Step counting with Moto360

vmmatty

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm curious what others have experienced when trying to use the Moto360 as a step counter. I have it paired with a Galaxy Note 4 that uses S Health for step tracking and it's interesting to see how far off these two are in terms of step counts.

For example, at the end of most days I notice that S Health and the Moto 360 are off by thousands of steps. I've compared S Health to my Fitbit (before it broke) and they were usually within a few hundred steps of each other at most. With the Moto 360 I will get 8,500 steps on S Health and 5,000 on the Moto 360.

I don't have Google Fit installed on my phone but I'm not sure if that is really required. I just want it to accurately count steps and it looks like it is nowhere near accurate.

Anyone else see this too?

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I regularly go on a 30 minute walk everyday. Even if the weather is crappy outside, I just walk inside my house for 30 minutes. The way it's laid out I can walk around the entire downstairs and it takes about 63 steps to do that. So one day I decided to go on my walk in my house and count my steps and then compare it to what my moto 360 showed. I walk rather briskly, so I counted 3431 steps. My moto 360 counted 3218. I was actually surprised how close it was. That's acceptable to me. I use my moto 360 paired with my 2013 Moto X using google fit.

Posted via Android Central App from a beautiful Ebony backed Original Moto X or the amazing Nexus 10

alienlandingpad

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
My first '360 was pretty close to my fitbit, within 10%, reliably. I had it for six months or so and I walk extensively, and run. My second has not been so reliable (this was a replacement for the initial one which got a cracked back) Walking works fine, but running, it does not. My first trip out, I got zero steps in 3 miles (review of my experience here). Yesterday, in 3 miles I got about 1800 steps, it should have been more than double that. So, it's a crapshoot. Those of you not getting good results in step counts, I recommend going in for service, It does not take that long (see my story I linked above).

auburngirl

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
My understanding is the S Health does not work with the 360. I am pretty sure S Health only works with the Samsung Smart Watches or just tracks the movement of your phone (not the watch).

I have a S6, and use Google Fit or just the Moto Step Count. Neither app is awesome, but I have hope they will slowly improve Fit.

Blacklac

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
I havent got my 360 yet, but from my experience, S Health is far from accurate. I could count out my steps and notice S Health was ~30% more. My Note 4 also consistently counted 10-20% more than my Lumia 1520.

Posted via the Android Central App

albie999

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I seem to be having issues with my moto 360 and phone. It seems as if the steps are being picked up buy the phone and not the Mot 360. Showing only 126 steps so far, and know I have done far more than that. Checked the permission on the 360 for Fit and it is showng as sensors and location enabled

What settings are you supposed to have one within the Google Fit App on the phone. Mine had activity detection, body sensor and high accurancy switched on. It is seeming like to me that it just is not recording anything from the 360

All help appreciated

sfringer

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I seem to be having issues with my moto 360 and phone. It seems as if the steps are being picked up buy the phone and not the Mot 360. Showing only 126 steps so far, and know I have done far more than that. Checked the permission on the 360 for Fit and it is showng as sensors and location enabled

What settings are you supposed to have one within the Google Fit App on the phone. Mine had activity detection, body sensor and high accurancy switched on. It is seeming like to me that it just is not recording anything from the 360

All help appreciated

I encountered a similar issue after upgrading my gen 1 Moto 360 to 6.0. I reached out to the Google Fit team, and they indicated I needed to launch Moto Body and accept permission requests for Moto Body (even though I have no intention of using Moto Body). This corrected Google Fit on my Moto 360 not counting steps.

albie999

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I encountered a similar issue after upgrading my gen 1 Moto 360 to 6.0. I reached out to the Google Fit team, and they indicated I needed to launch Moto Body and accept permission requests for Moto Body (even though I have no intention of using Moto Body). This corrected Google Fit on my Moto 360 not counting steps.

Excellent .. I will have a go at that. Were you then able to disable the Moto Body sensors afterwards?

sfringer

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Excellent .. I will have a go at that. Were you then able to disable the Moto Body sensors afterwards?

I've had to leave permissions in place for Moto Body to access the sensors. I have disabled any notifications for Moto Body, and I haven't launched it since.

albie999

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Have you left the Moto Body : App Enabled in the settings, or just the sensors in the System Permissions. have you found any worse battery drain?

sfringer

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Have you left the Moto Body : App Enabled in the settings, or just the sensors in the System Permissions. have you found any worse battery drain?

I left the app enabled and have noted no noticeable impact to battery life.

With that said, I have just disabled Moto Body and will see if there is any change.

albie999

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
And disabling Moto Body did not seem to impact step count at this time.

Well for some reason my step counter has stopped working again. Today, only showing 29 steps, thats because my phone is on my desk. Re-enabled all the sensors in Moto Body, but even Moto Body is not showing any Steps ????

sfringer

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Well for some reason my step counter has stopped working again. Today, only showing 29 steps, thats because my phone is on my desk. Re-enabled all the sensors in Moto Body, but even Moto Body is not showing any Steps ????

That's a bummer. Step counting on the 360 has always seemed hit or miss - it works until it stops, and then you try all sorts of odd actions and if lucky it starts counting again. (But you're never quite sure what rectified the issue.)

mouthpiec

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
hi,
do you manage to get HR with google fit?
Moto Body seems to take a couple of HR readings every 15mins, Google Fit take a reading every 5mins (which can be viewed from the watch, in Google Fit app scrolling down) but these values are not being uploaded to Google Fit so that I can view them from the web or mobile app.

Also in Fit Activity, there is no HR monitoring :(

My intention is to disable Moto Body but I would like to disable it once the above are all achieved by Fit

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez