know, but I almost pulled my hair out trying to figure it out when I first got my phone. I found a post in the Google groups forums saying that Amex didn't work for foreign currency transactions.

Hardcase

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I don't know, but I almost pulled my hair out trying to figure it out when I first got my phone. I found a post in the Google groups forums saying that Amex didn't work for foreign currency transactions.

Thanks for the reply! I found the same post later and used a Visa to complete the transaction. It worked. It seems this is a fairly annoying flaw in Google Checkout. There are a lot of programs with Euros listed. Fortunately, I had a backup Visa. But, this was a program for work and I would normally prefer to use my work Amex.

On a side note, it would be nice if the Market would convert currency to US at checkout (based on one's country preferences). It didn't even convert the amount in the confirmation e-mail, still listed Euros. I'm all for the Europeans having a common currency, but my employer wants to know how much they are spending in dollars!

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Yeah I totally agree with everything you said, and my employer has the same requirements making it difficult to expense these types of programs.