Craig CMP741e 7" Android ICS beginner tablet thoughts

power5

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I have seen this tablet mentioned a few times. I saw a thread on [H] mentioning it was on clearance at CVS. I went in and picked one up thinking it would be good for my daughters. Bought it at lunch. Charged it to full. Unplugged when I was heading out to pick them up. I installed some of their favorite games, angry birds, cut the rope, etc. I also wanted it as a video player for myself and for them on trips. Well they loved it in the car. Had no problems playing AB. When they got home they actually took turns playing with it. After about 3 hours it was getting close to bed time and I was just about to tell them to turn it off. Well the young one came to me and said, "Dad, its broke." I was hoping it was just dead. Turns out she dropped it on the bathroom floor and the digitizer broke. After messing with it trying to get touch to still work I gave up. Thought to myself that I should just plug in a USB mouse and see what happens. It worked obviously. So then I pulled it apart and took the digitizer off. Was very easy. Very weak attachment to the screen around the edge. Put it back together and it works as a mini AIO computer now. Sucks that I cannot charge and use it at the same time though. Will see if a USB splitter will allow it.

So anyway. Reached out to Craig about purchasing a new digitizer just to see if it would even be worth trying to fix. Have not heard back from them even though they have the same typical BS on their website about customer service being the highest priority of theirs.

So I brought it into work today to do some testing. Downloaded some more apps. Trying to find a battery app that puts the battery % on the task bar or whatever its called in android land. Notification bar??? Have not found one yet. Anyway. Hit up youtube to watch a movie over wifi. Worked really good. So this makes me sorta happy. However, with nothing but wifi and youtube running I let the full 2hour movie (6th day, was the first one that came up when I searched for movie :) ) play and the battery went from 88% to 32%. Roughly 50% battery drain from a single movie. Going to drain it to 0% again. Happened last night as well while watching a movie over my network. So just going to play the same movie again. Will see if I can get through it before shutdown. All it all this is a decent unit in my eyes. Yeah it shows some serious lag at times, but that is expected for its specs. In the end its for my daughters. I am going to play with this broken one some more to see if its worth buying another knowing how fragile the digitizer was. Will have to see if I can find a bumper kit to protect it a bit more. At $53 OTD its really hard to convince myself to get something more expensive for my 4 & 5 year olds.

So few questions as a first time android user. With nothing running does my battery life sound normal? Battery had 3200mAh written on it. This is a A13 CPU w/ 1gb ram on a 7" 800x480 screen. I am going to do a couple more battery full cycles. How many are typically needed to get a good battery calibration?

What are some good apps that I need to have? This does not have GAPPS so I will be trying my hand at rooting this device. I thought I read that it was rooted already, so I will have to do some more digging to find out what is needed to get GAPPS on this unit.

Who else has one of these cheapies?

power5

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Okay second movie only made it half way.

Is this typical for a 3200mAh battery? N7 has a 4200mAh battery on a higher res screen and a much more powerful CPU/GPU.

Edit: Will also say that the case of this device is very very cheap. I have not had it but a few days and the finish is scratched to hell. Some of that may be due to pulling it apart, who knows. But regardless the plastic feels very cheap. But thats to be expected I guess.

Last edited:

Frankinstein Homer

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I have the same device and nothing is working on it and it also displays itself as an unknown device for the google play store. The craig electronics never answer there and I can't find updates for it on there web site:(