Moto G - Charge when powered off?

MS100

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
I've tried powering off then plugging in, and vice versa. However the phone always turns itself back on.
Seems a bit odd to me

Posted via Android Central App

Harvinder Sunila

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Re: Charge when powered off?

I've tried powering off then plugging in, and vice versa. However the phone always turns itself back on.
Seems a bit odd to me

Hi MS100,
It doesn't actually reboot or turn on...when I plug in my powered off G into a charger it shows up the purple M Motorola logo but not the boot up animation, then it shows a large logo of a battery against a plain white background, the inside of the battery is blue with a lightning logo and underneath the battery logo is the % and number.

MS100

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi all
I'm charging via a wall plug and the original micro USB cable.

When I plug in then power off, the phone powers off showing a black screen for 2 or 3 seconds, then it starts up showing the full animation, then motarola logo, then finally the home screen

Last edited:

MS100

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
A partial answer: this only happens with USB wall chargers from Apple [spits on floor]. If I use a charger supplied with my Kindle then the Moto G powers off to the battery icon described above.
All I can say is that I think Motorola should have supplied a charger in the first place if the phone is sensitive to these things

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
A partial answer: this only happens with USB wall chargers from Apple [spits on floor]. If I use a charger supplied with my Kindle then the Moto G powers off to the battery icon described above.
All I can say is that I think Motorola should have supplied a charger in the first place if the phone is sensitive to these things

Do you mean to tell me the phone didn't come with a charger?

g2

MotoClive

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Wow...just wow. I don't think I've heard of any other phone that eschews the charger.

Optimus G Pro
It comes with a USB lead so can charge it from Laptop or PC or can purchase a wall charger for Moto at reasonable cost if needed. If it came with phone would have increased the cost more than buying one would.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I've seen chargers for $5. I think Moto could include a complete charger without noticeably raising the price. It's just the Moto G but still.

g2

strav22

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I've seen chargers for $5. I think Moto could include a complete charger without noticeably raising the price. It's just the Moto G but still.

g2

I think there are a few other things to consider

1. Size: the box is tiny, not sure how they would fit one in there unless it was small as well. Usually the smaller the charger, the higher the price
2. Selling the device around the world: They can sell the global one in the US and Europe without having to worry about which charger to supply.
3. Most people have a charger or use their computer.
4. Chargers are inexpensive, or you could buy an accessory from Motorola (which Moto will make a profit on)

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I think there are a few other things to consider

1. Size: the box is tiny, not sure how they would fit one in there unless it was small as well. Usually the smaller the charger, the higher the price
2. Selling the device around the world: They can sell the global one in the US and Europe without having to worry about which charger to supply.
3. Most people have a charger or use their computer.
4. Chargers are inexpensive, or you could buy an accessory from Motorola (which Moto will make a profit on)

You've taken the time to list four excuses as to why Moto didn't include a charger with the G. Thank you. I believe that if the device was $60 those four bullet points may be reasons.

I do not have a dog in this one, however, as Moto currently offers no device I'd be willing to pay for. For those that are willing to use the G perhaps they couldn't care less that they didn't receive earphones or a charger.

g2

Last edited:

strav22

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
You've taken the time to list four excuses as to why Moto didn't include a charger with the G. Thank you. If the device was $60 they'd be reasons.

g2

Your response is greatly appreciated and really informative. I didn't mention "excuses". I view the four points as potential reasons that affected the business decision to exclude the charger. They also exclude NFC, LTE, removable battery, etc. All are business decisions to get to a certain price point and value. Its been reported they only make 5% from each Moto G, a fraction of most devices on the market today. With this kind of tight margin, I'm not surprised of lack of charger.

Plus, from all the reviews I've read, the lack of charger hasn't been a deal breaker.

strav22

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Seems a bit odd to me

Back to the topic, I'm also noticing this. I can turn off my Nexus 5 and charge it with out it turning back on. The Moto G will start up if the phone is off and I plug it in to charge.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Its been reported they only make 5% from each Moto G, a fraction of most devices on the market today. With this kind of tight margin, I'm not surprised of lack of charger.

Plus, from all the reviews I've read, the lack of charger hasn't been a deal breaker.

You'll have to forgive me. I really need to get through my thick skull that some are actually looking for the lowest cost devices and by excluding accessories Moto so better able to answer that market. They may have been able to increase their profit by leaving out the USB cable as well.

g2

strav22

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
You'll have to forgive me. I really need to get through my thick skull that some are actually looking for the lowest cost devices and by excluding accessories Moto so better able to answer that market. They may have been able to increase their profit by leaving out the USB cable as well.

g2

Well recognition is the first step. There are alternative devices like the S4 mini, S3 mini, htc one mini that will include those accessories and other features. Luckily consumers have the choice of purchasing the device they want for the price they want. Those companies have left enough profit margin to include these accessories and make money.

Some see a lack of charger as very minor missing feature compared to not receiving timely updates and bloatware.

BobbyTC

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Can I use my Nexus 4 charger to charge my Wife's Moto G (GSM-international version)?

120 volts same as USA (Dominican Republic)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomarsha95