Anyone "brick" their Zio updating to 2.2 OTA?

xliengen

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Yesterday I got a notification on my Zio that Android 2.2 was available (released 2/21/11) and to follow the prompts to download/install it. The download and install was a 3 part process, and after the 3rd time it restarted, it never came back on properly, I have no options but to look at a blank screen.

I brought it to a Sprint service center, and after an hour they let me know that they need to order a replacement... And I am out of a phone until they "call me" (I call them).

In the mean time, I've been searching for threads for this update, but I haven't found any so far (failures, or reviews).

Looking for button combinations, I've found a couple to access modes

Holding down "Vol Up" and "End/Power" keys when booting will give a message "Updating phone software" and show a progress bar that goes to 100% but returns to a black screen.

Holding "Vol Down" and "End/Power" keys when booting will go to the "Android system recovery" screen and offer choices "reboot system now", "wipe data/factory reset", and "wipe cache partition". The recovery rom seems to be missing or not available.

Holding "Vol Up", "Talk", "Trackball" and "Power/END" gives you the "FASTBOOT!!" screen.

Holding "Vol Down", "Talk", "Trackball" and "Power/END" gives you the "FASTBOOT!!" screen again, but it used to give me another option. (?)

Has anyone had this issue, or has experience with an OTA update from 2.1 to 2.2 failing? Links and tips are much appreciated!

JDubTrey

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I know someone who got the OTA, but it was successful.

She said that the phone is slightly faster but it doesn't have the wifi tether or flash, as far as she can tell.

Sorry to hear about your experience.

jmyles

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Same problem!

Same problem here - I've seen it on other forums too. I'm on Credo Mobile, which uses Sprint's air. This is ridiculous. If I have to send my phone back for this to be fixed, it will certainly be the end of my relationship with Sprint / Credo.

Does nobody have the boot / system image files for this phone? Sprint / Credo need to provide them now - they've obviously messed this update up.

LilbigJohn

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
an Additional key combo

I did the OTA update on the Cricket Network this morning and my phone is doing the same thing. i left it on the blank screen from three until 6:30 with the hopes that there would be some silent component to the install. nope just a bricked POS!

xliengen

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Update: I got my replacement Zio from sprint today, and immediately did the update. It completed successfully, and so far so good! I am just glad to have a working phone again... I hope that you all get replacements or get yours fixed.

Good luck everyone

EDIT: Just got a text today (3/1/11) from sprint to visit sprint.com/zioupdate and follow the instructions to update their Zio. I hope you all get updated without any fuss!

Last edited:

doctordawg

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
My phone started the OTA update, completely finished, then said there was an error updating. It now gives me an android.process error and refuses to boot properly, just loops on and off. All these updates stating USB modes and Application menus are worthless unless you can boot. Is there no way to just hook up a Zio to USB and dump a restore OS into it, or load a restore OS onto the SD card and boot load it without fully booting the phone? I can get to Android system recovery holding down hardware keys, but to no avail.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo