Moto G - Charge when powered off?

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Can I use my Nexus 4 charger to charge my Wife's Moto G (GSM-international version)?

120 volts same as USA (Dominican Republic)

Yes indeed. Especially since Moto didn't see fit to include a $2 charger of their own. You know, they just wouldn't make ANY money on the G if they'd included that $2 charger.

g2

Last edited:

smartiekins

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I really don't see what the big deal is with not including a charger.
For me I've got enough of them already from other devices etc that I am more than happy to not have another bit of junk lying around. It was hardly a deal breaker for me, and its not as though they aren't easily purchased!

(Also, apple iPods and some kindles used to come with just a USB cable... And it hasn't exactly hurt their sales! )

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I really don't see what the big deal is with not including a charger.
For me I've got enough of them already from other devices etc that I am more than happy to not have another bit of junk lying around. It was hardly a deal breaker for me, and its not as though they aren't easily purchased!

(Also, apple iPods and some kindles used to come with just a USB cable... And it hasn't exactly hurt their sales! )

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Most people won't care.

CM on OgPro

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
You'll have to forgive me. I really need to get through my thick skull that some are actually looking for the lowest cost devices and by excluding accessories Moto so better able to answer that market. They may have been able to increase their profit by leaving out the USB cable as well.

g2

OR, they understand that most people by now have some sort of charger and we don't continually need additional ones cluttering up the house. This works out especially well for me because in addition to the Moto G, I also ordered a Moto X that did come with a charger (and two USB slots). So I can charge both phones at the same time. Win/win.

BootlegZani

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
A partial answer: this only happens with USB wall chargers from Apple [spits on floor]. If I use a charger supplied with my Kindle then the Moto G powers off to the battery icon described above.
All I can say is that I think Motorola should have supplied a charger in the first place if the phone is sensitive to these things

Posted via Android Central App

Do you mean to tell me the phone didn't come with a charger?

g2

Moto G does not come with a charger.

It comes with a USB lead so can charge it from Laptop or PC or can purchase a wall charger for Moto at reasonable cost if needed. If it came with phone would have increased the cost more than buying one would.

I guess at this point I am assuming that the International GSM version doesn't come with a charger? Because my Verizon Moto G came with one in the package. However that doesn't make any difference as my Moto G turns off soon as it is plugged in with the provided wall charger.

jlgraham

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I have this same thing happen with my Moto X, I just posted about it a few days ago on those forums. http://forums.androidcentral.com/moto-x/355636-moto-x-will-not-stay-off-when-plugged.html

When I plug my Moto X into my iMac to charge - using an aftermarket cable from Parts-Express - while the phone is off, it will turn itself back on. If I use the included Moto brand wall charger and cable, it will stay off and show the white screen with battery charging icon. Same goes for the charger that came with my OG Droid, the Moto X will charge while off.

Not sure if it's the USB cable I'm using, or the fact that I was plugging it into a computer, but if you need to charge your phone while it is off, I'd suggest picking up a Moto brand charger and cable.

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if it's the USB cable I'm using, or the fact that I was plugging it into a computer

With my G, it happens as described here
http://forums.androidcentral.com/moto-g/344037-moto-g-charge-when-powered-off-2.html#post3413514
regardless of the charger or the cable. I have a charger and cable that came with my ASUS MeMO, another with the wife's Fire and a generic 2.1A charger using the G cable. We leave them plugged in around the house so we have chargers for any device wherever we are.

It is also the same using the laptop as a charging supply, but it has a defined charging USB-2 port that does not turn off with the PC.

pedro1977

May 12, 2012
Visit site
If you're having problems with the phone not powering off while charging, could you indicate the following:
Moto g model number
Kit kat or jb
When charging from comp?
When charging from wall sock?
Boot loader unlocked?
Rooted or previously rooted since last reflash of current ROM if applicable.

Peter

ColbyJvonBrown

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
They tell you in Help? That didn't include a charge because most people already have a charging brick for the device and to cut cost to get it to such a low price. But Verizon's & Boost Mobile's version they include a wired Motorola charger with the M logo dimple on it just like the phone. But the Verizon version is $99 which comes to $120 with the Walmart Product Protection Plan. And the Boost Mobile version is $129.99 on Boost's website which comes to about $135 that's not including the monthly insurance. Hope this helps!!!😄

paulw3

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I noticed when I first got my wife's Moto G that it would power on when a charger was plugged in. Never been a biggy with her as she leaves it on all the time. And yes down here in New Zealand all Moto Gs have a USB cable and plug pack in the box. Some even have the snapper case included..

Gutawer

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
No, moto g does not come with a charger head. It comes with a USB lead however. It shouldn't really matter as every phone nowadays comes with a charger head. You'll have one laying around.

neu smurph

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Whether or not Moto G comes with a supplied wall charger or just a data cable depends on which market it was bought.

The powering up on charging an issue with some wall chargers. I use Blackberry chargers for my Moto G. They don't switch the phone on.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non